Author Topic: Michigan legislature butthurt over Tesla, votes to essentially ban them  (Read 5244 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2014/10/gov_rick_snyder_signs_anti-tes.html

I don't like Teslas that much, but seeing some local .gov flunkies trying to stifle freedom of choice and competition makes me like them more. I'm sure your legislation will keep all those buggy whip makers in your state on top there Snyder.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Michigan legislature butthurt over Tesla, votes to essentially ban them
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 08:00:46 PM »
As much as they tout their "Direct to the Customer" they still have storefronts in malls and the like.  Granted it's slightly different then a dealership as far as who works for whom, but there are still sales guys and while they may not be trying to upsell the rustproofing, they are still trying to sell.  (although with a sticker price of $60k-100k) they aren't for the teeming mass of drivers.

And several times in the article it clearly states that the Tesla's retail model is already prohibited from selling in MI, so I'm not sure the headline is accurate.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 12:37:36 AM »
(although with a sticker price of $60k-100k) they aren't for the teeming mass of drivers.

They're coming out with a $30K-35K "Model 3" in 2016 or 2017. Still a tad pricey, but about the same as a top-trim Honda Accord. I'm still undecided about electric cars; they're just almost to where I'd consider one. Just really need one more battery technology revolution on the scale of the one from NiMH to Lithium-based, and I think they'll really take off (if the price were right). As it is I have a 40 mile commute, and most electric cars could just barely make it there and back, if I didn't use the A/C or heater . . . One thing the Teslas have going for them is better range over most other electric cars. The Model 3 is supposed to have a 200 mile range.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 12:42:15 AM »
I've yet to understand the appeal of electric cars.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 12:55:16 AM »
They're coming out with a $30K-35K "Model 3" in 2016 or 2017. Still a tad pricey, but about the same as a top-trim Honda Accord. I'm still undecided about electric cars; they're just almost to where I'd consider one. Just really need one more battery technology revolution on the scale of the one from NiMH to Lithium-based, and I think they'll really take off (if the price were right). As it is I have a 40 mile commute, and most electric cars could just barely make it there and back, if I didn't use the A/C or heater . . . One thing the Teslas have going for them is better range over most other electric cars. The Model 3 is supposed to have a 200 mile range.

From what I've seen in road tests the Tesla's claimed range is a bit on the, shall we say, optimistic side. Real-world range in everyday driving seems to be anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3 the advertised range, and is as dependent on weather as it is driving conditions. Using A/C or heat is an instant 1/3 range hit.

There's also the problem with them bursting into lithium-enhanced flame at the slightest provocation (like speed bumps or common roadway debris). I think they've undergone a significant redesign to combat the issue, but until they dramatically improve battery type/casement it will remain a problem to some degree.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 02:10:50 AM »
Tesla is the company that sued Top Gear for reporting that their mileage claims were a joke, and that both their testers had catastrophic failures. Personally, if I had to drive an eco friendly car, and could afford one, I'd get a Fisker Karma. Great looking car,  1000lb/ft of torque, and no charging needed.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 04:22:42 AM »

100% torque at 0 RPM
Quiet
Don't need to visit gas stations
Vastly lower per mile cost

They're still too short ranged to meet everybody's needs as well as too expensive, but they have improved tremendously.

Calumus - From what I've heard, Fisker Karmas are horrible cars in reality.  A lot of defects.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 09:40:04 AM »
How is the per mile cost calculated? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 10:14:57 AM »
How is the per mile cost calculated? 

The ones I've seen were strictly electrical cost per mile, ignoring the actual (unsubsidized) battery replacement cost amortized over a given mileage. IIRC there was a thread a few years back where we calculated all of that on an actual cost-per-mile basis. At that time and gas price a passenger car getting somewhere in the upper 20s/lower 30s mpg have a same per-mile ownership cost as whatever electric we were using for comparison.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 10:47:39 AM »
The ones I've seen were strictly electrical cost per mile,

Did they assume cost as plugging it at home? I'm going to be curious to see what per mile changes happen when electrics become more ubiquitous. Right now, due to incentives, electric car drivers can plug into all sorts of "free" charge stations when they're on the road.

If the vehicles become more commonplace, that incentive is going to go away. Chargers like the AeroVironment rapid chargers are not cheap.  At some point, there's going to be the equivalent of gas stations, and those operators are going to want to recover costs and make a profit.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 10:53:05 AM »
Did they assume cost as plugging it at home? I'm going to be curious to see what per mile changes happen when electrics become more ubiquitous. Right now, due to incentives, electric car drivers can plug into all sorts of "free" charge stations when they're on the road.

For people who don't drive a whole lot, an off-grid solar charging station converts the monthly bill into a one-time investment.  Grid tied ones balance out more effectively for most, though.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 11:14:34 AM »

I would love to have an electric vehicle if it was big enough and had a long enough range.   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 11:21:11 AM »
For people who don't drive a whole lot, an off-grid solar charging station converts the monthly bill into a one-time investment.  Grid tied ones balance out more effectively for most, though.

I was meaning commercial stations, rather than someone buying a home station though. If you have even 50% of vehicles on the road being electric, and lets assume a fast charge rate of 15 minutes, that's still way slower than a gas fillup. I would imagine that an "electric gas station" in an urban / suburban area would have to have at least twenty charge stations to keep lines from forming. That's gotta be many acres of solar panels.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 11:37:05 AM »
I was meaning commercial stations, rather than someone buying a home station though. If you have even 50% of vehicles on the road being electric, and lets assume a fast charge rate of 15 minutes, that's still way slower than a gas fillup. I would imagine that an "electric gas station" in an urban / suburban area would have to have at least twenty charge stations to keep lines from forming. That's gotta be many acres of solar panels.

