Author Topic: Ron Paul: No more Congress... White House or bust  (Read 8147 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Ron Paul: No more Congress... White House or bust
« on: July 12, 2011, 08:52:48 PM »
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/58792.html

He's letting all comers know they can run for his TX seat in 2012.

He's either POTUS in 2013, or unemployed.

Good for him.  I hate hedge-betters in politics.  Right now he's the only one I'll vote for.  Including the non-candidate Palin.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Bigjake

• friend
Re: Ron Paul: No more Congress... White House or bust
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/58792.html

Good for him.  I hate hedge-betters in politics.  Right now he's the only one I'll vote for.  Including the non-candidate Palin.

That.

Good for him.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 10:12:47 PM »
Age, no doubt, is catching up with the old man.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 10:58:34 PM »
I wouldn't vote for him if there was a half way decent alternative.  I like him as an idea guy and my Congressman, but I don't think he would make a good President.  4 years of him as COC would be 4 years of nothing.  He may not vote any bad laws in, but he would make little or no gains.  Of course, he might get nasty deconstructing the executive branch which wouldn't be all bad.  That would likely be the main positive.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 11:34:05 PM »
He may not vote any bad laws in, but he would make little or no gains.  

A president with principles and balls to back them, which managed to stay alive in office, could majorly prune the executive branch, which would be massive, colossal gain.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:00:41 AM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 11:40:30 PM »
"Objective Branch??"  =|
Let's see... executive, legislative, judicial.....I don't remember any "Objective Branch." [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 09:46:22 AM »
I wouldn't vote for him if there was a half way decent alternative.  I like him as an idea guy and my Congressman, but I don't think he would make a good President.  4 years of him as COC would be 4 years of nothing.  He may not vote any bad laws in, but he would make little or no gains.  Of course, he might get nasty deconstructing the executive branch which wouldn't be all bad.  That would likely be the main positive.

Which is better than the prospects of another RINO or Demoncrat in office.  Vetoing bad laws, rescinding executive orders, and not passing more crappy unconstitutional executive orders is like christmas and my birthday rolled into one.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 09:48:28 AM »
I wish he'd bag the president gig and get on with his destiny which is SecTreasury where he can do battle with the FED.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 10:17:38 AM »
"Objective Branch??"  =|
Let's see... executive, legislative, judicial.....I don't remember any "Objective Branch." [popcorn]

Its a Randian thing.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 10:22:30 AM »
I wouldn't vote for him if there was a half way decent alternative.  I like him as an idea guy and my Congressman, but I don't think he would make a good President.

this is apparently a very prevalent view in his home district, where one would think folks know him best

sadly the last "principled man" in the oval office did much harm   some that is still unfolding.  not sure we can afford another
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 10:33:55 AM »
I wouldn't vote for him if there was a half way decent alternative.  I like him as an idea guy and my Congressman, but I don't think he would make a good President.

this is apparently a very prevalent view in his home district, where one would think folks know him best

sadly the last "principled man" in the oval office did much harm   some that is still unfolding.  not sure we can afford another

Are you really saying that Bush had "principles"?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 10:40:44 AM »
i was thinking of that peanut farmer
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 10:43:01 AM »
The only "principled man" in the White House in my lifetime was Harry Truman.  What  harmful things did he do?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 10:48:55 AM »
Are we really comparing Paul to these people?  Really?

"Ah yes, Paul has been called 'principled', well I remember once we had a president who was also called that and it didn't go well. *wink* *wink* Never mind anything about how their politics are completely different, they were both called 'principled' by mysterious unknown people who I am not going to name, therefore they are the same. Maybe.  I didn't really say that, but a-wink a-wink"

You might as well compare people based on their hair color.
"We all know what happened the last time we had a grey-hair in the white house!"
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 10:51:05 AM »
He is what ... 75 ???

Don't you think he might want to retire?

Paul would be a very "bad" president, in the sense of unpopular.  The things that need to be done to save this republic are going to be bad tasting medicine.

Just trimming back the empire would be worth one four year term.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 11:03:09 AM »
The only "principled man" in the White House in my lifetime was Harry Truman.  What  harmful things did he do?

Beg to differ....Eisenhower was pretty principled....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 11:13:52 AM »
Beg to differ....Eisenhower was pretty principled....

and he worked for a living at one time in his life.

there are some great stories about his wife sending the secret service guys shopping for he.  she clipped safeway coupons

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 11:16:15 AM »
Which is better than the prospects of another RINO or Demoncrat in office.  Vetoing bad laws, rescinding executive orders, and not passing more crappy unconstitutional executive orders is like christmas and my birthday rolled into one.

When I say a decent alternative, that is at least in part what I mean.  I think we do have them so far this time.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 11:18:18 AM »
last time this country elected "an hionest man" i reaction to the usual washington nonsense we got more than we bargained on

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 11:19:46 AM »
I wouldn't vote for him if there was a half way decent alternative.  I like him as an idea guy and my Congressman, but I don't think he would make a good President.

sadly the last "principled man" in the oval office did much harm   some that is still unfolding.  not sure we can afford another
I think part of that is that many see him as sitting there and getting little or nothing done.  He votes no a lot even on bills we sometimes need and gets little done.

I like the his ideas, I just think he picks his battles poorly.  I think if he was President and had a Congress supporting him, he would throw us in the chaos in his effort to "fix" things and wouldn't go about the transition very well. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:24:51 AM by MechAg94 »

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 12:04:27 PM »
yup

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 12:48:48 PM »
I think part of that is that many see him as sitting there and getting little or nothing done.  He votes no a lot even on bills we sometimes need and gets little done.

I like the his ideas, I just think he picks his battles poorly.  I think if he was President and had a Congress supporting him, he would throw us in the chaos in his effort to "fix" things and wouldn't go about the transition very well. 

We're headed for chaos now.  Pick your poison.  Insolvency and bankruptcy doesn't bode well for the future of us as a "free" people.
JD

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 01:17:09 PM »
Happily, libertarian policies do not require a wise leader to implement.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »
an electable one would be nice though

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 01:27:55 PM »
an electable one would be nice though

The electability of leaders is defined almost solely by the quality of the political professionals who market them.