Author Topic: Pre-paid mobile phone services... down with tmobile  (Read 3902 times)

InfidelSerf

• friend
Pre-paid mobile phone services... down with tmobile
« on: June 12, 2005, 12:35:30 PM »
I am shopping around for a suitable pre-paid phone service to fit my needs.

Are there any suggestions?

How many here use pre-paid rather than a monthly plan?

BTW I refuse to go to T-mobile after seeing their pre-paid website.
The flash animations are insulting. In fact I sent them an email expressing my displeasure with their insulting marketing tactics.

http://www.t-mobile.com/promos/togophones.asp?WT.mc_n=PayasUgo_index&WT.mc_t=OnsiteAd

I am currently shopping pre-paid services with all the major mobile networks. I wanted to let you know I will NEVER do business with t-mobile after seeing the flash animations on your prepaid site. The implication that the only people that use prepaid are gangster rapping thugs is insulting. I will be informing anyone and everyone I know to drop your services in favor of a company that doesn't insult it's potential customers. I suggest you rethink your prepaid marketing tactics. ~my name~ Raymore, MO
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 01:10:25 PM »
I dunno.  Maybe it's just me.  I lump pre-paid cell phone service in with those wheel rental stores and Rent-A-Center.  People that cannot afford a cell phone, rims for their cars, or furniture and appliances and are too anxious to save their money to pay cash instead of getting ripped a new one.  I'm sure they have done their homework and know know all too well who their target demographic needs to be.  Sure, there'll be a few, like yourself, that have a need too but they are targeting the majority base.

Greg

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 01:45:54 PM »
I think T-Mobile's ads are an attack on Boost mobile using rappers and other means to target a certain demographic.  If you've seen Boost's ads you'll know what I mean.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 02:19:43 PM »
Um, veloce, step away from the keyboard and take a few deep breaths.  Tmobile's current ad campaign is designed to make fun of gang type culture.

This is obvious in the flash animation, as the spokes-toons for "Poser Mobile" make statements like "being all about the fees" and having "one-note ringtones."

It's even more self-evident in the television commercials, where a bunch of hapless losers dressed in hoodies and bling accost various people and try to get them to pay for overpriced cellphone service.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 02:43:32 PM »
Just exactly what are you involved in there Blackburn???  Nevermind.

Greg

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 03:01:18 PM »
I lump pre-paid cell phone service in with those wheel rental stores and Rent-A-Center. People that cannot afford a cell phone, rims for their cars, or furniture and appliances and are too anxious to save their money to pay cash instead of getting ripped a new one.
Ouch, Tarpley, that hurt.

I have prepaid cellular, and for how I use it, it's great. I'm not one of these types that uses cellular for their primary means of communication, nor do I feel the need to be "connected" 24/7/365. I do, however, sometimes feel the need to let my wife know that I'm stuck in traffic and will be home a bit later than planned. Also that the number one techno-accessory for a CCW, as has been discussed ad nauseum on THR, is a cell-phone. My usage is currently at about 100-200 hours per year, almost exactly what I pay for using prepaid. And at about $20 more per year than what most people pay per month, it works really nicely.

Veloce-

I use Virgin wireless. Their ad pitch is kitschy, but they have a service agreement with Verizon so anywhere you can get Verizon, you can get Virgin.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 03:10:45 PM »
I'm like Stickjockey.. I'm only getting one to toss in the glove box and forget.  
I've resisted the "mark of the beast" Cheesy  for quite awhile now.  

I think about 80% of the population could stop using cell phones.  
It amazes me that people will spend hours talking about crap they wouldn't normally pick up the phone to talk about on a cell phone that costs twice as much as a normal phone.

My guess is that people feel important when they are talking on one.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 04:13:30 PM »
Don't get me wrong guys, there is a legitimate sector of the population where this fits.  My in-laws, for instance, are far from gang-bangers, etc. but they use a prepaid service because they hardly ever use a cell phone.  They mostly use it for emergencies and to communicate when on the road.  If it wasn't for free long distance and my wife wanting a cell phone, I probably wouldn't have one.  My point was that there is a definite majority demographic and what can you expect when you visit their site or see their commercials.

Greg

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 04:40:01 PM »
This is a timely topic because I'm actually thinking about ditching my monthly-plan cell phone to switch to a prepaid setup. After doing a little research I decided that t-mobile was probably best suited for my usage. My reason for switching is purely cost; with a plan it's basically a $40-50 bill a month regardless of who you are with. Personally I don't think I get $50 of utility a month out of my phone, and the only reason I use up minutes is to talk to my friends when I'm driving and bored, and I have minutes to use. Haven't switched yet but thinking pretty hard about it.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 04:48:37 PM »
Well so far I'm leaning towards Cingulars pay as you go plan.
For as little as $30 I can get a phone and I just have to spend $8-15/mo to maintain the number.
The Rents have cingular so calls to them will be free. If I can get my girlfriend to switch to Cingular then it will work out just perfectly.

http://www.cingular.com/gophone