Author Topic: And yet another good guy with a gun story, not a good ending  (Read 923 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-news/passerby-in-domestic-violence-incident-now-facing-murder-charges/34305354

Cliff notes:

Good guy sees a domestic violence event unfold, stops to intervene, gets assaulted with a baseball bat, assaulter and DV victim depart the scene, good guy retrieves weapon form back pack follows assaulter and shoots 3 times, two hitting the assaulter in the back. Assaulter makes the celestial transfer, good guy gives statement and is now in local lock up facing murder charges (either 1st or 2nd degree depending on source).

Knowing when to disengage is also a very important thing to know. It is reported that the good guy took a couple of blows to the head from a baseball bat so maybe that will help his case in a diminished capacity somehow.

bob

dogmush

• friend
Re: And yet another good guy with a gun story, not a good ending
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 11:02:42 AM »
http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-news/passerby-in-domestic-violence-incident-now-facing-murder-charges/34305354

Cliff notes:

Good guy sees a domestic violence event unfold, stops to intervene, gets assaulted with a baseball bat, assaulter and DV victim depart the scene, good guy retrieves weapon form back pack follows assaulter and shoots 3 times, two hitting the assaulter in the back. Assaulter makes the celestial transfer, good guy gives statement and is now in local lock up facing murder charges (either 1st or 2nd degree depending on source).

Knowing when to disengage is also a very important thing to know. It is reported that the good guy took a couple of blows to the head from a baseball bat so maybe that will help his case in a diminished capacity somehow.

bob

That's where it all went sideways.  Like you said, gotta know when to let them walk away.

Unless the aggressor was dragging the DV victom away under duress, which the story does not imply, the shooter is up a creek.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 12:08:46 PM »
1.  He could try to claim he thought the girl was still in danger.  Not sure if that would fly unless there is something left unsaid in the article.

2.  Sounds like he should have retrieved the gun before intervening, not after. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 12:15:11 PM »
unless there is something left unsaid in the article

That is a given.

I guess he is lucky it happened here in a way, many other places it would be "Soldier murders fleeing innocent citizen by shooting him in the back". :(

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 01:11:31 PM »
^ Heh!

I wish "journalists"  were as good at untwisting events as they are at twisting them.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 02:22:59 PM »
Domestic violence is a lose-lose-lose scenario. Don't get in the middle if you can avoid it. It's a sad and extremely hazardous, screwed up situation, the victim often being a moral enabler of said violence. You cannot "save" them. Get in the middle and you will probably get it from both ends. Call the police, be a good witness.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 03:09:18 PM »
Domestic violence is a lose-lose-lose scenario. Don't get in the middle if you can avoid it. It's a sad and extremely hazardous, screwed up situation, the victim often being a moral enabler of said violence. You cannot "save" them. Get in the middle and you will probably get it from both ends. Call the police, be a good witness.

Or it might be a consensual bondage game  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 06:49:17 PM »
That's where it all went sideways.  Like you said, gotta know when to let them walk away.

Unless the aggressor was dragging the DV victom away under duress, which the story does not imply, the shooter is up a creek.

Yep.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

BobR

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 06:58:58 PM »
Or it might be a consensual bondage game  ;)

It just might be closer to the truth than you imagine!!!

<snip>

At some point he began physically assaulting her, pushing her into a fence, knocking her down, picking her up by her arms, hitting her, and pushing her down. Edward Bushnell happened by on a skateboard, saw what Poindexter was doing, and rode over to he and VB. Police say Bushnell said something to the effect of, "Hey, why don't you try picking on someone your own size, not a woman!"

<snip>

as the two were leaving, Bushnell was reaching into his backpack for a 9mm handgun, a gun for which he does have a legal concealed weapons permit.

According to Bushnell, from a distance of about 30 feet, he took aim at Poindexter's back, in a two-handed stance, and fired three times, hitting Poindexter with all three shots.

<snip>

Police showed up moments later. VB is quoted in court documents as saying "That's what we [VB and Poindexter] do! We beat each other up. That doesn't give someone the right to shoot him [Poindexter]."

The shooter will not fare well in this I am afraid. Also the advice to stay the fark away from DV on the street is a very valid statement. Unless it is beyond painfully obvious that there is a danger of loss of life I will use my cell phone only and try to be a good witness.

bob

http://www.khq.com/story/29618357/court-docs-5th-and-altamont-shooter-hit-victim-3-times-in-the-back

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 08:46:35 PM »
The local deputies here have stated in private their unofficial DV policy. Drive slow, they prefer to show up after the fight is over.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.