Author Topic: The one about jack stands  (Read 11546 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: The one about jack stands
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2016, 04:53:59 PM »
Oh I don't know, just the holy *expletive deleted*ing retarded advice of standing up pieces of steel tubing as jackstands or making your own and so forth
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2016, 05:22:57 PM »
Goddamn what the *expletive deleted*ck...

No just no to half this thread

Jack stands are typically rated as used in pairs. Therefore 3 ton stands aren't really 3 ton.

Harbor freight if you must but I do not trust my life to anything sold at that store. There are better brands. Overkill is very good in jackstands

Well?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2016, 05:26:11 PM »
I guess cinder blocks are out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re:
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2016, 05:41:08 PM »
I guess cinder blocks are out

Along those lines, a pile of 6" segments of 2x4 is also counter-indicated.

Oh I don't know, just the holy *expletive deleted*ing retarded advice of standing up pieces of steel tubing as jackstands or making your own and so forth

That was one person and the rest of us disagreeing...

As for HF, we were recommending 6 ton units, remember?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2016, 05:51:27 PM »
Jack stands are a once in a lifetime purchase. I have a set of four 3 ton craftsmans ones I picked up on clearance from a Kmart store shortly after the Sears/Kmart incident.

My dad still has the 3ton Buffalo tools ones I bought in 1989 when I got my first junker car.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re:
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2016, 05:53:32 PM »

2x6 works much better.  6x6 saves a lot of extra stacking though.

Cinderblocks are too bulky; hard to work around them.

Jack stands are a once in a lifetime purchase. I have a set of four 3 ton craftsmans ones I picked up on clearance from a Kmart store shortly after the Sears/Kmart incident.

My dad still has the 3ton Buffalo tools ones I bought in 1989 when I got my first junker car.

So how many lifetimes have you lived now?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re:
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2016, 05:59:47 PM »
2x6 works much better.  6x6 saves a lot of extra stacking though.

Cinderblocks are too bulky; hard to work around them.

I left my first set with Dad when I  moved away to college. He was still using them when I got my first adult job so I  bought another set. Not that hard to figure out, even for you.

Cinder block? Had a family friend die when he used cinder blocks as Jack stands and they crumbled under there weight of the car while he was working on the car alone. Figured it took several hours for him to die, not a nice way to go.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2016, 06:07:00 PM »

That was one person and the rest of us disagreeing...

No *expletive deleted*it I was specifically talking about him

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2016, 07:22:33 PM »
I've been using Harbor Freight 3-ton jack stands for years. They're fine.

FWIW, a pickup weighs less than a comparable auto, unless you plan to put it on the jack stands fully loaded. I drive both Jeep Cherokees and Jeep Comanches. The Comanche is the pickup version of the Cherokee, and the Comache's curb weight isn't more than the Cherokee's.

Besides -- jack stands are over-rated ...

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zahc

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2016, 07:28:44 PM »
I just bought what they had at O'Reilly or Autozone or wherever I was getting my brake parts. They seem fine.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2016, 08:45:32 PM »
http://summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Jack-Stands/

One thing not yet mentioned is height.  Most jack stands are adustable, using a toothed cam or quick release ratchet of some sort.  Avoid the tubular stands with holes and a pin.  Not sure if they are still on the market, I have one left that is reserved for light duty applications only.  

The NAPA 6 ton stands purchased when all I had off road 4x4s are great, but I paid too much.  NAPA is like that.  
Their minimum height is about 14".  The problem is jacking, say, a Civic high enough to get the stands in place.  Setting one corner of a small car on one stand with 14" of articulation is nerve wracking enough, and then wheeling the Jack to the other side, to even it out, trying to find a horizontal jacking point...
That scenario that led to me only having one small stand and a divot in the concrete driveway.

At 40 bucks a pair, buy stands to fit the vehicle.  Also, consider a good quality rolling floor Jack (watch the minimum height on it, too)

7-11 was a part time job.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2016, 08:46:15 PM »
Well?

US Jack is a good one, Hein Werner and OTC (not the Stinger series) are other good ones.

Like I said, you are relying on this equipment to hold a heavy weight above you and stop it from crushing you. Do you really think it's wise to seek bargains in this category? I sure as hell don't.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2016, 09:56:18 PM »
What boomhauer said re: Harbor Freight. I still buy a good bit of tools there, but ever since I spun a lug wrench in half (1/2" diameter finest chinese pot metal, along the shaft, not at a weld) from there I opted against trusting my life to anything purchased there.

I ended up getting some 3 and 6 ton Craftsman stands from Sears that I've been happy with, but given the quality decline in a lot of Craftsman stuff, I may not be any further along than Harbor Freight . . .

