Author Topic: More SCOTUS betrayal- Stolen Valor.  (Read 10703 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
More SCOTUS betrayal- Stolen Valor.
« on: June 28, 2012, 11:33:41 PM »
So the SCOTUS also ruled that it is OK to lie about receiving military medals

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06/28/court-tosses-law-about-false-claims-on-medals/?test=latestnews

Since lying is constitutionally protected under the 1st amendment what else is it OK to lie about?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: More SCOTUS betrayal- Stolen Valor.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:35:49 PM »
So the SCOTUS also ruled that it is OK to lie about receiving military medals

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06/28/court-tosses-law-about-false-claims-on-medals/?test=latestnews

Since lying is constitutionally protected under the 1st amendment what else is it OK to lie about?

Involvement in a gun-running scheme ......  [tinfoil]

I actually don't have a big problem with this ruling.  I do, however, think that people who falsely claim they have medals for heroic deeds they never did should be introduced to Seal Team Six.  >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 12:32:01 AM »
We have laws against fraud. If the lie isn't actionable under such laws, then free speech seems to apply.

FWIW, I've served in the military. I have no medals to write home about. People like Alvarez should be ashamed of themselves, but they shouldn't be dragged into court. Maybe encouraged to self-deport...

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 12:44:18 AM »
We have laws against fraud. If the lie isn't actionable under such laws, then free speech seems to apply.

+1.

This law reminds me of medieval to early-modern-age England, where lying about your class would get you imprisoned. *expletive deleted* that noise.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 01:18:13 AM »
Let's see ...

It is unlawful to claim to be a police officer if you are not a police officer;

It is unlawful to claim to be a member of the U.S. military if you are not a member of the U.S. military;

It is unlawful to wear the uniform of any of the branches of the U.S. military if you are not a member of the U.S. military;

It is unlawful (I think) to wear any U.S. military medal which has not been awarded to you by the U.S. military;

BUT ...

Somehow it is NOT unlawful to claim that you "were" a member of the U.S. military and to claim (without wearing it) that you were awarded various medals of the U.S. military? This makes no sense at all. Why is it an actionable offense to falsely claim that you ARE a member of the military or to wear a medal you didn't earn while you are in the service, but NOT an actionable offense to falsely claim that you WERE a member of the military or to wear (or claim) a medal you didn't earn when you are NOT a member of the U.S. military?

I'm losing all respect for the SCOTUS -- even the couple for whom I once had a modicum of respect.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 01:27:10 AM »
Let's see ...

It is unlawful to claim to be a member of the U.S. military if you are not a member of the U.S. military;

It is unlawful to wear the uniform of any of the branches of the U.S. military if you are not a member of the U.S. military;

It is unlawful (I think) to wear any U.S. military medal which has not been awarded to you by the U.S. military;

Are any of those things true?  ???

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 01:54:02 AM »

Are any of those things true?  ???

Yes.

NYS
http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article190.htm

Ohio
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2921.51

Cali
http://www.shouselaw.com/false-impersonation.html

Those ^^^ are just the first three that popped on a search into laws against impersonating a police officer.  The King doesn;t want you defrauding his subjects, as he dislikes the competition.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 02:42:33 AM »
It's unlawful to claim to be a police officer because police officers are granted powers that ordinary citizens don't have. This is generally not true with military personnel.

It is unlawful to claim to be a member of the U.S. military if you are not a member of the U.S. military; [citation needed]

It is unlawful to wear the uniform of any of the branches of the U.S. military if you are not a member of the U.S. military; [citation needed]

It is unlawful (I think) to wear any U.S. military medal which has not been awarded to you by the U.S. military; [citation needed]
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 08:50:22 AM »
Yes.

NYS
http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article190.htm

Ohio
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2921.51

Cali
http://www.shouselaw.com/false-impersonation.html

Those ^^^ are just the first three that popped on a search into laws against impersonating a police officer.  The King doesn;t want you defrauding his subjects, as he dislikes the competition.

The NY and Cali laws specify that the impersonator has to be attempting to gain some benefit, or do some kind of harm, which should already be covered by laws against fraud. The Ohio laws make impersonation a crime, regardless, but still say it's ok if there is a "lawful purpose." I presume that exception is intended for theatrical productions and Halloween and such.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 09:16:57 AM »
Let's see ...

Impersonating an actively serving police officer or member of the military is illegal because doing so allows you to situationally exert authority over others.   Telling someone you used to be a cop or in the military doesn't mean diddly beyond them possibly giving you respect you don't deserve.

I think people who falsely claim military service or honors are douchebags of the highest order, but I have to grudgingly agree with the Alvarez ruling.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 09:24:40 AM »

As much as it sucks, pretty much.  

I'm not even sure of how many medals I have? I tended to throw them in a sack of other junk. More ribbons meant more stuff I had to keep track of on my Class A's. I tended to never get a medal for anything I thought was worthwhile. But I got an Commendation or Achievement medal for wiring the base theater for AV and ethernet over a weekend.  ;/

I just wonder why the heck someone would try to impress folks with fake ribbons. WTF? So you can bask in the high esteem that folks have for your fake history?

