Author Topic: Be careful with online shopping on forums...  (Read 514 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Be careful with online shopping on forums...
« on: December 19, 2021, 07:45:43 AM »
I'm an admin at TFL. In the past month we've had two cases of European fraudsters hacking a TFL member's account and posting what seems to be a smoking hot deal in the sales forums.

The first case, which tipped us off to what might be happening, was noticed by the member who responded to a private message asking about the item.

That's when we discovered the European connection.

The second incident a few days ago very likely would have resulted in a TFL member losing $1,000 had it not been for a simple error caught by a third member.

The IPs used in both cases have resolved to Europe, in both cases with a known history of being used by spammers. We've locked down the IP ranges, but in the past they've proven to be pretty adept at slipping through the cracks.

Our best guess is that they're getting in simply by using brute force password hacks against older, weaker passwords. Don't have 100% confirmation of that.

So, suggestion. If you've not changed your password for online forums for awhile, it's probably time to do so, and to make them a lot more robust.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Be careful with online shopping on forums...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 08:36:56 AM »
How do we know that you are the real K Frame?  Maybe you are actually Taurus Judge trying to trick everyone into buying you .410 shotshells.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 08:55:38 PM »
Been using same password a couple years, not usually log out. Now can't figure out how to change it. Search says change feature has been disabled?

HELP!!!!
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 09:06:26 PM »
So you are saying 12345 is not a good password?  I guess I will have to start using 54321. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 09:06:38 PM »
At the top: Profile
Then: Account Settings
There is a spot to update your password there.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 06:29:43 AM »
Another way passwords may be getting online...

If you've used a password for a long time, there's a chance that it's been compromised through one of the various breeches and it's now on a list on the dark web. My one identity protection services (which I got when OPM decided that computer security and hardening is for chumps) indicates shows whether your passwords and associated accounts and user names have shown up on the dark web.

I've had a couple that have so shown up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 09:29:39 AM »
So you are saying 12345 is not a good password?  I guess I will have to start using 54321.

Hey, I have that combination on my luggage!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 12:24:00 PM »

Too weak, need to add at leat 1 upper case and 1 lower case letter...   might I suggest 54321BoOm!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 02:03:05 PM »
PASSWORDS FOR
MY STUFF

pASSWORD1
PaSSWORD2
PAsSWORD3
PASsWORD4
PASSwORD5
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 02:16:56 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.