Author Topic: Taxpayer subsidized sports stadiums  (Read 6910 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Taxpayer subsidized sports stadiums
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 11:44:41 PM »

Did I mention that there was no additional parking included with either of these projects.

Nope.

They deliberately screw the parking up around these things... so that they can jack taxes on everyone once they can make a case for public transportation.

The sports complexes were a HUGE "justification" of why we got blessed screwed with our worthless Phoenix light rail system.  
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 07:04:44 AM »
Tulsa buit a fance big *expletive deleted*ss arena downtown, sold naming rights to the Bank of Oklahoma (BOK) and now it is the BOK Center although quiet a few folks call it the bokarena.
Tulsa also just copleted a big *expletive deleted*ss baseball stadium downtown for the minor league Tulsa Oilers.
The downtown area is a special tax zone and all the businesses that "benefit" from the two operations get to pay extra taxes.

Did I mention that there was no additional parking included with either of these projects.

What is even more funny about this is that nobody wanted the arena, everybody wanted river development.  And as for the baseball stadium, the team is the Drillers by the way, Oilers is the hockey team that plays in the arena, the only reason it was built is because another town, Jenks, was going to build a new stadium on the river.  Jenks is a sub-suburb of Tulsa and the old stadium was actually still in perfect condition plus had plenty of free parking.  Now the county has an unused stadium that they don't know what to do with.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 10:13:53 AM »
These fancy new stadia will make good places to pen up the undesirables--like ourselves--who haven't seen the wonders of the brave new world of Obamaism.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 10:17:41 AM »
These fancy new stadia will make good places to pen up the undesirables--like ourselves--who haven't seen the wonders of the brave new world of Obamaism.

They aren't that large.  But they maybe able to hold all of those that vote for Obama a second time. :laugh:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

P5 Guy

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 12:07:44 PM »
What happened to corporations selling bonds or stocks to capitalize new projects?
On a tangent Progress Energy in Florida wants to raise electric rates so they, at some time in the future, can build a new nuclear power plant. If it was a good investment why wouldn't they get a flood of investors wanting in on the deal. The same goes for the Sports/Entertainment Industry, doesn't it?
If the city fathers feel that having a new place for the local ProSports team to play why don't they get together and sell bonds to finance this project.
I take umbrage with those that say the city as a whole benefit from having stadium and Pro team to play there. Ask my neighbors how they feel about the tap dancing the Mayor and the Rays. What do I get from these guys playing in town. Both The Bucs and the Rays have trouble selling out games. New stadiums will have a better draw?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 12:29:04 PM »
What happened to corporations selling bonds or stocks to capitalize new projects?
On a tangent Progress Energy in Florida wants to raise electric rates so they, at some time in the future, can build a new nuclear power plant. If it was a good investment why wouldn't they get a flood of investors wanting in on the deal. The same goes for the Sports/Entertainment Industry, doesn't it?
If the city fathers feel that having a new place for the local ProSports team to play why don't they get together and sell bonds to finance this project.
I take umbrage with those that say the city as a whole benefit from having stadium and Pro team to play there. Ask my neighbors how they feel about the tap dancing the Mayor and the Rays. What do I get from these guys playing in town. Both The Bucs and the Rays have trouble selling out games. New stadiums will have a better draw?

While were at it, what happened to the process of selling War Bonds?.... :facepalm:....Nevermind

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2011, 01:29:11 PM »
While were at it, what happened to the process of selling War Bonds Kinetic Military Action Financial Thingamajigs?.... :facepalm:....Nevermind

No wars, here.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2011, 04:41:08 PM »
What is even more funny about this is that nobody wanted the arena, everybody wanted river development.  And as for the baseball stadium, the team is the Drillers by the way, Oilers is the hockey team that plays in the arena, the only reason it was built is because another town, Jenks, was going to build a new stadium on the river.  Jenks is a sub-suburb of Tulsa and the old stadium was actually still in perfect condition plus had plenty of free parking.  Now the county has an unused stadium that they don't know what to do with.

DOH! :facepalm:
I knew that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2011, 05:02:38 PM »

I'm pretty sure the business models of professional sports organizations include dazzling the dimwitted leftwing mayors of large cities into buying them new stadiums whenever needed.

Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2011, 12:00:09 PM »

Because they are good investments only for a small circle of insiders (and interested politicians), and that means they have to play to the passions of sports fans, not sober investors.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

P5 Guy

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
I'd like to see some figures showing the benefit of having a ProSports team and stadium. The citizens of Tampa get the Bucs and a Super Bowl very 10 years or so. They are told how that helps the local businesses. I guess the Hotels and Bars for a couple of days.
St Pete hardly could get sellout attendance when the Rays went almost all the way. This year, because they need to move and have a new Ball Field without a roof they aren't going anywhere for the post season. Personally I'm going to help load the truck.
BayWalk anyone? The million Dollar Pier now needs an overhaul at 15 Million or St Pete will be a third rate town. Raise taxes to keep the tourist traps that no one goes to rpaired. NFW, sell bonds!