Author Topic: Fedex Rats Out Its Customers  (Read 2949 times)

Waitone

• friend
Fedex Rats Out Its Customers
« on: June 12, 2005, 07:08:02 AM »
Interesting opinion piece.

http://newswithviews.com/Mary/starrett62.htm

FED UP WITH FEDEX...

By Mary Starrett
June 10, 2005
NewsWithViews.com

On any given day 6 million packages are shipped around the globe by the FedEx Corporation. My guess is the folks sending all those packages dont have a clue that the shipping giants selling more than delivery of boxes and cardboard envelopes. FedEx is also selling out its customers privacy.

FedEx rats out its loyal customers under the guise of protecting the country from terrorism- the ubiquitous threat thats been used to relieve us of our privacy, freedoms and rights since 9-11.

Remember the TIPS program? It was the Bush Administrations proposed network of letter carriers and utility workers whod function as the eyes and ears of the Federal government to turn in suspicious types who just might be hatching terrorist plots. The de facto spy program was supposed to be in operation 3 years ago but Americans were awake enough then to be outraged that truck drivers and cable guys would be functioning as public informants and the program never materialized. Officially. Unofficially, Fed Ex has happily picked up where TIPS never took off.

Did you know that when you pay FedEx (or any of the spy- happy FedEx family of companies including Kinkos) for shipping or printing or copying, you get the value-added bonus of having your activities monitored and reported to the FBI, the Department of Homeland Security or U.S. Customs?

Did you also know that FedEx has its own police department and a database thats regularly shared with the Federal government?

Keep all this in mind the next time you choose which shipping service to use. United Parcel Service Inc. has refused to sell out its customers the way FedEx does.

The snitch culture that exists at FedEx is also shared by AOL , Western Union and WalMart, these companies have joined the ranks of companies which think their customers privacy is theirs to trade.

The next time youre about to send something FedEX remember that the U.S. government has enlisted the enthusiastic support of this corporation as one giant-sized human intelligence network.

Come to think of it, their name says it all.

© 2005 Mary Starrett - All Rights Reserved
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 07:13:26 AM »
It would be nice if she supplied some sort of documentation, or even a few details besides "They'll snitch you out to the feds."
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 07:41:22 AM »
Hey, now, you don't want to throw out facts when you are trying to sway public opinion.

I like FedEx because they actually work.  The BBT just don't cut it for me, too many screwups on their part.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 01:08:15 PM »
UPS would tell the feds what you had, too, if they could figure out what it was and where they put it. Smiley

nico

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 05:44:33 PM »
Barbara, so true!  I don't know how many "delivery confirmation required" packages they've left on my doorstep.  My girlfriend had a $250 package coming a couple years ago and called to ask if it would be left on the doorstep if noone was home to get it.  The operator said it depended on what kind of neighborhood she lived in.  When asked what that meant, she replied "well, do you live in the ghetto?"  

Without any of that pesky thing called proof, I'd think the article is just as likely to be accurate as it is the person has stock in UPS

DigMe

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 06:07:51 PM »
I'm suspicious of any article that not only knocks one business with no proof, but then goes on to suggest a specific company where you SHOULD take your business.  Sounds more like a UPS ad than anything...

brad cook

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 06:27:55 PM »
I can beat that all, folks.

A few years ago, when UPS was on strike, I was working for a gunshop.

We were closed on Mondays, but I had this funny feeling that I should drive by the shop and make sure that everything was OK.

When I got there, I noticed that there was a box sitting, in plain view, right in front of the door. I grabbed it and took it inside. It was plastered with "ADULT SIGNATURE REQUIRED" labels.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what was inside...

6 brand new handguns from our major distributor.

I called Fed X, spoke with the shift supervisor, his supervisor, and his supervisor, all the way giving them an incredible ration of hell.

A week later it happened again.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 09:24:02 PM »
Mike, did FedEx or UPS screw up?

DigMe

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 04:07:51 AM »
Quote from: jefnvk
Mike, did FedEx or UPS screw up?
I don't imagine he'd call FedEx because UPS screwed up.

brad cook

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 05:43:03 AM »
"Mike, did FedEx or UPS screw up?"

UPS was on strike, so the stuff that would normally be shipped UPS was being shipped FedX.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

client32

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 06:18:35 AM »
Quote from: jefnvk
I like FedEx because they actually work.
Me too.  I have never had a problem recieving anything from either place, but shipping has been a different story.  I also like FedEx because they got me into grad school. (Long story, I was stupid)

Quote from: DigMe
I'm suspicious of any article that not only knocks one business with no proof, but then goes on to suggest a specific company where you SHOULD take your business.
I was thinking the same thing.  This article could be very factual, but it doesn't give me a lot of confidence with your two points.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 07:43:34 AM »
Funny that the reporter's email is @aol.com lol. I sent her an email asking where she got her evidence for the story.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 08:07:09 AM »
Ok, I got confused there for a second.  I'd probably not be happy with Fed Ex if they did that to me.

I gotta go with Barbra, though

DigMe

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 08:09:13 AM »
Quote from: Ukraine Train
Funny that the reporter's email is @aol.com lol. I sent her an email asking where she got her evidence for the story.
She'll probably send you a reply via fedex written on wal-mart stationary.  Tongue

brad cook

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 10:08:28 AM »
She replied:

"For starters you can do a search for  an expose on same at The Wall Street Journal.
Best regards,
M Starrett"

Gee, thanks Mary.

I found the article she's referring to but you need an account to read it. If you search for FedEx on www.wsj.com it should come up as an archive from 5/26.