Author Topic: NSA seizes/monitor all Verizon customers.  (Read 9393 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
NSA seizes/monitor all Verizon customers.
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:02:33 AM »
And I'm one of them.

Apparently the Obama administration has a blanket order to Verizon that "requires Verizon on an 'ongoing, daily basis' to give the NSA information on all telephone calls in its systems, both within the U.S. and between the U.S. and other countries."

I bet within the next few days we'll find out that Sprint, AT&T, et al also have been ordered to produce all their records.  

I'd like to know who requested the order.  Holder?  

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jun/5/nsa-seizes-phone-records-verizon-customers/#ixzz2VRNu09ix

« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:05:55 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: NSA seizes/monitor all Verizon customers.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:05:18 AM »
I bet within the next few days we'll find out that Sprint, AT&T, et al also have been order to produce all their records. 

No kidding. 

I am so shocked right now. Shocked, I tell you.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 09:17:15 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_641A

641A was just the first one exposed.  They're all over in datacenters and colocations around the country and world.  They splice fiber, duplicate the packet, allow it to go on its way, and log/sniff/analyze every byte of it, be it voice or data.  Narus makes the hardware for it.

http://wiki.echelon2.org/wiki/Narus

ETA:  This shyt doesn't get installed because the NSA says to do it, after the carrier is already in place and going peacefully about their business of facilitating communication.  It's MASSIVE infrastructure.  It gets installed because the data carriers engineer for it to be there, prior to installation.  Verizon, ATT, Sprint and others are 100% complicit in this.  They LIKE the traffic analysis they get out of spying on you.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:22:21 AM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 09:45:22 AM »
I'm sure my calls were really interesting [/sarcasm]

Shocked I am not.  =(
Andy

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 09:52:19 AM »
Color me surprised....not.  As AZ pointed out it has been going on for quite awhile.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »

Shocked I am not.  =(

I hope we're being monitored more effectively than diplomatic facilities overseas, media organizations, .gov agency spending, etc. ;/

I'd like to believe somebody somewhere isn't monumentally corrupt and/or colossally incompetent.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: NSA seizes/monitor all Verizon customers.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 12:19:26 PM »
Is it still paranoia if they really are out to get you?

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 12:58:14 PM »
Is there any cell service without such?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 01:03:34 PM »
Our government seems to be waging a cold war on the citizenry.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 01:51:57 PM »
Our government seems to be waging a cold war on the citizenry.

Fascinating.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 01:59:20 PM »

Shocked I am not.  =(

Actually, they are. The contents, meh. The call itself... You get the endpoints, duration, location, and frequency. Useful, that.

Is there any cell service without such?

Qwest didn't, back in 2006. Then coincidentally, its President went to jail. Said gentleman says NSA was asking quite a while before 9/11. Also, carriers get paid to implement CALEA. You don't tell the NSA to piss off and expect to run a telco in the US. You'll never get another US government contract again. And if there is any dirt in your life, everyone that can use it will have it in short order. They're not people to mess with.

So, short answer, no, there isn't and won't be. They have no incentive to protect your privacy, and every reason to sell it to the US government.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 02:00:30 PM »
My new goal is to include target words in every benign phone call. When my wife calls from the market, ill remind her to pick up some jihad peppers.
In the last week some of us on illinoiscarry dot com got spam emails from randy weaver and David Koresh. My spam filter blocked them but now I wonder if they were bait from big bro gubmint?
What we have here is failure to communicate.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 05:23:09 PM »
Bet you every lawyer and cop who has had to get a warrant for that kind of data for investigations like murders, rapes, abductions and the rest over the last six years feels like a bit of a fool now.   
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »
Listen to this exchange.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sen.-mark-kirk-to-eric-holder-is-doj-spying-on-congress/article/2531286

I'll bet this will fire up some Congresscritters.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 05:41:16 PM »
I think the best way to dodge this kind of stuff is to augment the TCP carrier protocol.

TCP means transmission control protocol, and it arranges for sequencing and proper ordinal labeling of packets.  This means that as you talk into Skype and you say "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy fistful," that gets broken apart into thousands and thousands of TCP packets.  They are then routed using a bunch of other protocols, and the ultimate listening computer doesn't do anything with these packets unless they are received in the correct sequence.  If our fistful sentence above were to only consist of 9 packets (1 per word) rather than the thousands of packets it would actually consist of, it's listening for packet 1 and won't do anything with packet 2 until it first confirms that packet 1 arrived. 

In the event that, say, packet 3 is lost along the way due to a routing or switching fluke, the recipient computer says "hey, send me that again!" because it knows it was supposed to receive 9 packets but lost one, only getting 8 of them and missing #3.

It would be lovely if TCP were more latency tolerant to a few hundred milliseconds, and some enterprising TOR-loving person out there created a route-hopping or proxy-hopping VoIP app that sent your packets to their ultimate destination, but used constantly dynamically changing routes to get there.  That way, the Narus box in Los Angeles may get packets 1, 2 and 9 and think fistful is a great track star or something... and the Narus box in Chicago gets packets 3, 7 and 8 and can't make anything of it, and the Narus box in Virginia gets packets 4, 5 and 6 and also get gibberish from it.  But the end recipient still gets their correct message.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 05:58:50 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Waitone

• friend
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 06:55:49 PM »
While disgusted, I'm not surprised. 

You can always buy a throwaway phone.  Stupid that ordinary citizens have to play drug dealer tricks to be safe from government surveillance, in the United States. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

agricola

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 07:23:40 PM »
gets worse
http://wapo.st/1888aNr

Thats outrageous, the number of pictures of Ariel Meredith that I look at on the internet should be a private thing.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 08:55:08 PM »
You folks think that's all the NSA monitors?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 08:57:11 PM »
Echelkn grabs all the air stuff too. But yeah... seems all we hear about them is to let rip a big old greasy dump on us in country.
--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 08:59:10 PM »
You folks think that's all the NSA monitors?

I'm sure they're keeping track of who watches FAIL videos on YT.   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 09:32:09 PM »
Tallpine, what I was referring to is that the Verizon thing is just a drop in the bucket with respect to the NSA surveillance program as a whole.

IMHO, the Patriot Act gave them and other 3-letter agencies carte blanche to drill pretty much wherever they felt under the guise of fighting Terr'ism.

The folks inside the Beltway were my customers for HUMINT and MASINT, and I had to remind them of the Intelligence Oversight Act on several occasions.  It was almost as if they had brainstorming sessions exploring how far they could push the envelope each day. They're ALWAYS looking for a way to get juicy intel, and like a bad puppy, sometimes require a rolled up newspaper swat across the nose when they fouled the carpet.

I'll never forget when the Commander, USPACOM personally told me "Good Job" when I told the CIA to stuff it with regard to one of their hare-brained schemes. 

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• friend

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.