Author Topic: SpaceX News  (Read 133668 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: SpaceX News
« Reply #1975 on: February 09, 2023, 04:17:44 PM »
Fired
No Boom
No word yet if it was all 33
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1976 on: February 09, 2023, 04:19:00 PM »
That was really cool!  Scared the crap out of a ton of birds.  May have fried a few.

Think camera perspective made it look like they were a lot closer than they really were
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1977 on: February 09, 2023, 04:22:11 PM »
Only 31 engines fired according to the discussion on the NSF channel.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1978 on: February 09, 2023, 04:22:41 PM »
Elon Musk
@elonmusk
·
2m
Team turned off 1 engine just before start & 1 stopped itself, so 31 engines fired overall.

But still enough engines to reach orbit!
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1979 on: February 09, 2023, 04:27:17 PM »
I wonder if the one engine that shut itself off automatically was the opposite number of the one the teams shut down?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1980 on: February 09, 2023, 06:32:08 PM »
Views from drone of Booster 7's static fire test
https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1623812763415093249
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1981 on: February 09, 2023, 08:05:41 PM »
Now the big question is, how badly did the acoustic shock damage anything on the rocket or GSE, and will they have to revert to conventional deluge?

I'm very interested to see how the Fondag stood up compared to previous concretes on lesser static fires.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1982 on: February 09, 2023, 08:10:33 PM »
and will they have to revert to conventional deluge?

The plumbing for a deluge system was delivered a week or so ago just not installed yet.
The video I posted a link to in #1957 shows the parts.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 08:23:31 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1983 on: February 11, 2023, 08:18:46 AM »
SpaceX announced the test produced 7.9 millions lbs of thrust which would mean each engine was throttled to ~50%
Beats the Saturn 5 by a touch (7.8) but still short of SLS (8.8?) & N1 (10)

I suspect they're waiting for the deluge system to be installed before going higher.

Lots of updates in the video

This week there’s plenty of great Starship related updates across the board. Especially from Starbase Texas. As the title says, SpaceX Breaks New Ground with Epic Static Fire. And heck yes they did!  But how powerful was it really? Yes... diving right into that! Along with visiting Cape Canaveral again with Greg Scott. Falcon 9 is launching more than just Starlink satellites again this week. We’ll also take a look at International Space Station resupply and what to expect from the upcoming Crew-6 mission. A last minute change of plans for the next lunar landing and a bunch more.
SpaceX Breaks New Ground with Epic Static Fire: But how powerful was it really?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLDNSEPme7E
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 08:48:20 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1984 on: February 12, 2023, 11:16:56 AM »
What appears to be the expendable? ver of SS move to the launch area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJRzQsLZGg
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 11:29:38 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1985 on: February 12, 2023, 11:23:00 AM »
Last night

🔴 SpaceX Breaks Pad Turnaround Record on Starlink 5-4 Mission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMGqVWl9nyU
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1986 on: February 12, 2023, 03:52:02 PM »
Last night

🔴 SpaceX Breaks Pad Turnaround Record on Starlink 5-4 Mission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMGqVWl9nyU
The rocket passing through that low level cloud layer is very cool looking.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1987 on: February 12, 2023, 06:28:59 PM »
From 2015

Jeff Bezos
@JeffBezos
Congrats @SpaceX
 on landing Falcon's suborbital booster stage.  Welcome to the club!
8:49 PM · Dec 21, 2015

Welcome to the club  :rofl:
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1988 on: February 13, 2023, 11:23:06 AM »
Another Russian spacecraft springs a leak
Same system that sprung a leak on another a couple of months ago.

Russian Progress cargo craft at space station springs a leak
https://www.space.com/russia-progress-82-cargo-spacecraft-leak
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1989 on: February 17, 2023, 01:40:50 PM »
SpaceX is targeting Friday, February 17 at 11:12 a.m. PT (19:12 UTC) for a Falcon 9 launch of 51 Starlink satellites to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 4 East (SLC-4E) at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California. If needed, a backup opportunity is available on Saturday, February 18 at 10:58 a.m. PT (18:58 UTC).

The first stage booster supporting this mission previously launched Sentinel-6 Michael Freilich, DART, and six Starlink missions. Following stage separation, Falcon 9’s first stage will land on the Of Course I Still Love You droneship stationed in the Pacific Ocean.

A live webcast of this mission will begin about five minutes prior to liftoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JILQ2qe-cjI
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1990 on: February 26, 2023, 09:23:17 PM »
SpaceX and NASA are targeting no earlier than Monday, February 27 for Falcon 9’s launch of Dragon’s sixth operational human spaceflight mission (Crew-6) to the International Space Station from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The instantaneous launch window is at 1:45 a.m. ET (6:45 UTC), with a backup opportunity available on Tuesday, February 28 at 1:22 a.m. ET (6:22 UTC).

Crew-6 Mission | Launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lu344WNUM4

NASA Space Flight
Goes live at 22:00

SpaceX & NASA Launch Crew-6 to Space Station
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv16QyIyauY
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 09:48:36 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1991 on: February 27, 2023, 01:58:25 AM »
Scrub
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1992 on: February 27, 2023, 09:57:02 AM »
Ignition system on the ground.