For most of the real target market, there's not much use to commercial charging stations; you'd still have something gasoline powered for long trips, and use the electric for the daily commute, grocery runs, etc. that don't come near its total range.  Considering how rarely I drive more than 25 miles in a day, I'd love to have one of the electric motorcycles with a 30-50 mile range, and wouldn't really ever have a need to charge it away from home, though I would still need a car for the once-a-month 200 mile round trip to some event in the city.

Therein lies a big part of the problem, IMO; even if I only got the regular car out of the garage once or twice a month, registration, inspection and insurance costs would still be the same as if I drove it every day.  There should be low-use vehicle options for those that would allow somebody who drives a particular car less than x miles per year or less than y days per year to get them much more cheaply and pay them 2-3 years at a time.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 11:52:37 AM »
Yea, still not seeing it.

100% torque at 0 RPM

I've had several of cars that could roast the tires off the line in their stock configuration.

Quiet

The only car I had that was actually loud was an Eagle talon that the previous owner put a glass pack on.  I had it cut off and a muffler put on, and it was fine.  Seriously, are there people that think production cars with factory exhaust are too loud because of engine noise?

Don't need to visit gas stations

I suppose there's something to that, but I rather like that I can dump hundreds of miles of energy into my car in a few minutes.

Vastly lower per mile cost

I believe this will be fixed by our legislators soon.  The vastly lower cost per mile is not because of end to end energy efficiency, it is because of effectively evading road and fuel taxes.  That won't be allowed to stand in the long term.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 01:45:18 PM »
For most of the real target market, there's not much use to commercial charging stations; you'd still have something gasoline powered for long trips, and use the electric for the daily commute, grocery runs, etc. that don't come near its total range.  Considering how rarely I drive more than 25 miles in a day, I'd love to have one of the electric motorcycles with a 30-50 mile range, and wouldn't really ever have a need to charge it away from home, though I would still need a car for the once-a-month 200 mile round trip to some event in the city.

Therein lies a big part of the problem, IMO; even if I only got the regular car out of the garage once or twice a month, registration, inspection and insurance costs would still be the same as if I drove it every day.  There should be low-use vehicle options for those that would allow somebody who drives a particular car less than x miles per year or less than y days per year to get them much more cheaply and pay them 2-3 years at a time.

I can certainly concede to that point in the somewhat short-mid term. I guess the very long term question would be, will we still have / be allowed to drive gasoline and diesel vehicles for those long trips, and if so, will the fuel be affordable, or $20/gal? If the electric vehicle becomes the primary mode of personal transportation for both short and long trips, there are going to have to be enough commercial charging stations available to make trips efficient (i.e., not having to drive well out of one's way or wait in long lines).

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 01:51:16 PM »
Electric cars can use diamond lanes (carpool lanes) regardless of the number of occupants.  Of course, this is an artificial advantage created by the government, and is irrelevant if there are no diamond lanes in your area.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 03:07:54 PM »
And let's not ignore the Administration's War on Coal.  Electricity prices are going to rise as Nuke plants approach the end of their service lives, and more and more coal fired plants go off-line due to the new EPA regs.   Green energy won't be able to make up for those losses and feed electric cars.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 03:35:31 PM »
ignoring the actual (unsubsidized) battery replacement cost amortized over a given mileage.

Was that back in the lead-acid/NiMH days?  They've really come a long way since then at extending the life of the battery, and their cost per kwh has dropped substantially as well.

An $12k battery that lasts 12 years at 15k miles a year less than 7 cents a mile.  Electricity adds another 3 cents or so.

Tesla is working on cutting the cost of the battery in half again.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 08:05:29 PM »
Calumus - From what I've heard, Fisker Karmas are horrible cars in reality.  A lot of defects.

I've read the same, plus the company is bankrupt. So not exactly a safe bet in any case. They just happen to be a genuinely good looking car, which isn't par for the course with eco-mobiles. Its also more practical then a straight electric, it actually runs off of a gas powered generator. You can still drive the thing like a real car. Realistically, if they got distribution set up, hydrogen is the way to go. The Honda Clarity is a hydrogen power cell car that you fill up like normal. Pull up to a pump, fill it up with hydrogen in a couple minutes, then drive 400 miles. wouldn't have to change our way of life at all. There's a good Top Gear review of it from a couple of years ago.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 08:15:42 PM »
Charging stations are non-existent in my area. We seldom see pure electric vehicles (lots of hybrids though). The only time in recent memory I can recall seeing an electric car, it was driven by one of the local econuts and was plugged into the exterior outlet at the office at my old park so that he could sap electricity while he went to the beach for the day. I flipped off the breaker to that circuit since the panel was in my office...and secured it with a lockout cover...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 09:35:35 PM »
^^^ Did it make you feel good to Fight The Power like this?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 10:35:32 PM »
Was that back in the lead-acid/NiMH days?  They've really come a long way since then at extending the life of the battery, and their cost per kwh has dropped substantially as well.

Tesla is working on cutting the cost of the battery in half again.

Color me skeptical.  I'll believe Musk when I see it.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 11:41:49 PM »
Chemistry and Physics are against him....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 11:53:03 PM »
Chemistry and Physics are against him....

There have been some promising improvements to lithium-ion technology in the news recently. One example (double the energy density, 1/5 the cost):

http://fortune.com/2014/09/18/sakti3-lithium-ion-battery/

Of course that one is "2-3 years from commercialization", the question is whether in 2-3 years it will be available to buy or still "2-3 years from commercialization".