Author Topic: Selective media editing to push political agenda  (Read 3867 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
Selective media editing to push political agenda
« on: February 03, 2013, 07:06:32 PM »
Well, I don't know what exactly to call it, but remember those news reports that said 'gun owners' were heartless and rude and showed them apparently "heckling" one of the Newtown kid's dad during a hearing? Turns out it isn't quite so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFEkmwNJA9Q

So, talk about biased news hmmmm...
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Selective media editing to push political agenda
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 08:26:40 PM »
That doesn't surprise you does it? The "news" has been manipulating the truth to fit their agenda since pretty much forever.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 01:53:11 AM »
Let's see, the Lamestream Propaganda Corps ignored Fast & Furious, but continued reporting that US sourced guns were being found at Mexico crime scenes, demonized George Zimmerman by creatively editing 911 recordings and using old photos that misrepresented the facts and parties involved and now the contrived "heckling" of one of the SH parents. And that's barely scratching the surface.

Nope they can't be trusted and are as far as I'm concerned, they are a domestic enemy. They have long since stopped being impatial, objective and being a check against corrupt govt.

[ar15]
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:38:11 AM »

Nope they can't be trusted and are as far as I'm concerned, they are a domestic enemy. They have long since stopped being impatial, objective and being a check against corrupt govt.

[ar15]

They never were impartial and have always been biased to some degree. They used to be more up front about it, but then this mythology of crusading reporter started and people seemed to believe that media outlets were some kind of logical, detached entity that should just focus on the "truth."
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
Well, I don't know what exactly to call it, but remember those news reports that said 'gun owners' were heartless and rude and showed them apparently "heckling" one of the Newtown kid's dad during a hearing? Turns out it isn't quite so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFEkmwNJA9Q

So, talk about biased news hmmmm...

Say it ain't so, Joe!

http://youtu.be/fvBQDHqdCck

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 09:36:54 AM »
Iceberg principle.

Just as most of an iceberg is below the surface, for every instance like this that we hear about, I'm absolutely certain that there are many more that never come to light.

And . . . if the media gets it wrong so often on topics we're familiar with - why should we trust them to be accurate on topics we're NOT so familiar with?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 09:42:35 AM »
Wasn't it the head of CBS News that recently was quoted as saying that the GOP needs to be destroyed?

Not that this is new to the news field...go back to the yellow journalism of the time leading to the Spanish American war.  Hearst spun the news to get his desired results.  Appears that the news agencies today are doing the same thing, just changing to domestic issues instead of international...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 10:57:09 AM »
Wasn't it the head of CBS News that recently was quoted as saying that the GOP needs to be destroyed?

Not that this is new to the news field...go back to the yellow journalism of the time leading to the Spanish American war.  Hearst spun the news to get his desired results.  Appears that the news agencies today are doing the same thing, just changing to domestic issues instead of international...

Yeah, that was the beginning of American Imperialism  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 11:48:54 AM »
Honesty/integrity/impartiality in journalism probably peaked right around the 1950's and then went downhill when the Vietnam war gave the MSM the idea of having a "unified cause", and Woodward and Bernstein put "change the world" stars into the eyes of every journalism student since. Add to that the usual "power corrupts" factor going on, and the explosion of electronic media.

We're probably back down to the lows of the Spanish American war/Hearst/"Remember the Maine" days. The problem is now, that unlike then, the bias of the media doesn't even really align with the nominal interests of America anymore.

The one bright spot is the slow death of the MSM in the face of the Internet and mobile computing. People whine that there's an echo-chamber effect as people can self-select what they like in a fragmented and more democratic mediascape, however, I think this is better than the constant and near monolithic leftist push.

The downside is that the last two or three election cycles indicates the MSM is not dying fast enough, and that the Left has made some serious strides in forming their "permanent majority" through dependency and illegal immigration etc.
I promise not to duck.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 12:04:03 PM »
A thought...any chance we could see the various outlets turn on each other?  Get CBS to report that NBC is altering facts, or something along those lines?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 12:40:54 PM »
Chris, that first clip is actually exactly that... CNN reporting that MSNBC did some "creative editing" to portray the guy carrying an AR at an Obamacare rally as racist...   Except the guy was black, so they did a close crop of the video to not show his skin (he was wearing a long sleeved white shirt....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 03:40:49 PM »
My fault.  I was on my Nook color when I posted, and the video wasn't software compatible.

I was just wondering if the media people started watching each other, looking for those "gotcha" moments, maybe they'd be less likely to create the news, and just report it.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 07:35:58 AM »
It would be nice...  Wonder how we could encourage that...  And not just on guns, even...
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 07:40:55 AM »
Lying liars lying.
The media is nothing more than the propaganda arm of big government.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 08:45:17 AM »
Lying liars lying.
The media is nothing more than the propaganda arm of big government.

Ayup. People should really unsubscribe from all these corporate news channels> Don't patronize them with your peepers. Give it a try. Prohibit any TV news (or any TV whatsoever) in your household for about a month and witness your viewpoints change. Need to stay informed? READ multiple internet news articles. Just the facts ma'am, leave the loudmouth opinionated actors newscasters out if it.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 10:14:46 AM »
Ayup. People should really unsubscribe from all these corporate news channels> Don't patronize them with your peepers. Give it a try. Prohibit any TV news (or any TV whatsoever) in your household for about a month and witness your viewpoints change. Need to stay informed? READ multiple internet news articles. Just the facts ma'am, leave the loudmouth opinionated actors newscasters out if it.

Getting news from multiple news sources is a great idea, but the internet is full of loudmouthed, opinionated liars.  I have had more than a few people say that I should ignore the MSM, but get my news from the morons at places like naturalnews.  No thanks.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.