Author Topic: My children's future  (Read 10410 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: My children's future
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 03:34:11 AM »
How do you intend to do that?
Skillful use of contraceptives?  :P

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 10:31:34 AM »
^^^ If a massive economic collapse in the US occurs, such that emigration is a preferred approach, I wonder how many countries will be willing to accept US emigrants.  My thought is that if the US collapses, much of the rest of the world will go with it, and how open will the borders be?

One of the many reasons I am glad I maintain dual citizenship...

But I really need to renew my passport. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 10:38:48 AM »
One of the many reasons I am glad I maintain dual citizenship...

But I really need to renew my passport. 

That's interesting, dual with what nation?

Also:

Skillful use of contraceptives?  :P

:laugh:

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 10:41:54 AM »
No one ever said North America was the last stop on the Liberty Train.   Emigration is always the final option.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 10:52:53 AM »
We need a new planet.  =(
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 10:54:21 AM »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 11:44:19 AM »
We need a new planet.  =(

I've lately been curious about the lack of a frontier in modern times. Somewhere for people to go and build their new society (or escape society). The Americas first and, more recently, the west (of the US) provided this. We don't really have a frontier any more.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2011, 11:55:16 AM »
I've lately been curious about the lack of a frontier in modern times. Somewhere for people to go and build their new society (or escape society). The Americas first and, more recently, the west (of the US) provided this. We don't really have a frontier any more.
I've thought about this too. Really isn't anywhere left to go on this planet.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 02:12:54 PM »

Any frontier would be dangerous as hell. I doubt you'd take your children there.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 02:50:08 PM »
Any frontier would be dangerous as hell. I doubt you'd take your children there.

Oh my yes. I didn't say I wanted to go to a frontier. I said I've been musing about the lack of one.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 03:02:44 PM »
Oh my yes. I didn't say I wanted to go to a frontier. I said I've been musing about the lack of one.

I've had a few clients I'd have liked to suggest a move out to the frontier for... but alas, the army seems to be the best bet for a new start at life for most.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 03:41:53 PM »

You believe all those stories about Reavers ?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 03:47:01 PM »
Somalia: The Final Frontier.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 03:49:37 PM »
Lots and lots of empty land for the taking in Greenland.  What is Denmark going to do about it?  Use harsh language?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 05:31:39 PM »
You believe all those stories about Reavers ?   =|

Consider the few frontier-versions we have available to us:

Seasteading, Somalia, and outer space.

THey're all dangerous as hell, that's why they're frontiers.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 05:42:20 PM »
Consider the few frontier-versions we have available to us:

Seasteading, Somalia, and outer space.

THey're all dangerous as hell, that's why they're frontiers.

Seastedding and outer space are also 'spensive as all get-out.  And still require goobermint permits.

Try launching an ICBM-class rocket capable of taking your 21st century version of a space covered wagon and see how many NATO countries launch interceptor warheads.

Or building "Rapture" on the sea bed without clearing the area of submarine mines, sonar equipment, fiber optic runs and whatnot.

And Somalia... sucks. :laugh:  That's like deliberately crossing the ocean in the 16th century and setting up a small colony just down-river from the Aztecs.  Or settling on Miranda.

No parallel at all to the Oregon Trail and the expanses of unsettled land from Arizona to Alaska where a fellow could settle down and have no law but what he established with his neighbors.  Private contractual law to rule regular life, like was intended for our country.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2011, 05:46:47 PM »
And Somalia... sucks. :laugh:  That's like deliberately crossing the ocean in the 16th century and setting up a small colony just down-river from the Aztecs.  Or settling on Miranda.

No parallel at all to the Oregon Trail and the expanses of unsettled land from Arizona to Alaska where a fellow could settle down and have no law but what he established with his neighbors.  Private contractual law to rule regular life, like was intended for our country.

And look how many people died doing that.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 05:53:08 PM »
Don't forget speed dating.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 06:10:29 PM »
And look how many people died doing that.

The 1800s were a dangerous time.

Mortality rate was 100%  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »
That's interesting, dual with what nation?

Brazil
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2011, 12:24:08 PM »
There's a new frontier: common sense (aka reality).
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2011, 08:24:58 PM »
Not so much New as Abandoned.  =(
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams