Author Topic: Mikhail Kalishnikov sleeps soundly...  (Read 1109 times)

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Mikhail Kalishnikov sleeps soundly...
« on: July 07, 2007, 07:35:22 PM »
Boy another topic by me...I'm on a roll (or just really bored.)
Once again, the Digg thinger on my homepage has led me to an interesting article, this time about the AK-47 turning 60 years old.
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/07/06/ak47-birthday-070706.html
And as always, the Digg comments are interesting to read...
http://digg.com/hardware/I_sleep_sound_AK_47_inventor_says_as_rifle_turns_60

Cradling the latest model of his "creative genius" in Moscow Friday, the inventor of the AK-47 told reporters at the 60th anniversary of the world's most famous assault rifle that his conscience is clear.

"People ask, 'How can you sleep? Your weapon has killed so many people,'" 87-year-old Mikhail Kalashnikov said. "And I say, 'I sleep sound. It's the politicians who are to blame that they can't agree peacefully and resolve their problems without using arms.'"

Mikhail Kalashnikov poses with his AK-47 Nr.1, a prototype of the famous AK-47 rifle, in the Armed Forces Central Museum in Moscow on Friday. Mikhail Kalashnikov poses with his AK-47 Nr.1, a prototype of the famous AK-47 rifle, in the Armed Forces Central Museum in Moscow on Friday.
    (Misha Japaridze/Associated Press)

At the ceremony in Moscow, Russian president Vladimir Putin hailed the aging weapons designer as an icon of Russian ingenuity.

Since its creation, the AK-47  an acronym describing "Avtomat Kalashnikova," or "Kalashnikov's automatic weapon"  has been embraced as a weapon of choice for Iraqi insurgents, gangsters and troops around the world. The "47" refers to 1947, when the first models went into production and were used to equip Soviet soldiers.

According to AK-47 lore, Kalashnikov conceived of the design while laying wounded in a hospital ward near the end of the Second World War. He drafted plans in a child's notebook to make a lightweight gun that was also powerful and simple to fire.

Kalashnikov acknowledged that seeing his creation in the hands of criminals and gangsters around the world saddens him, but he said he originally concocted the AK-47 to support a worthy cause.

"I always worked to defend my fatherland from foreigners. Let all my rifles and machine guns only serve the defence of the fatherland," he said Friday.

Aside from the accolades he received in Russia for his invention, Kalashnikov received little else for the rifle. He reportedly lives on a pension in the town of Izkevsk, where the AK-47s are manufactured.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Art Eatman

• friend
Re: Mikhail Kalishnikov sleeps soundly...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 04:22:10 PM »
I don't see why he wouldn't sleep soundly.  An AK never killed anybody.  I never did see one jump up off a table and go to shooting.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 04:58:57 PM »
I dunno, Art.

I've got a webcam set up to watch my AKs and ARs when I'm away.  It's for the children, 'ya know...   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 05:00:43 PM »
Yes that's exactly the point. Smiley
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 07:25:58 PM »
It seems to me he should.  The AK design is now about sixty years old and a neighbor has not invaded Russia since its inception.  Or have I missed something?
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 08:10:39 AM »
It seems to me he should.  The AK design is now about sixty years old and a neighbor has not invaded Russia since its inception.  Or have I missed something?
That was his exact reason for inventing it.
The only thing wrong I see here is that he hasn't made all the money he deserves for creating such a great rifle.

bunni

• imfdb.org
    • Internet Movie Firearms Database
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 06:38:14 PM »
That was his exact reason for inventing it.
The only thing wrong I see here is that he hasn't made all the money he deserves for creating such a great rifle.

Yes, agreed. A rich man he isn't, at least he's garnered the respect he deserves. Plenty of inventors have had fortunes stolen from under them without receiving any credit.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 07:15:52 PM »
...I always worked to defend my fatherland from foreigners. Let all my rifles and machine guns only serve the defence of the fatherland," he said Friday...

Other than being spoken in Russian, isn't that the definition of patriotism?

If I were an American manufacturing CEO, I'd gladly give a mil a year of the company's money just to have him around to talk to. At 87, nobody should be expected to "work", but wouldn't it be great to be able to plomp onto the couch at the end of the day and say "urrrgh  ..  this production issue...!" and have him sitting there and offering advice.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 05:53:27 AM »
while laying wounded

People complain about ballots in english, I'm more worried about how the hell native speakers manage to get jobs involving writing.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 06:05:29 AM »
...I always worked to defend my fatherland from foreigners. Let all my rifles and machine guns only serve the defence of the fatherland," he said Friday...

Other than being spoken in Russian, isn't that the definition of patriotism?

If I were an American manufacturing CEO, I'd gladly give a mil a year of the company's money just to have him around to talk to. At 87, nobody should be expected to "work", but wouldn't it be great to be able to plomp onto the couch at the end of the day and say "urrrgh  ..  this production issue...!" and have him sitting there and offering advice.

He still consults for Izhmash, AFAIK. Probably why the Saiga 12 actually works so well, if he had a hand in it.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 07:53:52 AM »
I've heard that about the Saigas as well.  It's what made me want one so bad.  I haven't yet found one similar enough in looks to the original AK to strike my fancy...however I do like their shotguns. Smiley

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 08:10:28 AM »
I would expect there will be a First Model Signature Edition or something for the anniversary, but it'd probably be something only given to VIPs.

Izhmash certainly still makes combat AKs in the original configuration and semiauto variants thereof, it's just that they can't be imported into the US thanks to Clinton.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 08:25:23 AM »
Bah.  Figures.
Silly Clinton.
Hopefully I can find a good price on an SKS somewhere...