Author Topic: Takata airbags, the gift that keeps on giving  (Read 243 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Takata airbags, the gift that keeps on giving
« on: January 31, 2024, 07:15:27 AM »
In case you thought the Takata airbag saga was over.

DETROIT — Toyota and General Motors are telling the owners of about 61,000 older Corolla, RAV4, Matrix/ Pontiac Vibe models to stop driving them because their Takata airbag inflators are at risk of exploding and hurling shrapnel.

The urgent warning Monday covers:

Certain Corolla compact cars and Matrix hatchbacks from the 2003 and 2004 model years.
    RAV4 small SUVs from 2004 and 2005.
    Also covered are about 11,000 Pontiac Vibes from 2003 and 2004, which are essentially the same as the Matrix and were made at the same California factory.

Most of the vehicles are in the U.S.

“If the airbag deploys, a part inside is more likely to explode and shoot sharp metal fragments, which could cause serious injury or death to the driver or passengers,” Toyota said in a statement.

Toyota urges owners of old Corolla, Matrix and RAV4 models to park them until airbags are replaced
Don't even drive these particular cars to the dealer — the dealer will come to you
https://www.autoblog.com/2024/01/29/toyota-urges-owners-of-old-corolla-matrix-and-rav4-models-to-park-them-until-airbags-are-replaced/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000015

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Takata airbags, the gift that keeps on giving
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 10:00:38 AM »
I'm temped to pull the cover off of mine (07 Focus) just to make sure it's not another one they over looked.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Takata airbags, the gift that keeps on giving
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 10:27:27 AM »
I'm wondering about my '97 Subaru.  It's old enough that few of them are on the road, so "who cares?"

I guess the trick is to (A) don't follow too closely and (B) drive a half mile ahead of your car.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.