Author Topic: "How Dare You Weigh Me, Doctor?!?"  (Read 1217 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"How Dare You Weigh Me, Doctor?!?"
« on: December 16, 2021, 04:30:37 PM »
Apparently now the stress of being weighed is more unhealthy than carrying an extra 200lbs.

Party of science.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/12/16/theres-a-card-for-asking-your-doctor-not-to-weigh-you-unless-its-really-medically-necessary/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: "How Dare You Weigh Me, Doctor?!?"
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 05:51:57 PM »
^^^I am going to give you three guesses as to the sex of the people with these cards.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 05:55:09 PM »
^^^I am going to give you three guesses as to the sex of the people with these cards.

Given the number of sexes now recognized by the "enlightened", I don't think three guesses are very good odds.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 07:24:19 PM »
So I'm going to weigh in here (haha)

Do I think the card is stupid? Yes. The fact is in order to calculate many things, knowing the physical weight of a patient is a necessity.

However, the medical industry has a REAL shitty attitude to weight to the point where they endanger lives every day because they are either focused on the wrong thing or approaching the situation in a way that makes it worse.

I can totally see why some people, well, WOMAN, are doing this.

The issue of weight when it comes to woman is so much more than it is for any man. You guys just have no *expletive deleted*ing clue how *expletive deleted*ed up it is. Our whole damn culture is so screwed up when it comes to a woman's weight and we get it from all angles.

You want to know how screwed up? The hematologist harping about my weight while READING THE CHART that clearly stated I was still in recovery from Cushing's Syndrome and had, in the past 8 months, just LOST over 70 lbs.

What on earth did he thinking he was accomplishing by being an ass over it? But that is standard treatment for anyone who's BMI is over what it should be even though EVERYONE and their mother knows BMI is bullshit.

So, if the medical community wants to actually make positive changes in how a patients deals with being overweight, then maybe they better step up to the plate and work on the skills to actually HELP patients deal rather than shame them to the point they feel they need a stupid card.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 07:48:57 PM »

The issue of weight when it comes to woman is so much more than it is for any man. You guys just have no *expletive deleted*ing clue how *expletive deleted*ed up it is. Our whole damn culture is so screwed up when it comes to a woman's weight and we get it from all angles.

You want to know how screwed up? The hematologist harping about my weight while READING THE CHART that clearly stated I was still in recovery from Cushing's Syndrome and had, in the past 8 months, just LOST over 70 lbs.

What on earth did he thinking he was accomplishing by being an ass over it?

So, if the medical community wants to actually make positive changes in how a patients deals with being overweight, then maybe they better step up to the plate and work on the skills to actually HELP patients deal rather than shame them to the point they feel they need a stupid card.

Actual troubleshooting skills would help too.  Except, that would go longer than the "15 minutes with the dr." thing.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 08:06:40 PM »
I always have to chuckle when they weigh me with my clothes on.  I will ask how much they allow for the clothes, and it's usually one of those PFA (Plucked From the Air) numbers.

I will say things like "two-oh-one-point three" which would be the latest number from my Taylor digital on a hard level surface, with me nekkid, dry after a shower, and fully evacuated.

Let's face it, though, they're looking for dangerous trends over time, and as mentioned, calculating dosage per body weight, which  is also funny. I mean, if you weigh 116  pounds and the dosage is 5 milligrams per 100 pounds, do they make a pill that is 5.8 mg (16% more)?

0r if the dosage is twice a day ("bid"), do they adjust the dosage time down to every 10.08 hours (16% more often than "bid")?

Well, do they?

:rofl:

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 08:12:53 PM »
On an average day, my clothing probably weighs over 20 pounds...

I haz pockets, and is a tool-using primate.

Hell, my safety-toe boots probably weigh in at a few pounds...
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 10:42:20 PM »
I always have to chuckle when they weigh me with my clothes on. 

But they would laugh if you had no clothes on.  =D
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 01:50:00 AM »
I see you've been talking to my ex-wife.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 06:41:13 PM »
Actual troubleshooting skills would help too.  Except, that would go longer than the "15 minutes with the dr." thing.

Oh, totally.

The nurse practitioner that gets the credit of first diagnosis with me SPENT TIME with me. She also listened to me. She was inclined, straight off, to think of my weight as possibly being a symptom of what was wrong with me, rather than the cause. She's a rarity.

