Author Topic: Redneck Stonehenge  (Read 6822 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Redneck Stonehenge
« on: August 05, 2008, 12:17:49 PM »
Now this is the way to deal with bitchy neighbors:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,397625,00.html

HOOPER, Utah   A farmer has erected a fence in his backyard made of three old cars sticking up in the air to send a message to new neighbors that he can do whatever he wants on his farm.

"This is just a fun way for me to say, 'Hey boys, I'm still here,'" said Rhett Davis. "This is my redneck Stonehenge."

Davis came up with the idea after neighbors who recently moved into homes next to his hayfield complained about his farm.

"The people who bought the homes say, 'Well, we love looking into your yard and seeing the horses and the cattle, but we don't like the flies, and we don't like the mosquitoes,' and when I cut my field to bale it, they say, 'We don't like the dust in the air,'" Davis said.

Davis said he offered to pay half the cost of a fence between his property and the others and to build it. He said his neighbors declined the offer, saying it would block their view.

Neighbors declined to comment to the Standard-Examiner of Ogden.

Davis said after the neighbors declined his offer, he used a backhoe to dig three large holes on the edge of his property, then took three cars that had competed in demolition derbies and planted them nose-first into the ground.

Maybe it should be called "Carhenge" Smiley

I think that I would have planted four cars - with one of the middle ones quite a bit taller than the other three Wink

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Redneck Stonehenge
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 12:20:50 PM »
I love it, a great FU to the neighbors with the gall to complain about dust and flies when they live next to a farm.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 12:23:59 PM »
"The people who bought the homes say, 'Well, we love looking into your yard and seeing the horses and the cattle, but we don't like the flies, and we don't like the mosquitoes,' and when I cut my field to bale it, they say, 'We don't like the dust in the air,'" Davis said.

I didn't know city folks were so dumb.  They are blaming him for the fact that there are flies and mosquitoes in the area?  Or is it that they can actually see bugs in his yard, and that bothers them? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 12:29:09 PM »

I didn't know city folks were so dumb.  They are blaming him for the fact that there are flies and mosquitoes in the area?  Or is it that they can actually see bugs in his yard, and that bothers them? 

Here, the Mass invaders call the police when they hear gunfire in the woods during hunting season.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 12:33:13 PM »

Some of them really are that dumb  rolleyes

There's a woman in our neighborhood that told her neighbor that he could not mow the sagebrush on a parcel adjoining her land, because it would "destroy wildlife habitat" or some such nonsense.  He basically just laughed at her and told her that it was his land and he could do whatever he wanted with it.  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 12:34:29 PM »
Oddly, I'm on the other side of this. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 12:35:47 PM »
Tejon, I think it's kind of dumb myself.

Tallpine,

I don't know much about ranching, but isn't "destroy wildlife habitat" rather the point?  He's cutting it down to make it more suitable for himself or his animals/crops, isn't he? 

Also makes you wonder if the lady who said that lives in a large, modern home, with a drive-way, or in a wiki-up surrounded by sage.   cheesy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 12:46:12 PM »
Also makes you wonder if the lady who said that lives in a large, modern home, with a drive-way, or in a wiki-up surrounded by sage.

Ha!  grin  So funny (strange) that you should mention that!

She bought a place with a nice little house already on it, and then spent hundreds of thousands of dollars building this huge thing up on the hill.  rolleyes

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 01:04:50 PM »
we had a lady who complained about the neighbor who ran a concrete company for 10 years on the 20 acres next to her 1 acre that she built on. she sucessfully dislodeged his concrete company . ne brought in 60 hjogs  fed em next to her fence. she lasted till the end of summer and sold pout. he sold the hogs the day she moved out. and it turns out they were kin
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 01:06:21 PM »
She was kin to the hogs?   shocked    smiley

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 01:10:17 PM »
to the hogs?  maybe  but she was definitly his exwifes sister
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 01:17:30 PM »
That's precisely why Colorado passed the "Right to Farm" bill a few years ago.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 01:28:20 PM »
That's precisely why Colorado passed the "Right to Farm" bill a few years ago.

When I bought my place in the country here in Michigan, I had to sign a "Right to Farm" agreement before I could close the deal. I don't have any farms within site, but once in a while at night, if the wind is right, I can hear and smell the cows on a farm about a half mile past the woods and swamp. grin
Doesn't bother me at all.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 02:42:30 PM »
I particularly love the part where they demand that his land provide a lovely view for them--so long as he doesn't conduct any farming operations on the farm they like to look at.

Weird.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 03:18:43 PM »

And there's folks on here that think it's okay to give dumb SOBs like these power in an HOA.

we had a lady who complained about the neighbor who ran a concrete company for 10 years on the 20 acres next to her 1 acre that she built on. she sucessfully dislodeged his concrete company . ne brought in 60 hjogs  fed em next to her fence. she lasted till the end of summer and sold pout. he sold the hogs the day she moved out. and it turns out they were kin

Definitely someone I would have considered paying a visit to with a jerry can and a Zippo.  angry
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 03:25:32 PM »

And there's folks on here that think it's okay to give dumb SOBs like these power in an HOA.

Huh?

Definitely someone I would have considered paying a visit to with a jerry can and a Zippo.  angry

Probably best not to say things like that in public, in writing.

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 03:58:17 PM »

we had a lady who complained about the neighbor who ran a concrete company for 10 years on the 20 acres next to her 1 acre that she built on. she sucessfully dislodeged his concrete company . ne brought in 60 hjogs  fed em next to her fence. she lasted till the end of summer and sold pout. he sold the hogs the day she moved out. and it turns out they were kin

i think slopping 60 hogs 100 feet from her house is better than a match. she was moving out he sold the hogs   made sure she knew they were sold and saw em leave before she did.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 04:57:43 PM »

So it's bad to give people in a development power over their neighbors, but if you don't like the way one of them LEGALLY USES his property, arson is all good? 

You sound an awful lot like a Paulistinian...  rolleyes

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 08:37:31 AM »
Don't like where this one's heading, particularly after the inappropriate jerry can and Zippo posting.

Closed.

Carhenge ain't nothin' new, anyways...

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"