Author Topic: Camping with a cpap machine  (Read 1584 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Camping with a cpap machine
« on: June 28, 2015, 09:32:45 AM »
I seem to recall a thread about this but when I searched I only got hits in other threads about cpap machines, not camping specific.

Friend of the family wants to go camping and was asking me how to power his machine for a weekend of car camping.

What do you guys use to power your machines?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Camping with a cpap machine
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 09:41:30 AM »
Friend of the family wants to go camping and was asking me how to power his machine for a weekend of car camping.

Campground or just like going out into the boonies with no service/facilities?

There are several possible solutions for the latter- battery packs specifically for CPAP machines, jump packs, deep cycle batteries. http://canvascampers.com/index.php?topic=805.0

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:54:04 AM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 09:43:34 AM »
There are many state and national parks that have power, that would be my first suggestion.  
Just a random state park I selected from the list here in Texas
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/lake-brownwood/fees-facilities/campsites
Campsites with Water and Electricity (Tent)

Number of Sites: 9 People per Site: 8

These sites are for tents only and are located in the Comanche Trails area. Sites have a picnic table, grill, and 20/30 amp plug.

Picnic table
    Outdoor grill
    20 amp hookup
    30 amp hookup

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 10:08:33 AM »
Buddy of mine brings his CPAP to deer camp.  He runs it off a 12v deep cycle battery.  The battery normally has no issue lasting 2-4 nights in winter weather.

Chris

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 10:13:14 AM »
Buddy of mine brings his CPAP to deer camp.  He runs it off a 12v deep cycle battery.  The battery normally has no issue lasting 2-4 nights in winter weather.

Chris

Does he use an inverter or does it run on 12vdc also?

My impression was there is no electrical service where they are going.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 10:16:12 AM »
Does he use an inverter or does it run on 12vdc also?

My impression was there is no electrical service where they are going.

IIRC, the CPAP uses 12v.  The AC wall-wart probably converts 120v AC to 12v DC output (pretty standard actually, check your output statements on random wall-warts around the house).  He just wired up a new plug to a set of alligator clips. 

Chris

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 10:19:19 AM »
I'm going to have to call him and ask him for more details.

Sounds like this should be pretty easy for him to set up.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 11:34:42 AM »
My cpap requires 24v dc.  My first pass solution is walmarts biggest deep cycle battery and a big power inverter for 12vdc to 110v ac.  Plug in cpap power supply less water bath dealie.

Really need to rig up a 12v to 24v transformer to increase efficiency.

I use a walmart car battery charger to recharge the deep cycle battery.

Even my first pass solution works great for two nights.

For our backpack camping trip in and out of the grand canyon i will buy the h8gh dollar lithium battery.  Only need one night.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 12:18:53 PM »
What about two smaller 12 v deep cycle? What's the total Watt hours involved? If in around 15 you could go with these;
http://www.batteriesplus.com/product_search/30299-Power-Sonic-12V-18AH-AGM-Battery-W_--dot250-Terminal-DASH--DASH-PS--12180F2.aspx

I use these in Magloc/ Access control systems

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 01:57:51 PM »
Indeed, rather than trying to go with a 12-24 VDC transformer system, two 12V batteries seems the most logical solution.

Depending on how fancy you want to be:
Hook into series to power unit.  Charge individually
Switch to parallel when charging, so you're charging them at the same time.
3.  Really fancy:  Use a few diodes so the batteries are in series when providing power, in parallel when being charged. I think 3 would be sufficient.  Note: This is using different terminals for charging and supplying power.  With 5 you should be able to use the same terminals for 'everything'.