Amazon has some highly rated 6-ton stands for ~$56 with free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T46002A-Double-Locking-Stands/dp/B00026Z3DQ Though I can't speak to that brand at all.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2016, 10:53:03 PM »
US Jack is a good one, Hein Werner and OTC (not the Stinger series) are other good ones.

Thanks. That's pretty much why I started this thread. I don't know any brand names for these things. Are those something I will find locally, or should I internet them?

Thanks again.

One thing not yet mentioned is height. 
At 40 bucks a pair, buy stands to fit the vehicle.

Also awesome advice.

Also, consider a good quality rolling floor Jack (watch the minimum height on it, too)

I'll get that when I get the garage to go with it.  ;)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re:
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2016, 07:50:39 AM »

Given your penchant for coming up with inane solutions to regular problems, I'm guessing you've gone through a couple of the nine allotted to to you.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2016, 08:40:57 AM »
Harbor Freight, and buy heavier ones than you think you need in case the ratings are inflated.
I've heard repeated advice that one ought NOT buy ANYTHING from Harbor Freight if your life may depend on it . . . and if you have to crawl under the vehicle . . .  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2016, 09:13:40 AM »
One, always go for a much higher rating than needed. As others stated, the rating is typically for pairs. Paying an extra $20 for much higher rated jacks is worth it if it has even a 0.001% chance of saving your life. Which is does.

Harbor Freight will work. I'd recommend better, but they'll work if you buy drastically over the rating you need. With any jack, try to inspect it carefully. And obviously be careful in placement. Do not, repeat, DO NOT, try to make your own. KD5NRH, not sure if trolling or just giving irresponsible advice. That's on par with shoving a fork into an electrical outlet. Short of very specialized applications like aircraft or crane support, you should never try to make your own jacks. Even the custom jacks we used for very large aircraft were commercially made or special ordered with the welds x-rayed for quality control. Unless you have professional welders of exceptional skill AND the facilities for non-destructive testing, that's not a bad idea, it's a dangerous one.

Buy commercial jacks, buy bigger than you'll need, spend the money on quality. Any brand name is fine. Even overrated Harbor Freight jacks are fine so long as you inspect and test before putting anyone under the vehicle. In a pinch or if you don't feel like doing that much work, go on Amazon and pick jacks with lots of ratings.  

Torin T46002A Double Locking Jack Stands - 6 Ton, 1 pair are $57 on Amazon and I'd definitely buy a set if I didn't have a four six ton Craftsman jacks at home. The locking pins are nicer than the ones I have and I'm actually tempted to upgrade. I did buy one of those quasi racing style jacks from Harbor Freight. It lifts my truck for the jack stands, and I don't bet my life on it. I do actually recommend them, just not for safety critical applications.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2016, 09:54:39 AM »
That's on par with shoving a fork into an electrical outlet.

Oh yeah right.  Like you've never tested one that way.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2016, 10:11:45 AM »
Goddamn what the *expletive deleted*ck...

No just no to half this thread

Jack stands are typically rated as used in pairs. Therefore 3 ton stands aren't really 3 ton.

Harbor freight if you must but I do not trust my life to anything sold at that store. There are better brands. Overkill is very good in jackstands

^^Please, if you don't do anything else today, heed this post.^^
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2016, 10:13:18 AM »
A testament to Harbor Freight 6 ton jack stands:  I had an opportunity to buy a bridgeport knee mill for a very good price.  Problem was moving it.  It was located in an old warehouse, which did have a loading dock.

I decided to abuse my F250, I lined it up with the loading dock, took off the tailgate, and jacked up the back end level with the loading dock, propped up on HF 6 ton jackstands against the frame.  (I didn't want to suspension to shift when the weight hit the bed.)

Rolled that mill right into the bed.  Bed got dented for the trouble, but the jack stands held like a champ.

Now I know from factory specs that the mill weights about 2200-2400 lbs.  The stands held that, plus the weights of the rear end of the truck.  Still probably not even a third of rated capacity, but that gives me some confidence.  It's rare that I'll ever load them down more then that.

Others have said, when it's a one time purchase, and it's life and safety, so spend the extra coin on quality.  Which I absolutely agree with.  However, in this case, personally I am not convinced that any particular brand is safer/better for the extra money.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2016, 10:13:46 AM »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2016, 10:27:49 AM »
I was raised by a man with a safety mindset akin to KD5lang over there, and it took me a while to shake it.  I have a divot in the concrete of my driveway from trusting the crappy jack that came with the Subaru instead of using jack stands. I learned my lesson, and I am incredibly grateful I learned it without getting hurt.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2016, 10:31:41 AM »
Why not just wedge a couple of mortarboard hats under the car and call it good?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2016, 12:53:36 PM »

So according to that, looks like I should buy Craftsman. Anybody have G2 on Craftsman jack stands?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2016, 12:59:42 PM »
Do you have a Northern Tool near you?  They seem to be a step up from Harbor.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!