Author Topic: I used to think sailboaters were weak  (Read 1148 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
I used to think sailboaters were weak
« on: December 06, 2016, 01:39:15 PM »
Not anymore
https://www.facebook.com/BBCSouthToday/videos/1210821089008479/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: I used to think sailboaters were weak
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 01:41:11 PM »
RKL in

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 02:09:28 PM »
Always wanted to sail...just not on anything I could handle by myself.

That is, unless they've automated something like this to the point of being a one-man boat.

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 02:16:42 PM »
I think I would rather be the monkey in sidehack racing than sail that hard

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 02:19:22 PM »
I think I would rather be the monkey in sidehack racing than sail that hard

Not sure what a sidehack is, but that video is insane.

His keel was barely in the water and he had already reefed his sails! That wind must have been... rather swift.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 02:38:33 PM »
Sidehack racing is racing motorcycles with a sidecar. Sorta

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 02:46:37 PM »

Sidehack = Sidecar motorcycle rig. The "monkey" reference is the sidecar "rider" when a sidecar rig is raced. They are called this because... well here, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YiD5flIPF8&ab_channel=DukeVideo

They Motocross sidecars too!  [popcorn]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFpLdWzcac8&ab_channel=01Team3V

And if ya thought the motorcycle riders were insane, the monkeys are NUTS!  :facepalm:

:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

• friends
Re:
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 04:27:38 PM »
Yea I got invited to monkey at a motocross event . I said no

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 04:36:02 PM »

His keel was barely in the water and he had already reefed his sails! That wind must have been... rather swift.

28 knots, he said. That's what to us landlubbers -- about 35 MPH?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 06:11:56 PM »
Sidehack = Sidecar motorcycle rig. The "monkey" reference is the sidecar "rider" when a sidecar rig is raced. They are called this because... well here, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YiD5flIPF8&ab_channel=DukeVideo

They Motocross sidecars too!  [popcorn]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFpLdWzcac8&ab_channel=01Team3V

And if ya thought the motorcycle riders were insane, the monkeys are NUTS!  :facepalm:

:old:

Aight, so what happens if you lose your monkey, like about 20 seconds into this vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqUa0dduw9o

Well, I imagine it doesn't end well for the monkey, but does the racer have to stop to pick up his dropped monkey?  DQ'd?  or ???
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 07:20:51 PM »
28 knots, he said. That's what to us landlubbers -- about 35 MPH?

32 mph and change. I've been out in 25 knots on my little sloop and even on the little lake I sail on it gets intense.
Forecast was 18kts max but things didn't work out. Even with a reefed main and only about 50% of the jib out it was brisk. More work than I care to usually engage in but it was fun.
Those guys that race the Vendee Globe are nuts. I could handle a single handed around the world trip but I have no desire to play around in places like the roaring 40s
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 07:27:40 PM »
Well, I imagine it doesn't end well for the monkey, but does the racer have to stop to pick up his dropped monkey?  DQ'd?  or ???

Well, the rules are that both you and your monkey have to cross the finish line together for it to count, going by the testimonial of one who got to keep their 8th place finish because, while he'd fallen off the bike just before the finish line, both him and the bike crossed in the #8 spot.  Otherwise it would have been a DNC.

So, assuming the monkey isn't too bruised up to continue the race, the racer would indeed have to stop to pick up the passenger.  Or maybe circle around with the lap not counting.  Monkey calls it quits, Did Not Complete.

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 09:06:19 PM »
Video tour of boat
It's pretty impressive
https://www.facebook.com/yachtingworldmagazine/videos/1165819016834702/