Author Topic: SHTF Book List  (Read 1704 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
SHTF Book List
« on: February 26, 2012, 12:36:19 PM »
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: SHTF Book List
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 12:46:52 PM »
Good list.

I did take a look at the WHO suggesting of essential medicines ( http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2011/a95053_eng.pdf ).  Sadly for the self-sufficent among us, most of the core medicines would be very challenging to get legally.  (Even things that aren't scheduled still require a perscription)

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 02:24:40 PM »
The concept of medicinal shelf life ruined the notion of even attempting it for me.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 08:38:44 PM »
Most of the medicinal stuff you can economically stock will be preventative. Vitamins, alcohol, peroxide, bandages, vinegar, whiskey, soap, etc. An eye towards preventative care and hygiene. If you have a specific condition try to keep 90 days on hand somehow.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:06:55 PM »
Basically, the US military field, medical and engineering manuals should be a staple starting point. Then all the reference books you can find on food production, medicine, engineering, masonry, crafting, electricity, etc. Personally, I prefer to have my books in both print and ebook. eBooks on either a dedicated reader, tablet or netbook. Plus on a flash drive or two. Stripped of DRM, of course.  

Oddly enough, the old gentleman who was housesitting my place until I bought it left me a copy of The Encyclopedia of Country Living. Like it thus far. Oddly enough, most of the Foxfire books, I did not care for. Oh, don't get me wrong. Plenty of nuggets of good stuff, but plenty of meh as well. Just be prepared to sift for them.

I also recommend "Mini Farming: Self Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre" and Pocket Ref.  

Good rule of thumb. Stay away from survival books, unless they're dedicated to normal wilderness survival type stuff. They're fine for entertainment, nuggets of good information and "sole book in the rucksack". But they will never beat dedicated discipline books for reference material.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:10:55 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 09:10:10 PM »

Oddly enough, the old gentleman who was housesitting my place until I bought it left me a copy of The Encyclopedia of Country Living.

That book is a must-have. Really great general reference, and many ideas to follow up on.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."