Author Topic: Please don't tattoo 'DNR' on your body  (Read 3134 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Please don't tattoo 'DNR' on your body
« on: December 01, 2017, 12:17:00 PM »
https://gizmodo.com/unconscious-patient-with-do-not-resuscitate-tattoo-caus-1820881602

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1713344?af=R&rss=currentIssue

If this situation was presented to me, I would have done pretty much what the medical staff ended up doing: provide medical care until such time as we got more clarity on the wishes of the patient.  Given the legal and ethical requirements around DNR orders, I am not sure that a DNR tattoo, without other supporting documentation or next of kin, carries much weight.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Please don't tattoo 'DNR' on your body
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 12:28:27 PM »
I'm thinking that it darn well should.  Getting a tattoo is a big step forward from "merely" signing some papers.

If I change my mind, I'd get the tat altered.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 12:56:21 PM »
I'm thinking that it darn well should.  Getting a tattoo is a big step forward from "merely" signing some papers.

If I change my mind, I'd get the tat altered.

If your tattoo has the necessary legal boilerplate and signature of witnesses as required by law, I would be happy to honor it.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »
My take is this type of tattoo is not done in jest. It took a conscious decision to put it on there. I would have argued to honor it and let him make the celestial transfer. I would bet one person planted the seed of doubt in the health care team and so they decided to take the safe approach and ignore his wishes.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 03:17:08 PM »
DNR = "Dead Right Now"

or "Do Not Return" (ro where? Dunno)

or "Down Right Nuts"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 03:17:21 PM »
My take is this type of tattoo is not done in jest. It took a conscious decision to put it on there. I would have argued to honor it and let him make the celestial transfer. I would bet one person planted the seed of doubt in the health care team and so they decided to take the safe approach and ignore his wishes.

bob

There's a link in that gizmodo article to a guy that did it in jest.   :lol:

Regardless of the patients earnestness, it doesn't fulfill the legal requirements to let yourself die.

As you all know, your life is not yours to take willy-nilly. It belongs to the state, and there are forms to be filled put before you can end it.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 03:32:25 PM »
What if the patient has "Do Not Resuscitate" tattooed on his chest and "Please Resuscitate" tattooed on his back?   Does the hospital staff flip the body and see if it comes up heads or tails?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

BobR

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 03:49:37 PM »
What if the patient has "Do Not Resuscitate" tattooed on his chest and "Please Resuscitate" tattooed on his back?   Does the hospital staff flip the body and see if it comes up heads or tails?

Would only assess the back in time to do anything if he were a trauma. Otherwise it might take a while to get there.  ;)

"The assessment isn't complete until you roll the patient".*

*TNCC (Trauma Nursing Core Course) mantra you never forget.

bob

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 04:44:19 PM »
If your tattoo has the necessary legal boilerplate and signature of witnesses as required by law, I would be happy to honor it.

How many people carry copies of their standing DNR orders?  Unless the patient is known to the staff, and has a DNR order on record at the hospital, I doubt any medical staff would know about a DNR order.  Some random guy off the street with DNR on his chest seems to be a much more immediate and clear request than having a DNR order on file somewhere.

I know the staff and hospital will always cover their butts first, but that tattoo on the chest makes a good argument.  Even if the tattoo was a joke, the idea of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" seems to apply.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 04:49:05 PM »
How many people carry copies of their standing DNR orders?  Unless the patient is known to the staff, and has a DNR order on record at the hospital, I doubt any medical staff would know about a DNR order.  Some random guy off the street with DNR on his chest seems to be a much more immediate and clear request than having a DNR order on file somewhere.

I know the staff and hospital will always cover their butts first, but that tattoo on the chest makes a good argument.  Even if the tattoo was a joke, the idea of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" seems to apply.

While I agree with the sentiment, I wouldn't want to be a part of the medical staff when that lawsuit came in.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 04:51:08 PM »

In FL it's common to see DNR's posted in doors or Windows where responding paramedics will see them. My elderly ex-neighbor had hers posted in such a fashion, and it saved some time when they ambulance showed for the last time.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 04:54:30 PM »
  Even if the tattoo was a joke, the idea of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" seems to apply.

Except for the $10mil lawsuit filed by the grieving family with evidence of the images all over friendface stating it was a joke. I agree with the Darwinistic aspect if it was a joke, but I understand why a hospital wouldn't want to take the chance in a litigious society where you can get millions for tripping on a watermelon pallet.

It IS a very good point about "How many carry DNR paperwork?"  My paperwork is pretty much "just let me die", but how would a hospital know that if I were hit by a bus? Eventually they would find out, but not until they potentially put me through a bunch of painful "lifesaving" measures that had me looking like a Borg.

Edit: BSL and Dogmush touched on my points as a typed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 06:56:56 PM »
How many people carry copies of their standing DNR orders?  Unless the patient is known to the staff, and has a DNR order on record at the hospital, I doubt any medical staff would know about a DNR order.  Some random guy off the street with DNR on his chest seems to be a much more immediate and clear request than having a DNR order on file somewhere.

I know the staff and hospital will always cover their butts first, but that tattoo on the chest makes a good argument.  Even if the tattoo was a joke, the idea of "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" seems to apply.

Washington, and many other states, are very big on the POLST orders.

PS: I forgot to add that some forward-looking states are creating electronic POLST registries so we can look them up: http://www.orpolstregistry.org/  and http://www.caredirectives.org/
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 07:09:54 PM by MillCreek »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 07:08:29 PM »
Can't imagine the backlash if they decided to follow a random tattoo and not resuscitate him, and then find out later it was just some joke tattoo.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 07:14:16 PM »
Can't imagine the backlash if they decided to follow a random tattoo and not resuscitate him, and then find out later it was just some joke tattoo.

This is what I do for a living, and this is why I would not honor such a tattoo.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 07:35:15 PM »
Washington, and many other states, are very big on the POLST orders.

POLST = ????
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

BobR

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 08:13:55 PM »

http://polst.org/

We tell people with these to post them prominently on their refrigerator so EMS can find it and to also bring with them to any ER visit.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 09:10:08 PM »
^^^They are also often printed on neon-colored paper so as to be easy to spot.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 07:21:30 AM »
Except for the $10mil lawsuit filed by the grieving family with evidence of the images all over friendface stating it was a joke. I agree with the Darwinistic aspect if it was a joke, but I understand why a hospital wouldn't want to take the chance in a litigious society where you can get millions for tripping on a watermelon pallet.

Of course, they can also sue for millions because you didn't honor their request.

You're screwed no matter what you do.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 08:10:00 AM »
Of course, they can also sue for millions because you didn't honor their request.

You're screwed no matter what you do.

One of the choices can always be reversed.  :angel:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 06:58:16 PM »
^^^They are also often printed on neon-colored paper so as to be easy to spot.

Are EMTs trained to look for those papers?  Or to look for DNR/MedAlert bracelets?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BobR

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 07:29:41 PM »
Are EMTs trained to look for those papers?  Or to look for DNR/MedAlert bracelets?

I know they are here in WA, as well as scooping up any medicine bottles they can find lying around.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2017, 09:06:33 PM »

Yes to both.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 09:14:27 PM »
DNR = "Dead Right Now"

or "Do Not Return" (ro where? Dunno)

or "Down Right Nuts"

Department of Natural Resources ???
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.