Technical issue scrubs SpaceX commercial crew launch
https://spacenews.com/technical-issue-scrubs-spacex-commercial-crew-launch/
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1993 on: February 27, 2023, 07:26:37 PM »
SpaceX is targeting Monday, February 27 at 6:13 p.m. ET for a Falcon 9 launch of 21 second-generation Starlink satellites to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida. If needed, a backup opportunity is available on Tuesday, February 28 at 1:49 p.m. ET (18:49 UTC).

Starlink Mission
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe4S-q_gQaU
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1994 on: February 27, 2023, 09:21:51 PM »
SpaceX now targeting early Thursday for Crew-6 astronaut launch
https://www.space.com/spacex-crew-6-astronaut-launch-march-2

Liftoff is tentatively scheduled for 12:34 a.m. ET on Thursday (March 2).
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1995 on: March 01, 2023, 07:37:17 PM »
Falcon 9 is launching the Crew-6 mission to the Space Station for NASA. Liftoff is scheduled for 12:34 AM EST (05:34 UTC) from LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida. The first stage is B1078-1, which will attempt a landing on Just Read the Instructions.

SpaceX & NASA Launch of Crew-6 to Space Station
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYujVh5LoN0
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1996 on: March 03, 2023, 01:28:32 PM »
SpaceX is targeting Friday, March 3 at 10:38 a.m. PT (18:38 UTC) for a Falcon 9 launch of 51 Starlink satellites to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 4 East (SLC-4E) at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California.

The first stage booster supporting this mission previously launched Crew-1, Crew-2, SXM-8, CRS-23, IXPE, Transporter-4, Transporter-5, Globalstar FM15, ISI EROS C-3 and two Starlink missions. Following stage separation, Falcon 9’s first stage will land on the Of Course I Still Love You droneship stationed in the Pacific Ocean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAkApUbevaA
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #1997 on: March 03, 2023, 06:13:03 PM »
Remember when I predicted that Jeff Who would give the Amazon Treatment* to United Launch Alliance?  Specifically I predicted he would have Blown Orifice stall the engine delivery thus tanking ULA and making them ripe for a cheap buyout.

Looking like the first steps towards that are happening.  ULA up for sale now. 

*Bring in outside talent, have china copy their *expletive deleted*it, undercut outside talent by only advertising the cheap chinese knockoff at half the price, independent talent goes out of business.  Basically amazon just outright steals other people's market research and product development.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1998 on: March 03, 2023, 06:17:38 PM »
Remember when I predicted that Jeff Who would give the Amazon Treatment* to United Launch Alliance?  Specifically I predicted he would have Blown Orifice stall the engine delivery thus tanking ULA and making them ripe for a cheap buyout.

Looking like the first steps towards that are happening.  ULA up for sale now. 

*Bring in outside talent, have china copy their *expletive deleted*it, undercut outside talent by only advertising the cheap chinese knockoff at half the price, independent talent goes out of business.  Basically amazon just outright steals other people's market research and product development.

Wouldn't put that pass Jeff
I saw rumors ULA could be going up for sale but haven't seen confirmation yet.

Amazon ain't doing so hot themselves here lately

Endangered Amazon! Web shopping giant PAUSES construction at huge new HQ2 near DC as bosses continue with deepest ever job cuts
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11817365/Amazon-pauses-construction-huge-new-HQ2-near-DC.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #1999 on: March 03, 2023, 06:42:27 PM »
Yeah, I've been following that too.

Problem here is, BO does not have a proven engine in the BE-4 given the fact that it has taken them 5+ years to deliver 2 of the gorram things to ULA.  And ULA's Vulcan integration tests went on hold after an overpressure event in the LOX turbopump on one of the engines.

Every second that BO screws around with ULA, sabotaging them either accidentally or deliberately, lets SpaceX get that much further ahead on the Starlink constellation.  Amazon needs to launch THOUSANDS of satellites to not only catch up with Starlink, but to maintain rights to the radio spectrum they have claimed and orbits they have plotted.  The dozen ULA launches they have booked thus far is not even a quarter of what they need to complete their shell.

I can see Amazon buying ULA (not BO... Amazon).  They have a satellite groundstation/comms business sector already.  By buying ULA, they can work a more sweetheart deal with BO to get engines for a far lower price than ULA was able to do so before, which lowers the cost of each disposable launch.  I've also always thought that Vulcan was a stupid rocket; Every configuration needs an expensive GEM-63XL SRB booster or five.  There's plenty of room on the base of the rocket to put three, four, or maybe even five BE-4 engines down there rather than only the two that are spec'ed now.  This lowers your outlay to Northrop Grumman for every launch.  Lighter launches need no SRB's at all, and heavier ones might need a max of 2 or 3.  Stretch the first stage tanks by an equivalent amount of mass as the SRB's saved.  Vulcan is supposed to be designed to separate the engines from the tanks after MECO, and parachute the engines for helicopter recovery.  Push forward with that, proving reuse reliability of the BE-4 engine until New Glenn is finally completed and can land the first stage whole.

I'm going to be really interested to see what happens to Tory Bruno through this.  I hope for one of two outcomes... he goes to Lockheed Martin and their Skunkworks boys come out with something that bitchslaps old Jeff Who's face and brings LockMart back into the rocket launch business, or he goes to SpaceX and leads an industry standardization push for satellite buses and payload adapters, destroying much of the bespoke nature of so many satellites that drives up the cost of orbital operations.  I'd hate to see him go work for BO.  They don't deserve him.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!