Author Topic: Atheist Group Files Lawsuit Against Display of WTC Cross at 9/11 Memorial  (Read 5062 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/27/atheist-group-files-lawsuit-against-display-wtc-cross-at-11-memorial/

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is all private money funding the memorial and such.  Such that the case they don't have one.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
This is typical....

people misunderstanding what "separation of church and state" actually means.

Congress shall make no law respecting, etc....

seems to me congress has nothing to do with this memorial
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

brimic

• friends
The WTC cross has become a Christian icon. It has been blessed by so-called holy men and presented as a reminder that their god, who couldn't be bothered to stop the Muslim terrorists or prevent 3,000 people from being killed in his name, cared only enough to bestow upon us some rubble that resembles a cross," the group's president, Dave Silverman, said in a press release. "It's a truly ridiculous assertion."

So if there really isn't a God, why make such statements or why be offended by it?

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
 Atheists are even worse than libertarians at PR. I swear, it's like they're trying to make people dislike them.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
Atheists are even worse than libertarians at PR. I swear, it's like they're trying to make people dislike them.
Worse than that, it seems too many of them seem to be trying to outlaw any and all public displays or mention of anything Christian.  I like that we keep govt and religion basically separate, but they keep pushing and pushing.  Most Christians are pretty tolerant, but these people are extremely intolerant of anything they don't agree with. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
Plus if I read correctly somewhere there were going to be Jewish and Muslim symbols of faith there also.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends

may i use that as my sig line on another forum?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
^

Will it piss off a bunch of atheists????   *grin*
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?

may i use that as my sig line on another forum?

Sure, go right ahead. Just copy paste if you attribute it to me so the punctuation and such is correct.  :P  :lol:

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Plus if I read correctly somewhere there were going to be Jewish and Muslim symbols of faith there also.

The Mohammed shaped urinals are expected to be a theft risk, though.

De Selby

• friend
The Mohammed shaped urinals are expected to be a theft risk, though.

Classy - how is treating Islam this way any different to how Saudis talk about Judaism?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
Jews aren't blowing up Saudis, and Saudis are actively supporting terrorism against both Americans in Iraq and Jews in Israel?

De Selby

• friend
Jews aren't blowing up Saudis, and Saudis are actively supporting terrorism against both Americans in Iraq and Jews in Israel?

Ah yes - how did we decide that all muslims are responsible for the deeds is Saudis?  Or that they're all responsible for terrorism again?  And how does this warrant peeing on their religion?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Some Atheists are even worse than libertarians at PR. I swear, it's like they're trying to make people dislike them.

FTFY =D
Not all atheists are of the militant anti-religion bent.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 06:42:28 AM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
I didn't say I approved of the comment, or any of that other crap ypou attribute to me. i merely answered your question of how his comment was different than the saudi treatment of jews.

MicroBalrog

• friend

Balog.

What would you do if I stole your lawn on the argument you weren't building anything on it, and then brought it a trailer home, parked it on your lawn, and rented it to a family of Mexicans?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/27/atheist-group-files-lawsuit-against-display-wtc-cross-at-11-memorial/

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is all private money funding the memorial and such. Such that the case they don't have one.

I don't have time this morning to go digging deeper, but based on verbiage in their own operations FAQ they do get federal funding.

http://www.911memorial.org/sites/all/files/memorial%20operations.pdf

Personally I think the cross should be allowed, but if so they should also allow memorial space for every other faith represented by the victims.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

MechAg94

• friend
I don't have time this morning to go digging deeper, but based on verbiage in their own operations FAQ they do get federal funding.

http://www.911memorial.org/sites/all/files/memorial%20operations.pdf

Personally I think the cross should be allowed, but if so they should also allow memorial space for every other faith represented by the victims.
I don't think anyone has a problem with that last.  It is a the people trying to remove any religious symbols that I think it wrong and kind of silly.

Maybe they can have a Cross, a Star of David, a Crescent, and then a blank spot to represent atheists.  I'm not sure what would be good for agnostics, but they are probably not sure either.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
I don't think anyone has a problem with that last.  It is a the people trying to remove any religious symbols that I think it wrong and kind of silly.

Maybe they can have a Cross, a Star of David, a Crescent, and then a blank spot to represent atheists.  I'm not sure what would be good for agnostics, but they are probably not sure either.

That's easy....

A question mark.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend

There would be screams of hysterical outrage over a crescent.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
As an atheist, I never got the idea of pushing atheisim.   ???

My one question, though, who is paying for the cross?
Oh, yes, we are, the taxpayers.  For once, I would agree with the organized atheists, but not for the reason they are pushing.  Taxpayer funding should never be used to erect a religious symbol.
If the cross were being funded privately, though, then hey, who gives a flying spagetti monster?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend

There would be screams of hysterical outrage over a crescent.

Would?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
As an atheist, I never got the idea of pushing atheisim.   ???

My one question, though, who is paying for the cross?
Oh, yes, we are, the taxpayers.  For once, I would agree with the organized atheists, but not for the reason they are pushing.  Taxpayer funding should never be used to erect a religious symbol.
If the cross were being funded privately, though, then hey, who gives a flying spagetti monster?

Like all currently minted and printed legal tender?

Balog.

What would you do if I stole your lawn on the argument you weren't building anything on it, and then brought it a trailer home, parked it on your lawn, and rented it to a family of Mexicans?

So your contention is that the screaming beards calling for the genocide of the Israeli Jews are justified? Man, I know they say Jews are self loathing but that's extreme...  :P

I lol'ed...

MicroBalrog

• friend
So your contention is that the screaming beards calling for the genocide of the Israeli Jews are justified? Man, I know they say Jews are self loathing but that's extreme...  Tongue

What I am saying is that the ISraeli government has sponsored policies - and is sponsoring policies - towards Palestinians in the West Bank that, if practiced by a foreign government against the Americans, would cause citizens to rise up in arms.

Jews - to what extent the Jewish state is a representative of 'the Jews' - have practiced actions against Palestinians that are not justifiable by terrorism, just in the same way as the terrorism is not justified by those actions.

Therefore, yes, Jews do routinely do unfair and evil stuff to innocent Muslims. It is not justified by the fact the other Muslims do evil stuff to Jews.

wmenorr67

• friend
There is always one religion or another doing something to another in the name of God.  Has been going on forever and will go on long after we have left this earth.  Doesn't make it right but nothing that we can do to stop it either.