Author Topic: Network card help  (Read 3500 times)

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Network card help
« on: June 08, 2005, 03:44:21 PM »
OK, I just swapped out cases on my computer.  Old one was too cramped and overheated.  I have everything back together and working, save one thing.

Any network card I try cannot be started.  I have tried my onboard Realtek 8139, a PCI Wireless G, and a PCI 10/100 wired card, and they all give me the same error.  Cannot be started.

The rest of my comp is here:
MSI Neo2-V (IIRC) Intel 865PE Mobo
Windows XP Pro SP2 (I don't need the helpful solution that Windows is my problem, thank you very much)
Intel P4 2.4C
Asus 9600XT
1G Geil Golden Dragon Ram
Vantec AeroCool Heatsink
30G Maxtor 5400 ATA-133
80G Western Digital 7200 ATA-100
Lite-On DVD-/+RW
Antec 350W Smart Power supply

Don't know if any of that will help, but it can't hurt.  Like I said, everything worked when I started taking it apart.  Only the network doesn't work now.

One other potentially helpful hint.  When I removed the heatsink, the thermal grease kinda glued to the processor, and pulled it out still stuck to the heatsink.  While the lever was down to hold the processor in.

Also, as I said, any network card gives me the same error.  One network card, a Belkin freebie, freezes the Windows boot when it is installed.

So, any helpful hints?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

jefnvk

• friend
Network card help
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 04:27:32 PM »
OK, scratch that.  It won't let me boot with any network card now.

OK, scratch that too.  My PCI sound card cannot be started either.

Maybe it is a sign that I should go ahead and buy those new parts.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Network card help
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 04:44:53 PM »
I'd wager that there is a random short someplace.  Maybe the MB is grounding out ot the case, or during the transfer process to the new case the MB got flexed too far and there is now a hairline crack in one of the circuit traces.  Being able to yank the CPU while the retention lever was in the down position is not a good thing.

Have you looked at the devices under Device Manger to see if the OS/Hardware is seeing the stuff it should?
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

jefnvk

• friend
Network card help
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 05:12:11 PM »
The device manager sees it, it just can't use it.

I am thinking more and more it is hardware.  I am in the process of trying to reinstall windows, same thing.  Dies on boot if there is a network card.  Going way too slow without a nic.  Maybe here in a bit I can find that old mobo and put it in, give that a shot.  Or, try sticking in a PCI video card, and see if it reacts the same way.

Phyphor

• friend
Network card help
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 05:17:53 PM »
It's defintely hardware,

sounds like the PCI bus controller is either shorted, or blown.  Make sure that mobo is properly mounted (I.E, no traces / pins touching the case, ) and see if you can see any blown / broken traces (the little metal spaghetti lines) on the motherboard,
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

jefnvk

• friend
Network card help
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 05:34:48 PM »
Now, is the onboard NIC still run off PCI?

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Network card help
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 05:44:24 PM »
Is the onboard NIC enabled in BIOS? If so, its 'prolly the MB toasted.  It can be REALLY flaky to track those down.  Example:  I had a machine set up about two years ago as a test bed.  Loaded Windows 2003 server just fine, ran just fine.  Trying to promote it to DC would result in a correpted AD database.  The MB was hosed just enough.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Network card help
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 05:52:29 PM »
just out of curiosity, did you reload the MB drivers of the installation CD which came with the MB? Or, as an alternative, check the manufacturer's website for an updated driver. My (current) Albatron board will not init the onboard 3-Com ent without loading the driver in W2k, which does, incidentally see the (additional) PCI Realtek 10mb card without an external driver.

...just a thought.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

jefnvk

• friend
Network card help
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 05:57:02 PM »
Boots without onboard NIC, does same thing as PCI NIC when onboard is enabled.

Just tried the PCI video card, and nothing, even at the boot screen.  

I'll give the spare mobo a shot.  Although, the spare won't work with my current video card, so if this mobo is gone, and all else works fine with the spare, I might have to upgrade (dang, dang, dang) to a whole new system.  Not going to buy a replacement mobo for $100, when I can upgrade to a new Athlon 64 with a new video card for about $400.

EDIT: rabbit, I did give that a try.  No go Sad

jefnvk

• friend
Network card help
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 07:26:55 PM »
OK, got everything back in the original case.  It works fine undecided

Don't know what went wrong.  Must have been some connection problems with the new case or something.  All I know is that the system is back to being louder than a jet airliner.  At least reapplying the thermal grease dropped the temp some.

