Author Topic: Regressing towards dependence  (Read 816 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Regressing towards dependence
« on: November 12, 2015, 09:39:42 AM »
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/11/record-share-of-young-women-are-living-with-their-parents-relatives/

(Of course men are also staying at home more, but who cares! It's all about TEH WYMYNZES!)

There's analysis at the link.

And though they make good points as to causes: later marriage, high unemployment, etc... all of which might explain the slow increase from the 1960s, they miss the glaring correlation for the abrupt increase since 2000.

The housing bubble. Massively increase housing costs (which will also translate into higher rents), and you make it that much harder for people starting out in life.

Good job, Fed.gov. Force banks to make loans to people who can't afford them and create the housing bubble, (The Fed and Fanny and Freddie are of course large players in this), crash the economy, build up massive debt, AND delay independence (and maturity) for young people.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Regressing towards dependence
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 09:19:44 AM »
Good job, Fed.gov. Force banks to make loans to people who can't afford them and create the housing bubble, (The Fed and Fanny and Freddie are of course large players in this), crash the economy, build up massive debt, AND delay independence (and maturity) for young people.

Pretty much agree with that.

Why is it that so much do-goodism turns out so bad?

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 10:31:49 AM »
*expletive deleted*ck the system.
It was only 2 generations ago that multiple generations living under the same roof was common.  I always thought my job as a Dad was to make sute kids are able to leave the nest.... I've thought really hard about this andcome to the conclusion to discourage the kids from getting on the consumer/corporate hamster wheel.
I worked really hard to get what I have, yet I fully beholden to one corpoation to pay a mortgage and another coporation to make the money to satisfy the first. Its all bullshit, its not the freest way to live.
This is why I'm pushing self-sufficiency, and freer lives for them. If. A side effect of this is a closer and stronger family, all the better. Its one of my ways of giving the finger to a lot of people who would prefer to enslave my kids with debt.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 12:10:59 PM »
Well, we wouldn't want to send the women to college or live on their own without a chaperon and who can afford a chaperon nowadays? 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 12:16:02 PM »
I've seen the inevitable result of this one quite a bit now that I'm single again; 30-45 year old women who went straight from daddy taking care of everything to having a husband that took care of everything, and now they're utterly lost at the concept of paying all the bills every month, changing a tire, even replacing a light bulb in one case.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 12:18:19 PM »

I'm beginning to suspect that this was the desired outcome.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 12:18:34 PM »
I've seen the inevitable result of this one quite a bit now that I'm single again; 30-45 year old women who went straight from daddy taking care of everything to having a husband that took care of everything, and now they're utterly lost at the concept of paying all the bills every month, changing a tire, even replacing a light bulb in one case.

There are plenty of those that come directly out of college- overeducated idiots, and its not just the women, not by a long stretch.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 02:22:25 PM »

siso =|