Author Topic: birth of hybrid man  (Read 7117 times)

Strings

birth of hybrid man
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2005, 09:48:24 PM »
But I DO have to agree with a lot of the things that article had to say. Men ARE being "pussified"...

But how, really, to change that?

birth of hybrid man
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2005, 11:19:08 PM »
Quote from: Hunter Rose
But I DO have to agree with a lot of the things that article had to say. Men ARE being "pussified"...

But how, really, to change that?
Do you really want to change it? More whiny girly-men just reduces the competition for the rest of us in anything. It means that i dont have to worry so much about getting in a fight at a bar, and despite common belief girls actually still like men.

mhdishere

• friend
birth of hybrid man
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2005, 05:01:28 AM »
I can imagine what my Dad (who's been dead for 17 years now) would have said had I come home looking like the guy in the picture....

He'd had dyed my hair back to its natural, medium brown color using something he shovelled up from the yard after the dog was out.  He'd have cleaned his hands on the flowery scarf, and asked me if I was moving to Venice to pole gondolas in that shirt.  He'd have then pulled up on the suspenders, thereby teaching me that there's a REASON why there are two straps on the front of men's suspenders.....

Unisaw

• friend
birth of hybrid man
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2005, 07:22:53 AM »
He'd have then pulled up on the suspenders, thereby teaching me that there's a REASON why there are two straps on the front of men's suspenders.....

Priceless!
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
birth of hybrid man
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2005, 03:34:55 AM »
Reminds me of a documentary I saw on Animal Planet...
The male desert skink would go through 3 basic behavioral changes with each generation.
1st generation: Moderate, average behavior. Female skinks had no problem with them. Skink society was stable.
2nd generation: Hostile, would attack & drive off the 1st generation. Female skinks were aggressively pursued. Skink society was in turmoil; females would become defensive or go into hiding.
3rd generation: Sneaky, would act like female skinks, lure the 2nd generation males away, then double back & mate with the females while 2nd generation skinks were searching or fighting amongst themselves. Skink society was confused & untrusting.
And then the 1st generation type would return and the the cycle would start over again.
But we humans are more evolved, right? Wink
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Brrlgrrl

• friend
birth of hybrid man
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2005, 05:27:25 AM »
The "guy" in that photo looks like a "C" word.  Caulrophobia restricts my actual use of the"C" word, and that "guy" gives me the creeps.  I bet he works at a carnival.
On the idea that men are being "pussified", I would generally agree.  However, I think it has less to do with society, and more to do with parenting or lack thereof.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
birth of hybrid man
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2005, 05:45:05 AM »
I was playing league volleyball last night and some girl on the other team commented directly to me that it was refreshing to see a real male for a change. I called my SO when I got home about what she likes about me the most and she said becuase I act how a man should and she was glad she met me. She refers to a lot of her male friends as girlfriend I know all the of those guys, they aren't gay but one would have to wonder.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Nightfall

• friend
birth of hybrid man
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2005, 06:19:52 AM »
"We are watching the birth of a hybrid man. ... Why not put on a pink-flowered shirt and try out a partner-swapping club?" asked Le Louet, stressing that the study had focused on men aged between 20 and 35.
Yeesh, count me the &%#$ out of this hybrid man stuff! rolleyes
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Cesiumsponge

birth of hybrid man
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2005, 10:15:11 AM »
Just found this article today...

Not only is man moving towards femininity, females are moving towards masculinity.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8101517/site/newsweek/

There is a running nickname here given to men who try to get a certain female they're after, but instead end up as the "best friend" type role.  They commonly get referred to as the "gay friend" even if they're not.  

As for the "affair as an excuse", I believe that there are those who have it as a legitimate excuse, and those who purposely get bored of the relationship and set up situations where it forces the wife to do so.  Though, I would hope one cannot deny that courts are in general are in favor of the female gender when it comes to allegations of domestic abuse and divorce proceedings.

However, that being said, it is harder for a more traditional male to find a traditional woman...one that will cook, clean, love, and have the time and energy to properly raise a child, in exchange for a nice chunk of the husband's paycheck (afterall, she IS working), his company, his protection, and his love.  At least, in my part of the woods.  Most women here are feminists or single mothers looking to hook someone (the single mothers, not the feminists).  I am by no means a conservative Christian Republican (in fact I'd be a semi-conservative Atheist Libertarian (that has never engaged in a recreational drug)) but I feel the above traditionalism has proven itself a working model over centuries of existance.

Instead of happy marriages, I hear a lot of marriages where the woman who marries, refuses to go into the workplace, likewise refuses to work in the homestead, and says "you have two hands, do it yourself" to dinner and bed.  Being men in general are driven by a libido, physical interaction, and physical appearance...and women are in general driven by emotional and verbal interaction, and security, the lack of these traits dooms a marriage in most cases.  

In gender dynamics of a couple's situation, many dyadic arguments can be summarized using this template:

Men have an inherent fight or flight response.  Men in general are in control of their emotions and usually go from a mild state to full anger with relatively little transition in between.  Most either try to escape or, if pushed over the edge, commit physical violence, or "verbal abuse" whatever that means.

Women in an argument will verbally hound someone until they either escape (and the woman might try going after them to continue hounding) or hound them with verbal abuse until it pushes the man over the edge.  In general, a woman is more in touch with her emotions, and in result, more easily to call upon them and loose control of them subsequently.  

Most people seem to neglect the mentioned general facts as how men and women are different, and somehow expect their methods of communication and affection-showing is identical to their partner's.  Men seem to be constantly nagging for sex from a female's perspective but they don't understand that is how they show affection.  Men are always complaining about how women want to talk their heads off about their day, emotions, etc and don't realize that is how a woman shows her affection.  

A lot of times, When it comes to domestic abuse, physical violence seems to be initiated often by a woman (such as throwing of plates, slapping, etc).  This in turn can escalate an otherwise non-confrontational man to explode in anger and return physical violence.  Keep in mind I never claim -all-.  In result, when police arrive, a lot of men neglect to make a big deal about being slapped or hit, or have objects thrown at him AND say that it injured him in fear of being seen as a sissy by this signifigant other, his peers, the police, or his ego.

In fact, it's been recommended by a pro-male, pro-father, domestic abuse/divorce court lawyer (who is a woman) locally here in an interview that if a man gets in a domestic abuse situation, and is actually being physically abused, he must  stay on the phone the entire time with 911, and then make the explicit statement to law enforcement that the physical abuse from the woman had in fact hurt him.  Otherwise, the police will likely arrest the male as they are required to arrest one party in a domestic abuse call--it's almost an engrained "norm".  In fact, one person stated that he was clear of the charges and the police were going to take his wife to jail for a few nights, but made the offer of him being able to take her place!

If such events lead to divorce (and it usually does), then alimony and child support go to the female a majority of the time.  Yes, I know...these two individuals shouldn't have married to begin with, but with marriage resembling a short-term automobile lease (hey this car looks cute, lets try it for a few years) rather than a lifelong attempt at commitment, its no wonder divorce rates are so high.  Shoulda woulda coulda.

Likewise, an alternative and equally popular family blueprint consists of two working parents and a child who doesn't get the critical benefits of being raised fulltime by at least one of the parents...thats another can of worms.

I feel that some traditional roles are naturally engrained in us and that it would be insane to discard them.  Females are seen as the loving, nurturing role in a family, and males are seen as the protector and provider.  Next time a signifigant other tells you to make your own sandwich, tell her to go out by herself into the dark and check out that bump-in-the-night.

Strings

birth of hybrid man
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2005, 11:39:59 AM »
Huh... I must be lucky: my wife is my partner. We both take care of cooking and cleaning, do our own laundry, and investigate any bump in the night together...

birth of hybrid man
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2005, 12:09:36 AM »
Quote from: Hunter Rose
Huh... I must be lucky: my wife is my partner. We both take care of cooking and cleaning, do our own laundry, and investigate any bump in the night together...
Being a woman isnt about doing dishes anymore than being a man is about NOT doing dishes.

birth of hybrid man
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2005, 12:33:23 AM »
I'd 3,000 times more want to investigate my own scary squirrel noises than deal with the moron that wrote that article.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
birth of hybrid man
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2005, 06:30:40 AM »
Alternate theory: We've been so thoroughly inculcated with the concept of "spay and neuter your pets" to control unwanted behaviors, that this is the logical extension of that idea. We're creating a generation of eunuchs.
Re: "that" photo; if I were to encounter such a person, I might have to beat "him" to a pulp just on general principles.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
birth of hybrid man
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2005, 06:48:40 AM »
So, it's finally O.K. for me to admit that I have my back waxed? Smiley
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

birth of hybrid man
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2005, 11:31:44 AM »
No.

