Main Forums > The Roundtable

Anxiety and insomnia

(1/3) > >>

Perd Hapley:
Can't sleep tonight; or this morning, I should say.  It's almost 2 am here, and I start work at 8.  I can never sleep when I'm worried about stuff, which is a lot of the time.  What to do?

280plus:
Have you tried a mallet on the back of your skull?

The Rabbi:
My advice to you, is to start drinking heavily.

Actually I find if I exercise in the evening, something to really get me worn out (and at my age/condition that isnt hard) then I dont have trouble with anxiety.

meinbruder:

--- Quote from: fistful ---Can't sleep tonight; or this morning, I should say.  It's almost 2 am here, and I start work at 8.  I can never sleep when I'm worried about stuff, which is a lot of the time.  What to do?You can try Valerian Root; it's an herbal remedy I've used for years.  Its been described as eighteenth century Valium.  I used it for back pain, and as a sleep aid, without any side affects for a number of years.  My wife complains about hangover but Ive never been bothered by it.  I took a 1,000mg equivalent as a dose so its not really much stronger than a couple of extra strength OTC headache pills.
Mike

}:)>

Monkeyleg:
fistful, I'm really sorry you're going through this at such a young age (you are young, aren't you?).

Everybody from my mother to my shrink to my surgeon has recommended all sorts of remedies and tricks. (I particularly liked the comment from the surgeon who did microscopic surgery on my inner ear last Decmeber; he said that lack of sleep was an "old man's problem;" I then asked him why he was doing microscopic surgery on me when he hadn't slept all night).

Anywho, my shrink got it right when he said that the trick to falling asleep is to "get stupid."

Get all serious thoughts out of your head.

Think about something mindless. Count from 1000 backwards. Doesn't work for me, though. I've counted from 10,000 backwards and still been awake.

The doc's have said that I  should get up and do something. So, I've tried posting on this forum late at night, as well as on THR and TFL. The quality of the posts are Exhibit A to dispute the doctors' recommendations.

Fistful, I've been going through the lack of sleep syndrome for probably five years. I go for sometimes a month with little or no sleep.

Best advice I can give you? Stay in bed, try to sleep, and take whatever sleep you get as a "gimmee."

Even lying in bed while being awake is giving you rest.

Go to a shrink, and learn self-hypnosis. (Seriously, it can work).

What is my best solution? When my wife makes a basic meal like beef roast and mashed potatoes. The "carb dump" puts me asleep almost immediately.

Believe me, I know what  you're going through. At 2 am my mind  is going in 150 different directions. It's near impossible to shut  it off.

Next bit of advice: go to bed every night at the same time. Doesn't matter if you fall asleep or not. You need to get your body and mind on a sleep timeclock. Any disruption of that timeclock will disrupt your sleep patterns.

Good luck with it, my friend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version