Oh well.  Thanks for the help, though.

Vodka7

• friend
Network card help
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 09:10:11 PM »
Very odd that everything works in the old case.  I would strongly second Blackburn's suggestion.

jefnvk

• friend
Network card help
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 09:30:37 PM »
Eh, I'll probably not mess with it.  I'll just get some new fans from NewEgg.  I just find that incredibly odd, I've never seen that before.

jefnvk

• friend
Network card help
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 09:58:03 PM »
It was actually my old case, that I was going to go back to.  A $30 special.  Always worked before, but I never had this particular mobo in it.  The one I was going to switch from was an Antec LanBoy, the Aluminum was just too flimsy, rattles around a lot.  Not a good case for heavy cooling, but nice and light to carry around.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Network card help
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 06:54:11 AM »
As others have said I'd guess the PCI bus itself is at fault.  If you have one try plugging in a USB ethernet adapter.  If that works it's almost certainly the PCI bus.  Take it all apart, check for cracked traces and put it back together very carefully.  There isn't any chance that a mounting screw is touching something it shouldn't, is there?
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

jefnvk

• friend
Network card help
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 09:26:02 AM »
There isn't any chance that a mounting screw is touching something it shouldn't, is there?
That is what I think, I have it back in the old case, and all is working fine now.

InfidelSerf

• friend
Network card help
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 02:56:42 PM »
Did the new case have the MB risers already installed?  If so you may have missed one that your MB doesn't use... and its shorting out on it.. just a guess.   good luck
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

jefnvk

• friend
Network card help
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 03:55:50 PM »
Yeah, it had them in from the previous MB that I had in it.  I'll have to give these suggetsions a try some day when I got some time to play around.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Network card help
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 05:28:37 AM »

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

jefnvk

• friend
Network card help
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 08:21:26 AM »
Knew a guy who killed 3 mainboards in a row that way. Ouch.
Ouch is right!  Good thing for NewEgg's No Questions Asked return policy Cheesy

Darrin

Network card help
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2005, 04:48:07 PM »
Quote from: GRD
Did the new case have the MB risers already installed?  If so you may have missed one that your MB doesn't use... and its shorting out on it.. just a guess.   good luck
I'd bet money this is exactly what the problem was.  And if it was the problem, it's an absolute miracle your board still works at all.  Miracle.

Take a look at the holes in your mainboard and compare them to the standoffs in the other case.  I'll bet there's a standoff in that case without a corresponding hole in your board...probably towards the lower left quarter of the board...

Knew a guy who killed 3 mainboards in a row that way. Ouch.  Smiley
I'll bet my money the power supply in the old case isn't big enough (watts) for the newer motherboard.

I knew a network admin who killed 3 days building a server that way... Smiley

InfidelSerf

• friend
Network card help
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2005, 06:42:23 AM »
Windows XP Pro SP2 (I don't need the helpful solution that Windows is my problem, thank you very much)
Intel P4 2.4C
Asus 9600XT
Vantec AeroCool Heatsink
30G Maxtor 5400 ATA-133
Lite-On DVD-/+RW
Darrin that's a good point... but I'm assuming from the specs he listed that the PS was moved with the rest of the parts.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Darrin

Network card help
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2005, 12:54:43 PM »
Quote from: veloce851
Intel P4 2.4C
Asus 9600XT
Vantec AeroCool Heatsink
30G Maxtor 5400 ATA-133
Lite-On DVD-/+RW
Darrin that's a good point... but I'm assuming from the specs he listed that the PS was moved with the rest of the parts.
In that case, the metal risers very well could be the problem.  (Glad I didn't bet any real money...)

You don't know how bad I wish I could blame this problem on Windoze, but it looks like not even the mighty penguin can help this one.

jefnvk

• friend
Network card help
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2005, 01:23:51 PM »
Yeah, PS went with it.  I'd rather have the 350W Antec than the 300W TigerPro that came with the case.  Only change was the case itself.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Network card help
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2005, 03:14:58 PM »
Dang, I hadn't thought of that- I've seen power supplies do really weird things as far as mobos.

Glad you've found a workaround.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Network card help
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2005, 03:23:59 PM »
Fine, I won't say it.  

But -- it can sometimes be hard to disentangle genuine hardware problems from Windows being buttheaded about hardware and drivers.  For diagnostic purposes, snag a copy of Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.org).  Boot off that and see what hardware it sees and what works.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.