Author Topic: Jump Starter Override  (Read 546 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Jump Starter Override
« on: December 04, 2023, 09:50:59 AM »
I just stumbled onto a youtube video about jumpstarter overrides. While I knew about them and why you need them, I never really paid attention to them, nor knew off the top of my head how to do it on mine.

If you're not familiar, modern "smart" jumpstarters will not activate if the battery you are trying to jump has less than 2ish volts in it. Which can kind of leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. Most all of them have an override though - some button or button combo you press that will turn off smart features and let you jump a really dead battery. It turns off stuff like the polarity safety check too though, so you have to not be a dummy.

Anyways, watching the video has caused me to look up the procedure for my NOCO, and I'm going to fire up the labelmaker and stick a label on my NOCO, because I know that when I need to use the feature, I will not remember, nor will I be in an area with a cell signal to hit the interwebz.

Here's how to do it on the NOCO. I think most major brands have videos or instructions on the webz.

https://youtu.be/YhyFCP8c7ME
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Jump Starter Override
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 10:14:59 AM »
I have had to jump a car with the battery disconnected before.  Be kind of annoying if it didn't work in that situation. 

At one time I used cheaper Sears Hardware batteries since a Sears Hardware was a short walk from my apartment.  Had a dead battery once.  The terminal came out of the battery when trying to set up the jump start.  I was able to disconnect the battery and get it running.  Made for an interesting drive home as the GMC S-10 blazer didn't want to stay running at base idle.  Had to keep the engine RPM's at a minimum level.  I am always thankful there are people who would help with a jump start.  I have helped others a few times.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge