Author Topic: AAR: Stopped a pair of car thieves today  (Read 6100 times)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: AAR: Stopped a pair of car thieves today
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 06:48:05 PM »
I'd say in that case, no mention of the vid is made until your attorney has reviewed it. If he feels it's more hindrance than help, it disappears.

Agreed.  To do that though, means that the recording device needs to be out of sight at a minimum when teh authoritahs show up.  And there needs to be nobody to tell them that you were recording it. And nobody on the scene who ALSO recorded it and has you or your friend shown on the video recording when you said you didn't.  There was a reported incident last week of a young girl being snatched off of the sidewalk by 4 guys in a car right in front of my house in our quiet little neighborhood.  There was a small army of cops going door-to-door looking for witnesses and directly asking if we had any cameras that might have recorded the incident.  The cops know about cell cameras.  I think it's now normal procedure to ask if a recording exists.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 07:24:43 PM »
Good job.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 07:29:53 PM »
Yes, but I can do the innocent look and "I tried officer but I couldn't get it to work. I barely know how to make calls on this thing much less take pictures with it."
And if it does later turn up that I have video, well, a) show me the law that says I have to tell the truth to a cop if I haven't been mirandized, and b) "Oh, look what I found! Didn't realize I'd actually gotten it to work. Isn't that handy?"

CS&D and Monkeyleg - Told you I felt very comfortable around here.  >:D
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 07:53:43 PM »
Destroying evidence that you know is relevant to a case is a serious crime.  You can expect to be jailed (and facing an unhappy jury in relation to the event itself) should you ever knowingly delete a tape of a shooting.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Lee

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 07:56:33 PM »
Soooo.....you sort of splilled the beans on them.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 09:55:27 PM »
If things had gone rodeo the three choir boys could have destroyed the phone once they realized they were being recorded.  Now you're back to your word, their word, and unreliable eye witnesses.

For Android, and I bet other platforms have a client, Ustream has an app that will start transmitting data back to their servers as soon as the recording starts.  Works pretty good based on my very limited testing.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2011, 11:57:36 PM »
What exact Ustream app exactly? I installed it, and I'm not clear on what it's doing, or how it's supposed to work. I expected a camcorder app, or maybe it's crashing.

I promise not to duck.