Author Topic: An end to nude-o-scopy.  (Read 7697 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
An end to nude-o-scopy.
« on: July 23, 2011, 06:13:37 AM »
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/consumer/sns-rt-us-usa-security-avitre76j65c-20110720,0,3189285.story

After complaints from travelers the TSA earlier this year began testing at four airports software for the full-body scanners that instead uses a generic body outline and highlights the area where any anomaly is detected, eliminating the actual image of the passenger.

Micro Sez:

This seems to be far less invasive, and is basically a version of earlier metal detectors, except with a more advanced technology. I'll hazard a guess and say it is a step forward.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: An end to nude-o-scopy.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 10:33:56 AM »
Doesn't change the radiation issue, does it  ???

Anyway, after having the scanner "see" anomalies that weren't there, I remain unhappy about the whole thing.  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 11:37:14 AM »
Still opting out,  and the agents that run these things deserve any side effects they get. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 03:12:23 PM »
Still opting out,  and the agents that run these things deserve any side effects they get. 

Is it possible for a tumor to get a tumor?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

erictank

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
Doesn't change the radiation issue, does it  ???

Anyway, after having the scanner "see" anomalies that weren't there, I remain unhappy about the whole thing.  :mad:

First trial run will apparently be on the non-ionizing radio-wave (MMW) versions - the ionizing-radiation scanners (backscatter x-ray) machines don't get this mod for a while, it seems.

Still opting out of any Nude-O-Scopes I might be faced with. :mad:

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 08:03:33 PM »
Is it possible for a tumor to get a tumor?

One would hope.  Karma would call for a particularly nasty cancer,  say bone,  for the ones that abuse the living hell out of their authority

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 04:20:26 AM »
One would hope.  Karma would call for a particularly nasty cancer,  say bone,  for the ones that abuse the living hell out of their authority
Testicle cancer would be fitting as well >:D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 08:45:55 AM »
Testicle cancer would be fitting as well >:D.

I don't think that would be a worry for most TSA employees.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 09:07:10 AM »
I don't think that would be a worry for most TSA employees.....

Nor spinal cancer.....

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 09:54:06 AM »
So, brain tumors are out of the question as well?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 10:34:21 AM »
So, brain tumors are out of the question as well?

"In my youth," Father William replied to his son,
"I feared it might injure the brain;
But, now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
Why, I do it again and again."
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 01:17:10 PM »
Agit-prop.

The software gets modified from nude-o-pics to this alternate view on the screen.

Doesn't change the fact that the MACHINE still uses nude-o-pics and a 4th amendment violation to render the alternate view.

And, the MACHINE still has the capacity to store the original nude-o-pics (and probably does, despite the natterings of John Pistole or Janet Napolitano).

This rendering is essentially just a mask put over the original data which is still one of the greatest betrayals our government has ever performed against The People it is obligated to protect and serve.

Edited by mods because I can't post without rude insults.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:51:45 PM by mtnbkr »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 02:42:42 PM »
But but but the tv at the airports I went through recently just said that they don't store pictures and are non-intrusive, and the lady going through it was smiling.  [barf]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

henschman

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 04:52:38 PM »
I guess its somewhat better than having some fed looking at a naked picture of you, but I for one will not be satisfied until we get back to separation of airline security and state. 
“Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual.”
-- Thomas Jefferson

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 09:11:19 AM »
i guess this will end the biggest draw for tsa employement!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 09:29:18 AM »
I guess its somewhat better than having some fed looking at a naked picture of you, but I for one will not be satisfied until we get back to separation of airline security and state. 

Agreed.....a local radio-talk host, when talking about TSA, always asks "What kind of airport security do you want?"  My answer is....the same security we had pre-9/11....private-run security (maybe with a state or federal certification as security guards), increased numbers of air marshals on planes, and armed pilots.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 11:14:06 AM »
I wonder how many air marshals we could hire and train with the money all the scanners and gropers are costing?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 08:07:07 PM »
I wonder how many air marshals we could hire and train with the money all the scanners scammers and gropers are costing?

FIFY.....

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 09:50:55 PM »
a friend went through security last week with a jackknife in her pocket they never questioned.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 10:08:49 PM »
a friend went through security last week with a jackknife in her pocket they never questioned.

They probably weren't looking at her pockets  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »
i went through with a full size leatherman just post 911
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 09:41:35 AM »
They probably weren't looking at her pockets  ;)

Hot Ukrainian Coworker took a trip home to Jersey last week and instead of flying through the local airport, where we have no scanner, she drove to LAX. All the people in front of her got to go through the regular metal detector. She of course, got popped for the scanner. She refused. When asked if she wanted a private pat down, she loudly said, "No, I want it right here where everyone can see.". :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 02:13:42 PM »
Hot Ukrainian Coworker took a trip home to Jersey last week and instead of flying through the local airport, where we have no scanner, she drove to LAX. All the people in front of her got to go through the regular metal detector. She of course, got popped for the scanner. She refused. When asked if she wanted a private pat down, she loudly said, "No, I want it right here where everyone can see.". :)

LAX is hell  :mad:

Down a dark dingy underground hallway with blue-shirted fat black people yelling at you the whole way.

Then those same people blue-shirted fat black people get to feel you up whether or not you go through the nude-o-scope.  They can always find an "anomally"  ;/

erictank

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 06:08:22 PM »

That's the way to do it.

Unfortunately, I'm given to understand that there is a procedure (secret, of course) wherein you are not given a choice - you *MUST* be searched in a private room.  Theoretically, you're permitted a witness.  Sometimes, you might even be able to HAVE one. :mad:

Proper response to that one, IMO: "I NEED AN ACTUAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OVER HERE NOW, PLEASE!!!"  Make sure they (TSA screeners) don't paw through your carryon without you being right there watching, as well - TSA is notably riddled with outright thieves.  Experienced FlyerTalk members are more and more recommending that you put an actual lock on your carryon - and not a TSA-compliant one, a REAL lock.  Make it a combo lock, so you don't need to leave the key in an open pocket where they can open your bag without you anyways.  You can't secure your checked bags, but you CAN secure your carryon.  Do so.

They're also now demanding that you say your name at the blacklight-ID-Checker's podium, too.

"..."  (we DO still have the right to remain silent, don't we?)

"Oh, you can't read it off the ID and boarding pass in your hand?  Thought you guys were all supposed to have a GED.  Okay, sound it out with me..."

"Oh sure - that's pronounced 'John, Jacob, Jingleheimer-Schmidt'."  (would work best if you've got one or more accomplice behind you in line, for the obvious follow-on responses)

Naturally, don't do any of these unless you're prepared for the "random" retaliatory groping you'll receive for being improperly respectful of authori-TAH!!! [barf]  Probably helps if you literally don't care if you don't make your flight or even fly that day, and let them know that - it takes away a couple of the threats they'll use against you.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 06:29:17 PM »

"Oh, you can't read it off the ID and boarding pass in your hand?  Thought you guys were all supposed to have a GED.  Okay, sound it out with me..."

"Oh sure - that's pronounced 'John, Jacob, Jingleheimer-Schmidt'."  (would work best if you've got one or more accomplice behind you in line, for the obvious follow-on responses)

That's my name too! :lol:

Probably helps if you literally don't care if you don't make your flight or even fly that day, and let them know that - it takes away a couple of the threats they'll use against you.

Flights to Vegas are cheap.  Especially when bought to make a deliberate political statement.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!