Author Topic: Colonoscopies to be replaced by camera that comes in a PILL  (Read 6315 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Colonoscopies to be replaced by camera that comes in a PILL
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:46:18 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2551377/Colonoscopies-replaced-camera-comes-PILL-FDA-green-lights-revolutionary-treatment.html

I figured this might end up going toward politics due to the overly invasive Search Warrant discussed a while back.  Now, no invasive procedure is needed.  They just need to make you swallow a camera and they can get pictures of you insides over 8 hours.  Of course, with that issue, I am not sure this is all that much different than just waiting for some time and things to pass. 

Politics aside, it is pretty neat technology. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Colonoscopies to be replaced by camera that comes in a PILL
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 10:52:54 AM »
Sure, NOW they come up with a pill.

It will be a heck of a lot more convenient for quick checks, but one of the good things about the more invasive technique is that if they see any polyps or other minor growths, they can take care of them during the same procedure. When I had mine, they grabbed a couple of polyps while they were poking around.

It would be nice if the pill stayed on the medical side, just like the "car turner off tech" in the other thread would be best served  if available only through permission the car's owner. I hate seeing beneficial tech abused in the name of "safety" and "law and order".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 11:13:37 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2551377/Colonoscopies-replaced-camera-comes-PILL-FDA-green-lights-revolutionary-treatment.html

I figured this might end up going toward politics due to the overly invasive Search Warrant discussed a while back.  Now, no invasive procedure is needed.  They just need to make you swallow a camera and they can get pictures of you insides over 8 hours.  Of course, with that issue, I am not sure this is all that much different than just waiting for some time and things to pass. 

Politics aside, it is pretty neat technology. 

Good for medical technology. Takes a surgery level situation down to pill level. Even better is when they can rig it up with a wireless antenna. Take pill, wear data logger on your belt or kept in pocket, and turn in data logger after the pill's worked its travel.

As for police, there's already no need for it. They can get a warrant and put you in a dry cell. There is absolutely no need or justification for medical procedures.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
Umm...  Do they reuse the cameras?

Not too sure I want to swallow a pill that's already been there and done that.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 01:46:28 PM »
Umm...  Do they reuse the cameras?

Not too sure I want to swallow a pill that's already been there and done that.

Package, no. Payload, probably could be. That's likely going to be the first question everyone asks. I wouldn't be surprised if they make them one-off disposables at easily five to ten times the cost of a reusable payload system, because people would freak out.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 01:48:22 PM »
Hasn't this system been around for a couple of years? Swallow the pill and it takes a bunch of pics of your insides and sends them to storage unit you wear, then you turn the unit into the doc after you finish? Seem to recall that that capsule was disposable, so you didn't try to retrieve it.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 01:50:38 PM »
Hasn't this system been around for a couple of years? Swallow the pill and it takes a bunch of pics of your insides and sends them to storage unit you wear, then you turn the unit into the doc after you finish? Seem to recall that that capsule was disposable, so you didn't try to retrieve it.

What if it uh.... gets stuck en route?   :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 01:53:15 PM »
What if it uh.... gets stuck en route?   :facepalm:

Well, that would give you pretty good information on something being wrong, so... Bonus?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 01:58:19 PM »
Well, that would give you pretty good information on something being wrong, so... Bonus?

Not necessarily .... might get stuck in one of those twists & turns the intestines make.
If the intestines were entirely blocked I suspect that the patient would know something was wrong before ...and I wonder if surgeons suspecting a blockage would try to diagnose the problem by using something likely to be blocked .....   however, I am not a doctor and did not play one on TV, so I can't really say.....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 02:05:10 PM »

They have been around for a few years.  We have had patients who have carefully fished them out of the toilet and brought them back to us.  We then modified our patient instructions to let them know that the capsule should be flushed away and we did not want it back.   I point out that you still have to do the same sort of prep for these camera capsules as you would for an actual colonoscopy.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 02:12:58 PM »
They have been around for a few years.  We have had patients who have carefully fished them out of the toilet and brought them back to us.  We then modified our patient instructions to let them know that the capsule should be flushed away and we did not want it back.   I point out that you still have to do the same sort of prep for these camera capsules as you would for an actual colonoscopy.

Oh, YUCK.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:22:53 PM by TommyGunn »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 02:16:41 PM »
They have been around for a few years.  We have had patients who have carefully fished them out of the toilet and brought them back to us.  We then modified our patient instructions to let them know that the capsule should be flushed away and we did not want it back.   I point out that you still have to do the same sort of prep for these camera capsules as you would for an actual colonoscopy.

In that case, this calls for Dave Barry's Colonoscopy!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/02/11/427603/dave-barry-a-journey-into-my-colon.html
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 02:57:46 PM »
 I point out that you still have to do the same sort of prep for these camera capsules as you would for an actual colonoscopy.

that was my first question.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 03:31:56 PM »
that was my first question.

Unless the colon is empty, pink and glistening from a good prep, the camera pill cannot take good shots.  We can encounter the same thing from a colonoscopy: you can tell if the patient complied with the prep instructions or not.  If the colon is literally full of crap, you abandon the procedure and reschedule it for another day after the patient has really done the prep.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 03:44:04 PM »
When there was nothing coming out but the foul Koolaid, I figured I was done and stopped trying to force it down. 