Just no.

mtnbkr

• friend
birth of hybrid man
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2005, 03:39:34 PM »
Quote from: Blackburn
...as it will appear to them that I am wearing the bottom half of a wookie suit with the crotch cut out.
I need something sharp to poke out my minds eye.

Chris

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
birth of hybrid man
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2005, 07:08:43 PM »
Blackburn
Waaaaaaaay too much information!
Chris, when you're done with that sharp object, please share.

birth of hybrid man
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2005, 11:22:04 PM »
Quote from: El Tejon
So, it's finally O.K. for me to admit that I have my back waxed? Smiley
I think that one still needs to stay in the closet for awhile Tongue

wasrjoe

birth of hybrid man
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2005, 11:30:27 PM »
After reading his article, I wanted to kick Mr. du Toit square in the rocks. Is that bad?
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

grampster

• friend
birth of hybrid man
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2005, 04:25:36 PM »
If men started looking like the dork in the picture there would be no more war.  The evil ones would all be laughing so hard that they'd get cramps and not be able to fight.  When the cramps went away, they'd start laughing again etc.  Of course the dorks would be "offended" by the laughter and simper off to the closest coffee house to "discuss" their outrage.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Justin

• friend
birth of hybrid man
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2005, 06:06:29 PM »
Yeah but do you have the courage to wear a pink shirt yet? wink
Bah.  It takes a real man to wear pink.  Besides, nobody expects you to be carrying a pistol under a pink shirt.

/doesn't actually own any pink shirts.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Strings

birth of hybrid man
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2005, 07:34:39 PM »
They don't expect you to be wearing a pistol with a kilt, either. So?

Bemidjiblade

• friend
birth of hybrid man
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2005, 07:53:45 PM »
The dude in my picture wins the "Scary Man of the Year." picture.

That being said, I think the article is wrong and I must respectfully disagree w/ y'all as well.

Every time that I hear someone talk about how feminine something is, or how macho something else isn't, I see red.

I happen to BE homosexual, but because I liked a certain kind of clothes I was bullied, beat up, and labeled as a 'fag' for a few years before I cared about sex in any fashion.  You'd laugh at someone who might lisp, but Tecumseh was pronounced Tecumtheh (the anglos changed the name because they thought it sounded too feminine).  And if you think something feminine looking or sounding counts, well... the dude ate his enemies' hearts (while they were still beating).

But there are a lot of guys who just aren't "macho" who are perfectly straight etc.  And I think it's just as bad to traumatize, mock, or exclude them 'cause they do something that doesn't meet up with your standards.  I know of too many guys whose dads wrote them off and didn't have anything to do with them because they weren't MACHO enough.  They didn't hunt or fish so they weren't worth their parent's love.

I loved music, dancing, and at 16 on a dare I told went through the number of ways I knew how to kill someone unarmed and gave my friends nightmares.

I think it's as pathetic to push a certain fashion as "needed" as it is to bash someone just 'cause they're different than you.

It certainly doesn't seem to be taking the High Road.  Instead it seems like we're playing right into the hands of all the lib idiots who think that because we believe in individual liberty, we're knuckle-dragging neanderthals.

Strings

birth of hybrid man
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2005, 12:53:02 PM »
Huh... I don't bother with "defending my manhood" when wearing one of my kilts (or dressing REALLY well): my wife usually hit's the person commenting...

My comment of "the pussification of the American male" is aimed at something a little more nebulous, harder to define. Boils down to men not acting like "men". And sexual preferance, clothing choice, or chosen recreations have NOTHING to do with it...

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
birth of hybrid man
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2005, 12:57:20 PM »
It takes a real man to wear pink.
Or a dumb college kid who decided it would be a good idea to wash whites and reds together.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'