Author Topic: 1911 gunsmith recommendations in Chicagoland?  (Read 992 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
1911 gunsmith recommendations in Chicagoland?
« on: May 07, 2012, 09:48:31 AM »
I have a Springfield TRP that was my primary shooter when I used to shoot a lot, have run over 40k rounds through it.

Over the years I have replaced all the springs, the firing pin and the extractor as they broke or wore out. Early on I replaced the mainspring housing getting rid of the ILS and eliminated the full length guide rod for ease of breakdown.

Currently the grip safety doesn't work, it is peened and no longer locks out the trigger. The extractor is actually a series 80 extractor and isn't flush against the slide at the back of the gun. The finish has held up well enough but looks used hard. The front site is a kitchen table booger job I did to raise the POI. It had the dreaded Springer shooting low syndrome that was common when I bought it.

I was going to send it to Springfield and have them upgrade the sear and hammer to the non mim Professional parts (although the OEM mim hammer and sear have held up fine!). I'm not sure what the round count is where that stuff should be replaced is, if it even needs replacing. Respringing the gun at this point would make sense to me also.

Have them replace the grip safety, maybe under their warranty?   

Replace the boogered front site and refinish the gun in Black T.

There are no time constraints. I'm wondering if anyone knows a smith in Chicagoland that does that kind of custom work? Otherwise I'll send it to the factory custom shop.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: 1911 gunsmith recommendations in Chicagoland?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 10:09:05 AM »
Guns in Chicago? Quick call FBITSATFEIEIO!

Sorry, can't help. You might check http://forum.m1911.org/forums.php
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 05:12:35 PM »
Ron,

No help on a gunsmith in Chicago, but I can give a thumbs up to the Springfield shop if you decide to use them. I also had the shooting low thing (we must have got our TRPs around the same time) and sent it back to them instead of filing on the tritium sight. They had it back to me with a new front sight within a week. Don't know if they still have the same quick turnaround, but work was done well.

Otherwise you might check one of the Chino Valley, AZ 1911 smiths. It seems a boatload of them moved down there some years back, so there's quite a few top notch guys to choose from. The wait might be kinda long though. I used Don Williams after Ted Yost turned me down because he was too busy (he recommended Williams), and Don had the gun I sent him for around 8 months or so.

If you decide to go to Springfield and you do the swap for Professional parts, if I'm not being too nosy, I'd be interested to hear what they're charging for that.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 05:32:23 PM »
Wish I could help.  I can ask around and let you know.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 08:55:10 AM »
Thanks guys, I've always heard good things about the Springfield custom shop, maybe i should stick with them. Thought I would spend my money a little more local if there was anyone worthwhile around here.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 02:37:30 PM »
Got this from my buddy Nick:

Union Arms in Berwyn, IL.
6340 w. 26th St.
Berwyn, IL. 60402
708-317-5157

Ask for Matt. Tell him Nick Drakulich referred you.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »
The American Pistolsmiths Guild website http://www.americanpistol.com/guild_members_state_list.php lists several Illinois smiths, including two I've read about, Dave Stagg and Marc Krebs. Springfield Armory's Custom Shop also lists several members.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch