Author Topic: I Got Yer "Arab Spring" Right Here!  (Read 10090 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

P5 Guy

Re: I Got Yer "Arab Spring" Right Here!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 01:28:30 PM »
Religion, looking more and more to be the root of evil. JMHuninformedO.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 01:35:53 PM »
 ;/ I'm sure this thread will be super-fun now. Thanks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

P5 Guy

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 01:59:21 PM »
I've got Orangemen and Greenmen in my family and they, well lets just say the hate is something else.
The Englishers get more respect all around from the Os and Gs than they give to each other.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 05:34:23 PM »
I've got Orangemen and Greenmen in my family and they, well lets just say the hate is something else.
The Englishers get more respect all around from the Os and Gs than they give to each other.

Everyone in my family is normal-skin-toned.

What are orangemen and greenmen?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 05:36:59 PM »
Clearly a race of super men. I for one welcome our new Orangemen and Greenmen overlords.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 05:41:19 PM »
I guess it's only natural that Orange and Green... clash. [popcorn]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 06:31:48 PM »
I guess it's only natural that Orange and Green... clash. [popcorn]

According to my art teacher, that's a bunch of blarney.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 06:39:38 PM »
If your relatives are orange and green, respectively, you should probably tell them to go to a doctor to have that checked up. Unless they are Oompa Loompa or Martians obviously.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

P5 Guy

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 07:24:28 PM »
Everyone in my family is normal-skin-toned.

What are orangemen and greenmen?

Orange=Church of England. Green=Catholic. Irishmen one and all, except, of course for the Britts.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 07:35:33 PM »
If your relatives are orange and green, respectively, you should probably tell them to go to a doctor to have that checked up. Unless they are Oompa Loompa or Martians obviously.

What are the religious beliefs of Oompah-Loompahs?

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 07:40:09 PM »
Ironic that belief on some religion has caused more deaths in world history than any other cause.

Humans rationalize their behavior in many strange ways.

Unfortunately, power always seems to cloud religious beliefs.....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
Ironic that belief on some religion has caused more deaths in world history than any other cause.

[citation needed]
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 07:54:49 PM »
Unfortunately, power always seems to cloud religious beliefs.....

Unfortunately, religion is often a smoke-screen for whatever people are really fighting about; and would have fought about anyway.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 08:02:38 PM »
What are the religious beliefs of Oompah-Loompahs?
I'd guess they worship Willy Wonka himself as a savior, what with Wonka taking them from their miserable little island where they spent most of their time getting eaten and wishing for more cacao beans.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 08:12:05 PM »
Unfortunately, religion is often a smoke-screen for whatever people are really fighting about; and would have fought about anyway.

This.

As a recent study of religions, particularly Christianity, I've come to the conclusion that it is not religion that's the problem, but man's misuse and abuse of it.

The overarching theme of Christianity as intended is love and forgiveness. Anything else has no basis in biblical teaching.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 10:46:07 PM »
Sure, religious motives can be used to motivate people to do terrible things. But you can also motivate people by identifying some threat to their freedom or national survival. Or "it's for the children."  So I guess religion is just as terrible as freedom and children and stuff.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 11:42:04 PM »

And here I thought Stalin and Mao (inter alia) were committed secularists determined to stamp out religion. I never knew they were religious zealots. The things you learn on APS!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 08:29:40 AM »
And here I thought Stalin and Mao (inter alia) were committed secularists determined to stamp out religion. I never knew they were religious zealots. The things you learn on APS!

Marxisim when carried through to it's completion is a religion in itself.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 08:37:51 AM »

If we define religion so broadly that it encompasses any point of view one can name. So ideas are the root of all evil!  =)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 08:43:54 AM »
I've heard both the Soviet Union and Red China described as theocracies, with Communism as the state religion . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 08:59:19 AM »
I've heard both the Soviet Union and Red China described as theocracies, with Communism as the state religion . . .

I've heard Obama described as an good president.  That doesn't make it an accurate description.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 09:32:29 AM »

An internet meme that has no basis in fact. The frequency in which it shows up in arguments against "religion"  is a good illustration of our educational systems failure to accurately teach the evils of historic communism.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 09:37:51 AM »
So what this really boils down to is that centralized state power often seeks to corrupt any idea or movement to motivate people and maintain power.   The root of all evil is too much centralized state power.

Catholics and Protestants get along okay in the US.  I think the key difference is that neither uses the Govt to try to stamp out the other.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 10:36:28 AM »
If we define religion so broadly that it encompasses any point of view one can name. So ideas are the root of all evil!  =)

It's pretty simple, really. True marxisim will seek to replace god with the state.  The state is then worshiped.

Consider this: If an atheist worships reason and logic, and seeks to convert others to non-belief, doesn't it then itself become a belief system and a religion?

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”