Author Topic: Netbook and 22'' Acer LCD  (Read 1078 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Netbook and 22'' Acer LCD
« on: December 11, 2012, 06:21:54 PM »
My Netbook is running Win 7 starter.

When I hook up my monitor I can get an image on both the Netbook and monitor at the netbook max resolution.

When I turn off the Netbook image it flips my image 90 degrees (portrait?) on the monitor and but is displaying at a higher resolution.

It is set at landscape so why it flips is a mystery.

I have a program I need to run that requires higher resolution than the netbook screen provides. My thought was to turn the screen off, run the monitor at the higher resolution to run my program.

Any thoughts on what to do?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 06:25:29 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Netbook and 22'' Acer LCD
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 07:27:16 PM »
Detcord.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 10:27:21 PM »
Turn your external monitor 90 degrees to the right.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 11:53:12 AM »
Most netbooks run an Intel Atom processor, and have Intel graphics chips.

Under your resolution properties, click the "advanced settings" hyperlink.  You'll get a multi-tabbed configuration windows form.  Look for a proprietary tag for your graphics driver... I have one that says "Inte(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile."  There is a great big button that says Graphics Properties.  Click that, and you get a custom Intel application specific to Intel driver properties that may or may not be common to other graphics cards.  There's an option in here, for me, for display rotation.  I can "Rotate to Normal", or 90/180/270 degrees.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 05:39:26 PM »
Thanks AZ, I didn't realize that was a tab. I clicked all the tabs under it but not the one on top.

Unfortunately I don't have all the options you do, my highest resolution to choose for the monitor is 1024x600. No option to rotate ether. Maybe later I'll see if I can track down a driver update, sometimes you gain functionality with updates.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 08:29:33 AM »
Netbooks don't have a lot of video umph.

Try setting it to a lower resolution like 640x480
Plug in the external monitor
Then increase the Rez

The 22 is a different aspect ratio than the netbook fer sure

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 09:41:56 AM »
Netbooks don't have a lot of video umph.

Truthiness.

However...

When I first got my ASUS eeePC Netbook, I ran Ubuntu on it.  When I would plug in my 19" LCD into the external jack, Ubuntu would only run the thing at the same resolution as the main display, 1024x600 IIRC.  However, I put Windows on it and appropriate Intel drivers, I could run the 19" LCD up to 1280x1024 (its native max resolution).

I've never plugged the netbook into my 24" widescreen LCD (1920x1200) but I bet it could do it at least at 16 bit color, maybe even 24 bit.  I can't tell the difference between 24 bit and 32 bit color anyways.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 10:19:36 AM »
Thanks guys, I updated the drivers and still am only getting 1024 x 600 as my max resolution when I hit the "List all modes" tab.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 10:46:35 AM »
I'm currently sitting at a Lenovo ThinkPad T500 with Intel driver and 24" external monitor, and when I click "list all modes" under the advanced properties, I see 1280x800 as my supposed max resolution... but I'm running that 24" monitor at 1920x1200.

I went back to the main screen resolution page, and highlighted the 2nd monitor (the external 24" LCD).  Then hit advanced settings again.

Now I see under advanced properties, when I list all modes, 1920x1200.

--Lysander Spooner

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 11:35:52 AM »
I'm going to go and poke around some more and see if I'm missing something still.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »
If I use Windows to switch to monitor only I don't get the higher resolution.

When I went to the driver tab and switched to "single display" it auto configured to my monitor! WooHoo! 

Thanks Az!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 11:54:59 AM »
You're welcome... I'm surprised it's such a PITA to configure an external monitor with an Intel driver on that netbook.  Obviously the hardware oomph is there to do the task, they just neglected to write the correct hooks into the driver for windows to do it seamlessly via its basic screen resolution interface.
--Lysander Spooner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 09:39:24 PM »
If there's not enough hardware on the netbook to properly drive a big LCD monitor at it's native resolution (hint, hint)...

Get a USB monitor adapter.  I have one for the second monitor of an embedded system running a CMM at work, and it does a great job.

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-BVU195-Adapter-DisplayLink-Chipset/dp/B002GHBW4S

I've also bought docking stations for the Dell Latitude notebooks at home, some have slots for dedicated external video cards.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"