Impersonating an actively serving police officer or member of the military is illegal because doing so allows you to situationally exert authority over others.   Telling someone you used to be a cop or in the military doesn't mean diddly beyond them possibly giving you respect you don't deserve.

I think people who falsely claim military service or honors are douchebags of the highest order, but I have to grudgingly agree with the Alvarez ruling.

I gotta agree with Bryan. It sucks, but it's the right call.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:32:04 AM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 11:24:01 AM »

I'm not even sure of how many medals I have? I tended to throw them in a sack of other junk. More ribbons meant more stuff I had to keep track of on my Class A's. I tended to never get a medal for anything I thought was worthwhile. But I got an Commendation or Achievement medal for wiring the base theater for AV and ethernet over a weekend.  ;/

I just wonder why the heck someone would try to impress folks with fake ribbons. WTF? So you can bask in the high esteem that folks have for your fake history?

This.

Ultimately, enforcing stolen valor comes down to "more government" not less. I'll take odious posuer douchebags and less government, thanks.
I promise not to duck.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »
If the rule of law means the rule of lying then all is well.  One more brick in the wall.  This is no victory for individual liberty twist it as we may.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 03:25:31 PM »
This doesn't need to be illegal, a program of naming and shaming will work just as well.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 04:16:19 PM »
I've met quite a few green berets/special forces/seal team/"marines" that for some reason do not know what a dd214 is. ;/

One "navy seal" I met didn't know where fore or aft was, as well as bow and stern  :facepalm: when he didn't know dd214 I screamed at him and embarrassed him in front of the 5 or 6 people he was drinking with, I hadn't intended to, it just happened.

Generally I keep my mouth shut with these types and keep in mind not to trust them.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 04:26:55 PM »
If the rule of law means the rule of lying then all is well.  One more brick in the wall.  This is no victory for individual liberty twist it as we may.

I would think that you, of all people, would see the problem with governments punishing people for speaking what the government considers to be lies. I, for one, don't want to be jailed for spreading "lies" about global warming, or what-have-you.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 05:35:40 PM »

I'm with Rev and fistful on this.

Sometimes free speech sucks but, we're much better off with it than trying to control it.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

erictank

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 05:53:46 PM »
This doesn't need to be illegal, a program of naming and shaming will work just as well.

This.

Yes, stolen-valor types are posers and douchebags, and if they say or do something which is actionable under fraud law, nail 'em to the wall. Otherwise, I have to agree that naming and shaming is a better course of action than calling for yet another law.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »

Unless..... http://www.tali.org/licensing_requirements.htm

To be a private investigator in Texas, you have to have at least three years of investigation experience. Most PI's get that through working for a law enforcement agency. Under your reasoning, it's OK to lie about having been a LEO b/c you are not actively serving as a LEO. I think the State of Texas might see that differently.....or, at least, make for a great case to test....

I think SCOTUS screwed this one, too.....if the "Stolen Valor" scum weren't lying for gain, what were they lying for?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 07:27:27 PM »
I think either existing federal fraud laws or local SV equivalents are the way to address the issue. A fed.gov law does seem to infringe the 1st as well as overstep Constitutional reach.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 07:48:35 PM »
Unless..... http://www.tali.org/licensing_requirements.htm

To be a private investigator in Texas, you have to have at least three years of investigation experience. Most PI's get that through working for a law enforcement agency. Under your reasoning, it's OK to lie about having been a LEO b/c you are not actively serving as a LEO. I think the State of Texas might see that differently.....or, at least, make for a great case to test....

I think SCOTUS screwed this one, too.....if the "Stolen Valor" scum weren't lying for gain, what were they lying for?....

If you actually read the ruling (this is to everyone, not just you) you will see that the reasoning is that by merely claiming the awards/association you are not gaining a palpable benefit from your lie.

However, if you lie in order to gain a real benefit, like a PI license, or on offcial documents with penalties associated, then applicable fraud laws apply.  As with most laws, the trick is to write narrow laws that punish only actions that actually harm others.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 09:18:49 PM »
If you actually read the ruling (this is to everyone, not just you) you will see that the reasoning is that by merely claiming the awards/association you are not gaining a palpable benefit from your lie.

Then what was the purpose of their lie?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 09:30:42 PM »
Then what was the purpose of their lie?.....

Personal aggrandizement apparently doesn't count. The Court basically said info was available to check in cases that mattered but didn't rise to "gain", like elections.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 09:41:25 PM »

I would think that you, of all people, would see the problem with governments punishing people for speaking what the government considers to be lies. I, for one, don't want to be jailed for spreading "lies" about global warming, or what-have-you.

I was referring to the specific case but point well taken.  It's just symptomatic of the culture's decline, though.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 03:17:07 PM »
As I read in one article.  These people usually are dealt with in other matters.  And then I can claim 1st Amendment protection when I take care of the situation.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!