Author Topic: Duplex Duplicity  (Read 1141 times)

Duplex Duplicity
« on: July 21, 2006, 06:48:55 PM »
Hi there everybody.  I've a delightful situation which I think calls for older and wiser heads to chime in on.  

Well, for starters, I'm starting at a law school in Queens in less than a month.  I met two people from the roommate list provided by the school.  They seemed alright.  A broker found us a place and we signed for it, put down the money, etc.

A few days before the scheduled move in I went down with my parents to measure out rooms and whatnot.  Baby roaches in almost all the closets.  The placed was bombed and remodled, I figure they are coming in through the walls of the place next door, so nothing they are willing to do with out place is going to get rid of them (also, its an old building with illegal immigrant style renovations about 3 layers thick).  

While waiting for my house-mates outside the duplex today I discovered that the gardening service shreds tree branches twice a week about 20 yards from our building, making such noice that one must shout to the person standing next to them on the stoop.  
What makes that worse is that the garden service trucks (the landlords people) drive their trucks over the curb and across our front and side lawn.  It was raining hard today so they went through mud and now the sidewalk is completely buried.  

Finally I discovered that my house-mates had locked themselves out of the building.  Apparently with the keys they were given they could only get the rear door open and 'someone' had gone inside and used the chain lock.  This was the reason I waited out in the rain for over an hour, upon discovering they locked themselves out, they went home (forgetting the meeting they scheduled with me for 1 PM).  Nothing like driving 3 hours and then standing around for another.  

The two house-mates had actually gotten the keys early.  The same afternoon I was told I couldn't get them till the next day after 3pm.  Imagine just having driven down there, driven back, and then before you can even get the crimp out of your back hearing that.  

What makes that worse is then discovering that one of the house-mates is a lying conniving weasel.  This prompted my going down today to meet with them, being stuck in the rain, discovering the gardening service and door situation.  Sordid details of his lying, cheating, and conniving need not be mentioned.  I figure knowing him to be a cheat should enable me to avoid any future trouble with him. I don't have to actually like house-mates, just think of them as rent reducers and whatnot, think positive thoughts.

Soooo that much of the story related, what do you think I should do?  
My current thought is to raise as much heck with the broker and landlord as I can, try to get a rent reduction or some such (roaches, mud, heavy machinery every few days for extended periods (think 3-4 hours) giving keys early to some and not others (they figured they would move in and take their choice of rooms... they still have a college dorm/frat house type view).

I've got a lot more rant in me, feel free to elicit it.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Duplex Duplicity
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 11:45:41 PM »
Well, I can tell you living with a conniving etc etc will NEVER work. Next thing you know he'll be sneaking into your room when you're out to steal change out of your change jar and who knows what else. Then he'll deny it vehemently. Been there, that's how I know. Chances are he'll have trouble coming up with the rent when it's due also. Do your best to get out of that mess, even if it causes you to lose a deposit etc. Try and find a studio apt or something that you can swing alone. I learned my lesson the hard way about roommates years ago. Take the benefit from my experience and RUN FORREST, RUUUNNN!!!

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

TarpleyG

• friend
Duplex Duplicity
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 02:53:45 AM »
I agree with 280...take a monetary hit now instead of a psychological one later.  Document EVERYTHING, no matter how small the detail because the landlord will likely come after you for all the rent money for the entire lease period since you already signed a lease.  Can you get some legal aid from school on this?  Definitely get the hell away from this.

Greg

Duplex Duplicity
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 04:34:10 AM »
Change of Plans: After further debacle with dealing with the housemates (turns out they signed out my key as well and simply left me while driving to their assorted home with all the keys) I'm pulling up stake.  I called up the broker and let them know Im not at all comfortable with the guys, they've lied, they're buddy buddy and shown they will lie for eachother, I'm a scholarship student and can't deal with that undergrad frathouse mentality.  I said this to the broker, mentioning that I'm saying it in confidence, that I don't want to involve or deal with the housemates as one of them has demonstrated quite a temper.  The broker mentioned that the housemate mentioned has been yelling and carrying on while talking to him on the phone too.  Broker said he doesn't know what to do but he will contact the management of the place and see what he can do.  