And that's what scares me the most and why I've changed my tune a lot on this subject. Weight gain is a big symptom in a lot of hormone disorders or when hormones are just screwy from normal life changes, one of which affects every woman out there.
But finding a medical professional that will acknowledge that is damn near impossible and they all just say "lose weight" even though the patient physically CAN'T.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2021, 07:53:34 AM »
Were  I a doctor, and a patient presented me with such a card, I would immediately fire them.

Can you imagine the potential for additional liability? Patient Snowflake presents No Weigh Me! card. Doctor, hands tied because ASSUMING the patient is overweight is also a horrible trigger response microaggression, doesn't discuss it with patient, so subsequently the stroke that gets patient causes him to blame doctor and sue.

Unrealistic? No more so than so many other things doctors are sued for.

Weight is a freaking medical necessity to know because it ties in with so many other conditions, both immediate and in the future.

Those bullet points on the back of the card? Absolute bullshit.

"So, if the medical community wants to actually make positive changes in how a patients deals with being overweight, then maybe they better step up to the plate and work on the skills to actually HELP patients deal rather than shame them to the point they feel they need a stupid card."

I can honestly say that I have never had a doctor "shame" me about my weight. Frank discussions, yes.

Shame? No.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2021, 08:13:00 AM »
Still debating if I should weight in on this or not. It's such a heavy subject.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2021, 09:11:05 AM »
Oh, totally.

The nurse practitioner that gets the credit of first diagnosis with me SPENT TIME with me. She also listened to me. She was inclined, straight off, to think of my weight as possibly being a symptom of what was wrong with me, rather than the cause. She's a rarity.

And that's what scares me the most and why I've changed my tune a lot on this subject. Weight gain is a big symptom in a lot of hormone disorders or when hormones are just screwy from normal life changes, one of which affects every woman out there.
But finding a medical professional that will acknowledge that is damn near impossible and they all just say "lose weight" even though the patient physically CAN'T.

You might have better luck with an osteopath (DO) rather than a MD.  They are real doctors (can write prescriptions and do surgery), but the training is more holistic, like nursing.  They used to be cross-trained in chiropractics but not sure if they do that anymore.
"It's good, though..."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2021, 09:54:00 AM »
The first Google result for "BMI Calculator" should be an article on junk science, not a link to the CDC. When I got back from basic training and infantry school I was 184. Being 5'9" puts my BMI at 27, the high end of "overweight," even though I could run 5 miles and do 100 push-ups. Looked like freaking Wolverine too.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2021, 11:28:58 AM »
I'll certainly agree that BMI is a scale that needs to go. It seems pretty clear that it only exists because it's faster than a good, accurate measurement of body weight/body fat, which is convenient in a medical system, as pointed out above, that just wants to get people in and out as fast as possible. Which, in their defense, is partially based on what insurance will pay for or that patients can afford. I'm sure a full body fat measurement using something like hydrostatic weighing isn't cheap.

I'm 6' 3" and 225. I always say that I could lose 10lbs. If I got myself down to 210, I wouldn't complain about it, and it might even be a good weight for my age. The BMI, however, to be in the middle of their "normal", wants me at 170. Their low normal end has me at 145. I would literally look like a concentration camp survivor at that weight. I would need to lose nearly 40% of my weight to get there. That would include lots of muscle loss.

I will agree that a doctor shouldn't just say "You're fat - lose weight"*. Weight is affected by everything from disease through lifestyle choice. Sometimes it IS appropriate for a doctor to say, "Lay off the Twinkies" if they have done thorough examinations and see that it is, indeed a lifestyle choice. All possibilities need to be investigated though.

That doesn't mean weight should be ignored for feelings. Whether because of lifestyle choices or medical issues, carrying lots extra fat, especially in certain parts of the body, is unhealthy and affects quality of life. Perhaps the medical community needs to find alternate ways to approach the discussion, but that doesn't mean ignoring it.

* I especially like it when I get a physical and the doctor or PA tells me that my BMI is high and I should lose weight, as I look at them, shorter and fatter than I am.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2021, 01:13:25 PM »
I've often said that the BMI ratings were developed in Germany.

During World War II.

By Nazi doctors.

In Auschwitz.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2021, 09:47:59 PM »
^ Also,I am told, data on hyper- and hypo- thermia, and they performed other deadly experiments on humans.

Search term<mengele>

Back to modern medical practice.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2021, 11:06:22 PM »
^ Also,I am told, data on hyper- and hypo- thermia, and they performed other deadly experiments on humans.

