Author Topic: Propertyroom.com  (Read 2690 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Propertyroom.com
« on: June 29, 2009, 06:15:58 PM »
http://www.propertyroom.com/

Just read about this today, as the local PD starts using them. Apparently instead of holding their own auctions, police depts are sending it to this place that auctions it online and splits the proceeds with the PD. Interesting concept; anyone heard of this?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Propertyroom.com
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 06:20:55 PM »
Should I even bother to ask if there are any firearms or knives?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 06:21:59 PM »
Doesn't appear to be. I would imagine the PD would still sell those at local auction, if they ever did in the first place.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 06:47:16 PM »
Propertyroom.com is pretty popular with another forum I visit. Never bought anything myself but have read alot of good feedback.
To me, the savings on cost don't justify buying anything electrical from there since it's potentially used and abused.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 07:51:44 PM »
Seems like it may be a good place to get a vehicle.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 08:00:10 PM »

Sweet, I can restock my 'gift box'.

I keep a lockbox handy with prewrapped gifts (coded for reference), blank cards, pens, et al.  When, not if, I forget an important date or event, I can say I didn't forget, I merely hid the gift...
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 08:24:56 PM »
That is the awesomest idea ever, Rev.  I am going to steal it.

When/ if I ever get a job.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 08:31:49 PM »
This is so tempting if I didn't live on the other side of the country: http://www.propertyroom.com/ItemDetails.aspx?l=6762476

Awesome deals on mountain bikes too.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 10:30:13 PM »

When/ if I ever get a job.

No.  It is the second most awesomest idea.  I shall betray a deep, dark secret.  Normally it is reserved only for those that have mastered the dark arts of crypto.  But you have an honest face, so I shall trust you with it.  Guard it with your life.  ;)

The most awesomest idea is to optimized quasi-random operand conditioning.  What is that?  Either madness or genius.  You can do it on paper or automate it.   The point is to give a random gift.  Completely without reason.   Ah, but you have to use pseudorandomness for the full effect.  No more often than 16 days and no less than every 36 days. 

If one was so inclined (and lazy), you could generate a set of random numbers between 0 and 20, add 16.  Then plug it into a reminder service or calendar software.  When you get a reminder, you give a random gift.

For accurate randomness of gifts, I recommend categorizing them.  Use another random numbers seed to select the category.  And another random number seed to select the item from the category.   

Now atmospheric noise is the NSA gold standard recommended source of randomness, but you can find your own random number generator.  Just make sure it's really random, or you're using poor cryptological techniques and that'd make a crypto analysist sad. 

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 11:48:28 PM »

Good, good...  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 03:02:02 AM »
Because we needed another means to highlight the unconstitutional seizure of property.  The old ways weren't sexy enough.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 06:20:07 AM »
Should I even bother to ask if there are any firearms or knives?

No....but I did find this.....

http://www.propertyroom.com/ItemDetails.aspx?l=6759900

You could probably turn a tidy profit at the next gun show or local gunsmith...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 01:11:06 PM »
Because we needed another means to highlight the unconstitutional seizure of property.  The old ways weren't sexy enough.

Some is most likely the result of bad seizures. But some is most likely legitimate.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 02:44:29 PM »
Wish I had money in teh bank.  Totally need a 360 controller.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 08:07:30 PM »

We've been doing it for a while.  Stock up when there's a clearance somewhere or a great deal at Woot, then give as needed.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 10:32:18 PM »

Gotta remind the Folk who's in charge or they might start getting dangerous ideas.