I tossed out a few ideas like moving someplace else owned by the company, possible being someone elses housemate.  I pray that such connivers arn't that common.  Foolishly I said that I understand if Im stuck with part of the money lost.  But, eh, you live and you learn.  I'll keep you guys posted.

If something can't be reasonably worked out Ill contact the law school monday, see if they have people I can talk to.  And Ill keep my eyes open for other housing.

280plus

• friend
Duplex Duplicity
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 07:57:33 AM »
That was my other question. These connivers are studying to be LAWYERS!?! God there's a million jokes there but underneath it all it ain't so funny. shocked

Duplex Duplicity
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 08:59:40 AM »

Its the 95% of lawyers that give the other 5% a bad name.

There is so much humor potential, but its tough as the jokes are seemingly all on me.

I'm waiting to hear back from the broker who said he is calling mangement to see what can be done.  

:sulks:

Plenty of other places out there, parents push to get everything set well before the start of law school is biting me in the ass.  I'm now daily getting emails with housing offers of far better deals than what I signed up for.

Duplex Duplicity
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 11:15:41 AM »
I realise that this might be subject to geography, but I dont think there is any reason why a person should have to live with roaches. I will not. If it has roaches when its unnocupied, imagine how much worse it will be when there is food available for the little horrors.

Duplex Duplicity
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 01:04:16 PM »
Quote from: c_yeager
I realise that this might be subject to geography, but I dont think there is any reason why a person should have to live with roaches. I will not. If it has roaches when its unnocupied, imagine how much worse it will be when there is food available for the little horrors.
Its a duplex so its half of a building.  And its a shoddy job of remodeling stacked on remodeling, think abandoned wiring and painted over wall sockets.  So there are alot of nooks and crannies.  Think.... nature finds a way.  With all that extra space Im sure there can be entire thriving insect and mold ecosytems from walled up crawlspaces.

280plus

• friend
Duplex Duplicity
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 01:19:58 PM »
If you DO get stuck staying there spreading boric acid in all nooks and crannys and around the edges of each room will help keep them down. And get a padlock for the door to your room. Keeps honest people honest and even dishonest people too.

Duplex Duplicity
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 02:22:34 PM »
Quote from: 280plus
If you DO get stuck staying there spreading boric acid in all nooks and crannys and around the edges of each room will help keep them down. And get a padlock for the door to your room. Keeps honest people honest and even dishonest people too.
Good Fences make good neighbors.  If the landlord/broker can't work anything out for me, I'm simply going to live in the big room.  Door closed and lock.  For bathing and cooking, the only outside the room activities, I think I can avoid them.

Landlord willing tho, I'm not going to have to ever live with them.

Furor fit laesa saepius patientia.
   Patience when tested too often turns to anger.
(I love appropriate latin quotes... I've many a flask with such witty sayings recorded)

mgdavis

• friend
Duplex Duplicity
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 05:58:31 PM »
Get out now if at all possible. I did the roommate thing in a three bedroom apartment. One of the guys was (and still is) my best friend. The other was a guy we were friends with fron high school. We drew cards and I landed in the master bedroom with my own bathroom. I quickly found out that I was the only one who cared about cleaning. I was working full-time, and didn't feel like cleaning other peoples messes. The rest of the apartment got filthy. I had to make the others clean. We didn't get back the security deposit, and that blemish is going to stay in my rental history as my fault as much as theirs because we all cosigned on the lease. I fought with my best friend, we had to kick out the other guy, I lost money. Don't do the roommate thing if you can avoid it.

280plus

• friend
Duplex Duplicity
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 12:05:00 AM »
Oh boy!! We can trade evil roomate stories!! I'll bet we could fill up pages!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Duplex Duplicity
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 05:59:13 AM »
Friend of mine sub leased to some people. It was very complex, with people moving in and moving out.

He ended up being the only one on the lease, and had 4 other people living there. After a couple of months, they ALL stopped paying him for the rent and utilities.

So, he cancelled all the utilities. They threatened him, he padlocked their rooms (not sure of the legality of that one).

He finally got most of his money.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.