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 05:18:42 PM »
I've had a similar, albeit lower-tech, device used on me before. To ascertain whether I had acid-reflux they put a scope down my throat, "pinned" a small pill-sized wireless sensor to my esophagus which measured and transmitted acid readings to a receiver I wore on my belt for two days. Sometime in the next few days the sensor fell off and went on its merry way.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »
Old news.  I had the test in 2004 IIRC.  A butt light only goes up so high and a gut light only goes so far down.  Docs thought I was having problems in the dark zone.   Pre-game preparation was thorough as you might imagine.  Six sensors were placed on my torso.  The camera-light combo, about the size of a Nyquil capsule, was registered to the sensors.  Sensor lead (nice and black) were pulled to one side and inserted into the main box placed on my belt.  A similarly black lead went to the power supply on the other side.  Techs told me to eat and drink nothing and come back in 8 hours.  I was specifically told to stay away from police stations and banks. 

Eight hours later the whole mess was removed.  Techs told me the camera took 2 photos every second.  Special software was used to view the results.  Later at the doc's office he showed me pictures made by both technologies.  The difference was like comparing CRT television to HD LCD screens.  At the time the biggest limitation of the technology was that the pill tumbled and was not controllable.  He said the company's wizards were working to be able to steer the pill.  Great technology to have. 

I can see how both docs and hospitals would be skeptical of the technology because it takes an outpatient procedure and put it into the docs office.  Whether or not it happens depends on regulators.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 10:39:36 PM »
The worst part of a colonoscopy (I've had three) is the prep. The drugs they give you  "almost" make it worth it!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 12:44:41 AM »
Not necessarily .... might get stuck in one of those twists & turns the intestines make.
If the intestines were entirely blocked I suspect that the patient would know something was wrong before ...and I wonder if surgeons suspecting a blockage would try to diagnose the problem by using something likely to be blocked .....   however, I am not a doctor and did not play one on TV, so I can't really say.....
There are plenty of tablets that do not dissolve, and leave a "ghost" tablet in the poop

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 12:43:21 PM »
The worst part of a colonoscopy (I've had three) is the prep. The drugs they give you  "almost" make it worth it!
Amen to that - had my first one last year. The prep stuff was "flavored" to be lemony, but the "flavor" did little to cover up the oily, slimy repulsiveness of the prep solution - chilling it and pounding it down fast was the only way to keep from gagging.

The results weren't much fun, either.

The drugs they gave me during the procedure were eerie - it was like a movie edit; first I was wide awake before the procedure, then there was an abrupt shift and I was wide awake after the procedure; I didn't perceive any transition at all. (Someone said it may have been the infamous Michael Jackson drug . . . but at least I woke up.)

The gastro guy said I was fine and to come back and see him in 10 years so we could do it again . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 01:04:48 PM »
... The drugs they gave me during the procedure were eerie - it was like a movie edit; first I was wide awake before the procedure, then there was an abrupt shift and I was wide awake after the procedure; I didn't perceive any transition at all. (Someone said it may have been the infamous Michael Jackson drug . . . but at least I woke up.)

That was my experience too.  I know the drug was the same Michael Jackson used as they told me it was; I just don't remember the name of it offhand.  Would NEVER want to use that drug just to get to sleep though......

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 01:16:17 PM »
^^^Propofol, the drug mentioned above, is a milky white suspension.  For that reason, in healthcare we often call it 'milk of amnesia'.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 01:27:15 PM »
Amen to that - had my first one last year. The prep stuff was "flavored" to be lemony, but the "flavor" did little to cover up the oily, slimy repulsiveness of the prep solution - chilling it and pounding it down fast was the only way to keep from gagging.

Oh, yes.

The results weren't much fun, either.

You live in the john for a couple hours.

The drugs they gave me during the procedure were eerie - it was like a movie edit; first I was wide awake before the procedure, then there was an abrupt shift and I was wide awake after the procedure; I didn't perceive any transition at all.

My recollection as well.  I was awake, and remember someone saying they didn't find anything.  Went home, emailed someone a short and barely articulate email, then crashed.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 01:42:13 PM »
Wimps. No drugs for mine (besides the cleansing drugs). Nobody is sticking anything up my ass without me making sure there's no funny business going on. No "Seinfeld at the dentist" moments for me!

Actually my ride flaked the morning of my colonoscopy, and I had a choice of trying to find another one at the last minute, staying in the clinic all day because they wouldn't release me until all the drugs were out of my body, or go sans drugs. Since the nurse prepping me said she did hers without drugs, I had to man up. :)

It actually wasn't that bad. There's a little pressure when they push around the bends that kind of makes you clench your fists, but otherwise mostly uncomfortable more than painful. The nurse assisting was into flyfishing, so we mostly talked about that the whole time, which diverted my mind from the reaming. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 04:04:54 PM »
The nurse assisting was into flyfishing...

For Brown Trout ?   =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin