Author Topic: Clathrate gun hypothesis and how the Gulf disaster could kill millions  (Read 6930 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...

Disturbing evidence is mounting that something frightening is happening deep under the waters of the Gulf of Mexico—something far worse than the BP oil gusher.

Warnings were raised as long as a year before the Deepwater Horizon disaster that the area of seabed chosen by the BP geologists might be unstable, or worse, inherently dangerous.

What makes the location that Transocean chose potentially far riskier than other potential oil deposits located at other regions of the Gulf? It can be summed up with two words: methane gas.

The same methane that makes coal mining operations hazardous and leads to horrendous mining accidents deep under the earth also can present a high level of danger to certain oil exploration ventures.

Location of Deepwater Horizon oil rig was criticized

More than 12 months ago some geologists rang the warning bell that the Deepwater Horizon exploratory rig might have been erected directly over a huge underground reservoir of methane.

Documents from several years ago indicate that the subterranean geologic formation may contain the presence of a huge methane deposit.

None other than the engineer who helped lead the team to snuff the Gulf oil fires set by Saddam Hussein to slow the advance of American troops has stated that a huge underground lake of methane gas—compressed by a pressure of 100,000 pounds per square inch (psi)—could be released by BP's drilling effort to obtain the oil deposit.

Current engineering technology cannot contain gas that is pressurized to 100,000 psi.

By some geologists' estimates the methane could be a massive 15 to 20 mile toxic and explosive bubble trapped for eons under the Gulf sea floor. In their opinion, the explosive destruction of the Deepwater Horizon wellhead was an accident just waiting to happen.

The worse case scenerio in these articles is a methane bubble bursting through the ruptured seabed causing a tsunami large enough to flood the entire state of Florida or enough methane is released to change the world climate.  :O  

http://www.helium.com/items/1866957-bp-oil-spill-methane-gulf-of-mexico

Other related info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clathrate_gun_hypothesis

http://pangea.stanford.edu/research/Oceans/GES205/methaneGeology.pdf

I'm not sure what to think about this  ???
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:17:49 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
If I suddenly stop posting...You'll know why ;)

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
If I suddenly stop posting...You'll know why ;)

ran outa beverages?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
I've heard that pressure at the well head is around 60,000PSI.

That's 15,000 feet away from the methane/oil deposit targeted by the well.

It very well could be over 100k PSI and is rupturing/venting the remaining 40kPSI through cracks in the well's pipe under the seabed.

Those two relief wells that will intersect with the damaged well could be shattered, also, if they breach into a 100kPSI environment.  You'd then have 3 vents at about 20-30kPSI each + leakage from ruptures, and as you tried to plug one of them, you just increase output pressure at the others.

Of course, even if you can't shut it down ever, you can at least harvest from a 25kPSI environment.  Right now, we're barely getting a third of the 60kPSI environment's output.

I don't think the seabed is going to suddenly lift up and get all asplodey from this, though.  We'll end up releasing the pressure from this.

Think of it this way:  Would you rather have an exploded oil rig and a bad oil spill.. but at least you lanced and bled off a major subterranean kabloomie over about 50 years... or would you rather never have experienced this problem and then a meteorite the size of a house slams into the Gulf sea bed and makes the Methane chlorate go all kabloomie all at once?  Or some other "natural" tectonic event causes it to go 'splode?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
Why don't they just say Natural Gas instead of methane? 

Don't most all oil wells have some natural gas either mixed in or above/below the oil? 

Also, methane is dangerous to miners because it creates explosive mixtures within the tunnels.  That is not the same is what is happening in the Gulf.  I guess it was more sensational to use the mine reference rather than pointing out it is the same gas I use on my stove top.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
You know, this reminds me a lot of a science-fiction book I read several decades ago . . . IIRC, a huge leak of gas from under the seabed caused a suffocating cloud of vapor that caused all kinds of trouble. (It was a lot of years ago, but I believe the gas in that story was nitrogen.)

If methane gas is actually under 100 Kpsi, it would have burst free in due course anyway - that's a LOT of pressure to contain, well, forever.  Hmmm . . . wonder how long a bubble like that would keep houses warm and power plants running?

Interestingly, I actually heard someone on TV conjecture that the oil bubbling up may be "abiotic" in nature, so the leak would never stop. So maybe dead dinosaurs and ancient plants aren't the source of all oil? And if that's the case, there may be a whole lot more of it down there than people think. Interesting thought . . . time will tell if it has any validity or is utter rubbish.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
So maybe dead dinosaurs and ancient plants aren't the source of all oil?

I'm no geologist by any stretch, but that's my guess.  I think it is a natural byproduct of the Earth's mantle and core.  Magma-poop, if you will.

That being said, I think there are millennia of the stuff built up and we are tapping the backpressure elements of it for the last 100 years.  Peak oil may be real, but I don't think there's a resultant down-swing because we drank up all the dead dinosaurs.  Just a flatline at the peak where we discovered all the convenient leak-points where the Earth vents its petroleum naturally.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
ran outa beverages?

I was actually just contemplating having an ice cold Shiner, speaking of beverages.  ;)
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Also, methane is dangerous to miners because it creates explosive mixtures within the tunnels.  That is not the same is what is happening in the Gulf. 

What?  You mean there's no air in the bottom of the well for it to mix with?

;/

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
I'm no geologist by any stretch, but that's my guess.  I think it is a natural byproduct of the Earth's mantle and core.  Magma-poop, if you will.

That being said, I think there are millennia of the stuff built up and we are tapping the backpressure elements of it for the last 100 years.  Peak oil may be real, but I don't think there's a resultant down-swing because we drank up all the dead dinosaurs.  Just a flatline at the peak where we discovered all the convenient leak-points where the Earth vents its petroleum naturally.
I'm inclined to agree.

If hydrocarbons come from dead dino's, how many were running around the moons of Saturn?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
You know, this reminds me a lot of a science-fiction book I read several decades ago . . . IIRC, a huge leak of gas from under the seabed caused a suffocating cloud of vapor that caused all kinds of trouble. (It was a lot of years ago, but I believe the gas in that story was nitrogen.)

Sounds kind of like what happened at Lake Nyos:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Nyos

Or the theory that gas hydrate releases on the seabed cause a sudden upwelling of foam that causes ships to sink if they are trapped in the foam surge:  http://woodshole.er.usgs.gov/project-pages/hydrates/bermuda.html

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

stevelyn

• friend
I'm no geologist by any stretch, but that's my guess.  I think it is a natural byproduct of the Earth's mantle and core.  Magma-poop, if you will.That being said, I think there are millennia of the stuff built up and we are tapping the backpressure elements of it for the last 100 years.  Peak oil may be real, but I don't think there's a resultant down-swing because we drank up all the dead dinosaurs.  Just a flatline at the peak where we discovered all the convenient leak-points where the Earth vents its petroleum naturally.

That's pretty much what Jerome Corsi laid out in his book Black Gold, Stranglehold: The Myth of Scarcity and Oil Politics.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
And just how do you think the USGC is going to be able to enforce a NO SMOKING policy across the entire Gulf of Mexico if they can't even count the PFDs on a few barges?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
And just how do you think the USGC is going to be able to enforce a NO SMOKING policy across the entire Gulf of Mexico if they can't even count the PFDs on a few barges?

stay safe.
Send them back to port. All of them. Everything.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
A cleansing *expletive deleted*che for the South? :laugh:

I think this is right up there with the supervolcano of the West or the bear stories they tell in Alaska, ghost stories told by children to scare each other before bed.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

mtnbkr

• friend
A cleansing *expletive deleted*che for the South? :laugh:

I think this is right up there with the supervolcano of the West or the bear stories they tell in Alaska, ghost stories told by children to scare each other before bed.

Got run off from Tam's blog so now you're going to make an ass of yourself here?

Chris

Iain

• friend
I'm inclined to agree.

If hydrocarbons come from dead dino's, how many were running around the moons of Saturn?

See, that's one of those statements that sounds clever...
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Have they found evidence of hydrocarbons outside of the earth? Honest question, I have no idea.

Also, I tend to favor an abiotic view of oil production. But I think getting acceptance for the concept that "we don't really know for sure" is more inportant than quibbling over unproven theories.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Have they found evidence of hydrocarbons outside of the earth? Honest question, I have no idea.

Aren't aa few of the gas giants mostly methane, at least in their upper atmospheres?

Iain

• friend
Also, I tend to favor an abiotic view of oil production. But I think getting acceptance for the concept that "we don't really know for sure" is more inportant than quibbling over unproven theories.

Why do you tend to favour it?

It finds pretty much no favour amongst professionals in the field.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

El Tejon

• friend
Got run off from Tam's blog so now you're going to make an ass of yourself here?

Say what now?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

El Tejon

• friend
The theory is nothing more than overstatement.

I'm fairly certain that overstatement is necessary for science today.  (I think it is tied into the funding or such).