Author Topic: Ron Paul: No more Congress... White House or bust  (Read 8147 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Ron Paul: No more Congress... White House or bust
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 01:29:05 PM »
so he is yet again fubar?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 01:45:20 PM »
The electability of leaders is defined almost solely by the quality of the political professionals who market them.

And the morons who vote for them based on looks, speech patterns, and "electability".
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 04:30:55 PM »
We're headed for chaos now.  Pick your poison.  Insolvency and bankruptcy doesn't bode well for the future of us as a "free" people.

Yep  =(

Basically the USA is an alcoholic - drunk on deficit spending.

The first step is to admit you have a problem  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 04:45:43 PM »
I like the his ideas, I just think he picks his battles poorly.  I think if he was President and had a Congress supporting him, he would throw us in the chaos in his effort to "fix" things and wouldn't go about the transition very well. 

What transition do you mean?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2011, 06:13:34 PM »
What transition do you mean?

Probably the transition from a drunken brawling empire to a mannerly astute republic.  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2011, 07:29:20 PM »
As much as I think Paul is off base in his foreign policy I'll vote for the man if only to prove later that while Western Civilization collapsed, I voted for the Red Pill.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
While the attitudes of voters may have shifted slightly towards fiscal responsibility since 2008, the attitudes of the Media and the RNC Elite have not.  Paul will get stiffed, screwed, and/or ignored just as much this time as he did last time, and will be lucky to make double digits in any of the polls that get reported.

That said, I still would love to see what he could accomplish, especially if he had Republican majorities in both houses.  I'll vote for him if he survives the primaries, but considering the way most GOP voters consider him crazy (either for wanting a controllable supply of money, or for not wanting to blow up every country that looks at us funny), I'm pretty sure we'll end up with yet another "electable" moderate.

Paul's first ad is out.  Not sure if I agree with the "Politics as Action Flick" feel of it, but it gets the message across.

http://www.ronpaul.com/2011-07-14/conviction-not-compromise-ron-pauls-first-2012-tv-ad/
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2011, 02:07:20 PM »
While the attitudes of voters may have shifted slightly towards fiscal responsibility since 2008, the attitudes of the Media and the RNC Elite have not.  Paul will get stiffed, screwed, and/or ignored just as much this time as he did last time, and will be lucky to make double digits in any of the polls that get reported.

That said, I still would love to see what he could accomplish, especially if he had Republican majorities in both houses.  I'll vote for him if he survives the primaries, but considering the way most GOP voters consider him crazy (either for wanting a controllable supply of money, or for not wanting to blow up every country that looks at us funny), I'm pretty sure we'll end up with yet another "electable" moderate.

Paul's first ad is out.  Not sure if I agree with the "Politics as Action Flick" feel of it, but it gets the message across.

http://www.ronpaul.com/2011-07-14/conviction-not-compromise-ron-pauls-first-2012-tv-ad/

That ad will destroy the GOP as we know it, if it gets wider distribution than gun/TEA party web forums and Youtube can provide.

I like it.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen HTG around?  Forum stats show him last active around April 1, 2011.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »
The only thing I don't like about that commercial is the change in the speaker from a narrative voice to merely listing talking points.

Currently, it goes like this:
"Will our party's leaders repeat the mistakes of the past?  Will they choose compromise, or conviction?  -dramatic pause- One candidate has always been true.
Ron Paul.
Cut spending.
Balance the budget.
No deals."

I would prefer something more like:
"Will our party's leaders repeat the mistakes of the past?  Will they choose compromise, or conviction?  -dramatic pause- One candidate has always been true.
Ron Paul:
 - has always voted to cut spending.
 - wants to balance the budget.
 - will not make any deals.
"

Without tying him in to the talking points, he could be anybody making empty promises.  The people still need to hear who he is and what he stands for.  When you just say "Ron Paul! Cut spending!" it sounds like "Cut spending" is a non-committal slogan instead of an actual verifiable voting record.

But dear GOD is it an upgrade over his 2008 commercials (one is posted at the above link for you who didn't click it yet).
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2011, 03:00:33 PM »
That ad will destroy the GOP as we know it, if it gets wider distribution than gun/TEA party web forums and Youtube can provide.

I like it.

Me too....not sure I'd vote for him, but he's raised the bar for the other GOP contenders.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2011, 04:56:36 PM »
I'm amazed. I didn't think the campaign was capable of such an upgrade.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2011, 05:27:37 PM »
wow

great start
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2011, 09:30:36 PM »
Made me donate $20.12 to his campaign.

It's still super-early and I'm prepared for him to wind up as a "spoiler" candidate that attracts a lot of heat and ire before the "real" candidate starts to run...

But the "real" candidate isn't going to get a penny from me if he's Rudy McRomney.

And my money will make sure that Paul gets that much more time and air to push the issues I care about, making all the Rudy McRomneys squirm a bit more.

And who knows?  Stranger things have happened.  Maybe he can win if he puts all in and wins over some critics.  It's all about momentum.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2011, 09:41:42 PM »
Made me donate $20.12 to his campaign.

It's still super-early and I'm prepared for him to wind up as a "spoiler" candidate that attracts a lot of heat and ire before the "real" candidate starts to run...

But the "real" candidate isn't going to get a penny from me if he's Rudy McRomney.

And my money will make sure that Paul gets that much more time and air to push the issues I care about, making all the Rudy McRomneys squirm a bit more.

And who knows?  Stranger things have happened.  Maybe he can win if he puts all in and wins over some critics.  It's all about momentum.

That's really the key here.  Why vote for a RINO when it gets you the same outcome as a BHO  2nd term.  Romney in particular.  It's obvious why the media is currently supporting him,  he's all about Obama Care and the AWB.  (in which case, I'd just as soon keep the current idiot)

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2011, 07:17:46 AM »
That's really the key here.  Why vote for a RINO when it gets you the same outcome as a BHO  2nd term.  Romney in particular.  It's obvious why the media is currently supporting him,  he's all about Obama Care and the AWB.  (in which case, I'd just as soon keep the current idiot)

ditto,   ron paul or bust! 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2011, 11:24:07 PM »
There is only one cure for the evils which newly acquired freedom produces -- and that cure is freedom. When a prisoner leaves his cell, he cannot bear the light of day; -- he is unable to discriminate colors, or recognize faces. But the remedy is not to remand him into his dungeon, but to accustom him to the rays of the sun. The blaze of truth and liberty may at first dazzle and bewilder nations which have become half blind in the house of bondage. But let them gaze on, and they will soon be able to bear it.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2011, 11:38:07 AM »
The electability of leaders is defined almost solely by the quality of the political professionals who market them.

And the person running can very easily make himself unelectable, no matter what spin the pros put on it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »
And the person running can very easily make himself unelectable, no matter what spin the pros put on it.

You said it partner!

Yeeeeaaaarrrggghhhhh!!
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2011, 01:06:45 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

• friends
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2011, 08:48:54 AM »

you familiar with how he set himself up?  when asked about the rumors he told the reporter "look if you think i'm running round follow me then!"  the reporter did just that   to the house a couple blocks away where he was meeting her. game set and match

MicroBalrog

• friend

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2011, 02:17:50 PM »
He seems to be learning.

He puts password protection on all the news stories about him?.....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.