Author Topic: Liberal critique of Firefly  (Read 4934 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
Re: Liberal critique of Firefly
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 07:44:44 AM »
I like The Next Generation.  I thought it had some of the best sci-fi elements of any show, movie or tv.  The collectivist philosophy is of course a turn-off.

But after watching Firefly, watching the other shows is just ... watching the shows.  With Firefly I get pulled into their world and I forget where I really am (my living room) until the credits come at the end.  Then it's "oh yeah ... it's just a tv show". 

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 12:51:02 PM »
I always liked Voyager and Enterprise, but mostly Voyager.
Never got into DS9 (ie, never watched it).
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2007, 12:52:52 PM »
Voyager was WRONG.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2007, 04:50:30 PM »
This is the first time I've seen a critic label a work of fiction set 500 years in the future as revisionist. (Revising Star Trek, perhaps?)

The guy is obviously a crank, one of the same ilk that used to spend hours trying to find some deep philosophical meaning in songs by the Beatles.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 06:47:04 PM »
It seems pretty straightforward to me.  This guy is a hardcore liberal.  The individualist anti-government themes in Firefly irk him for all the same reasons they resonate with folks like us.