Search term<mengele><Fauci>

Back to modern medical practice.

FTFY  :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2021, 11:17:18 PM »
That was no fix; that was borderline slander, ROFL notwithstanding. I don't like or trust Fauci but he is no todesengel in the sense that Mengele was.

Not a ROFLing matter.  In witness thereof:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Mengele#Human_experimentation

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 12:04:46 AM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2021, 12:08:27 AM »
If Fauci was in fact involved with the Wuhan lab's "gain of function" aka biological warfare research that brought us Covid-19 then he has more blood on his hands than Mengele.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2021, 12:16:09 AM »
Even if your if is supportable, your then does not follow.

If Columbus were Native American, then it would not be called an invasion.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 12:32:25 AM by 230RN »

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2021, 12:29:04 AM »
Most people in the US are nasty fatties.  Fact.  Most resent being called out on it.  That doesn't change medical reality.

I've often said that the BMI ratings were developed in Germany.

During World War II.

By Nazi doctors.

In Auschwitz.

Agreed.  I'm 6'.  The .mil wanted me at 183,  max.  I left boot at 186, and it was the leanest I've ever been,  and that was with a 280 PFT.  Not a disgusting fattie at all, but according to the standards,  I needed to lose a few lbs.   BMI is just nuts.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2021, 08:08:30 AM »
BMI is just nuts.

When you think about it, BMI is one of the early versions of the current trends inserting SJW and LQBTQRXYZ into science. The idea of combining males and females into the same calculator is ridiculous.

Looking at the military charts - and I don't know how they've been affected by reduced standards - even at my age I'm just 5-10lbs over their requirements. Or else if you look at just fat percentages, I have one of those scales that estimates your fat percentage. The scale I have is pretty precise, though I don't know how accurate it is, and it generally puts me around 20% fat at my current weight. I'd like to get that down to 15%, but 20% is right in the zone on most of the ideal body fat percentage charts. Yet I'm still a fatty on the BMI.

https://www.healthline.com/health/exercise-fitness/ideal-body-fat-percentage

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2021, 01:21:03 PM »
Finally figured out what my BMI of 27 meant. From duckduckgo:

"The prevalence of adult BMI greater than or equal to 30 kg/m2 (obese status) has greatly increased since the 1970s. Recently, however, this trend has leveled off, except for older women. Obesity has continued to increase in adult women who are age 60 years and older.

To learn more about the trends of adult obesity, visit Adult Obesity Facts."

Gee, it works out.  By the chart, at 72" and 200 lbs, my BMI is 27 as noted above.

My draft card says I was 158 lb at my draft exam back in the late fifties (more-or-less stable at that for a couple of years) and I'm now at the aforementioned 200 lbs.

200 - 158 = 42 lb

42 ÷ 158 = 26.6 %

Close enough to the 27 BMI for government work.  Back in the 80's I figured my fighting trim was about 165 lb after half-heartedly bulking up.

Late 70s I remember trying to jump on the pedal of a sheet metal cutter on a long piece of steel and a slim trim coworker came by and we both jumped on the pedal with success.  I thanked him and he said, "It's nothing.  Us skinny guys gotta stick together."

Now I profile in the mirror and wonder where this skinny guy went.  I guess he's in there somewhere, certainly enough room for him.

Terry, 230RN, 6'0", ~200 lb, 14.3 stone, BMI 27

« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 02:30:49 PM by 230RN »

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2021, 06:21:53 PM »
According to BMI scales at 6’ I’m “normal weight” from 135-185, overweight from 185-220 and obese above that.  While over 220 I can see being obese (I’m about 210 now), at 135 I’d be skeletal and would have zero energy.  I know this because I dropped that low just as I turned 18 due to mononucleosis.  Even we’ll after recovery and getting back up to 145 I was not doing great and couldn’t maintain physical exertion like I could at 155.  Even at 155 I was scrawny as heck as a teen.  Having filled out with the end of normal development in my late teens and early 20’s I’d be unhealthy at 155 now.  I’d like to get back to 185.  I think 175 would be as light as would make sense to try for.  I think even 165 would be too light and probably comparable to the 155 I weighed in high school and would require losing muscle and not just fat.  Which puts me at or near “overweight” at what would be healthiest for me and that’s nuts. 

Somebody else who’s also 6’ might do fine at my high school weight if their build is appropriate for that. Other guys that are more muscular and generally of a stockier build would need more weight than me to function well.
Formerly sumpnz