Author Topic: Favorite Tequila?  (Read 4348 times)

Chas

Favorite Tequila?
« on: March 18, 2005, 05:59:02 AM »
Ok, so what is your favorite tequila? I've had friends bring back several different bottles from Mexico and they are going back again next week so it's time to restock. I've tried and liked El Jimedor, Casa Nobles and 2 others whose names escape me right now. I know the Reposado is aged from 2 - 12 months and the Anejo is aged at least 12 months. I've tried both and the Anejo is smooth enough to sip in a glass and the reposado is excellent for mixed drinks.

Any suggestion?
Chuck
Ignorance is curable, stupidity is forever...

TarpleyG

• friend
Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 06:27:15 AM »
Mount Gay..........................rum, that is.  Tequila is bath water.  YUCK!!!  [couldn't be because I got really ill on it once, could it?]

One tequila
Two tequila
Three tequila
Floor

Always loved that tee shirt...

Greg

Chas

Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 06:35:39 AM »
Been there done that. Layed off of it for 10+ yrs. Finally drank some good stuff and there is no fair comparison to what is typically available here in the states. On THR I go by the name Agavehound, tequila is made from the agave plant...

Love the stuff, but only if it's done right. No shots of Cuervo, unless it's the 1800 and even then it's a beer chaser to kill the burn. Truely good tequila is smooth and doesn't give the hangover that you'd normally associate with it. May be an acquired taste, but if so, it's no different from some people liking whiskey. Only problem with me and tequila is I shouldn't drink it unless SWMBO is nearby... :p
Chuck
Ignorance is curable, stupidity is forever...

...has left the building.

Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 09:43:18 AM »
Sauza Tres Generaciones is my favorite. I don't find tequila to be that harsh and I usually take it without a lime or chaser.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 09:44:46 AM »
Patron.. I like the Silver in a tall glass on the rocks, I like to smell it before I drink it.

Charby

edited.. I spelled the brand wrong, too much tequilla I guess...
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

middy

Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 09:50:12 AM »
Anything but Cuervo...

macavada

Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 12:03:40 PM »
Pordfidio, Herradura, Don Julio.

There is a lot of good quality tequila these days.  100% agave is a requirement ...  reposado or better.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 12:24:01 PM »
Corazon, Milagro, Chamucos, Don Jesus........stay away from Cabo Wabo; nasty stuff.

crt360

• friend
Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 12:50:07 PM »
Herradura and some stuff that came in a little round jug (I can't remember the name - something like "Hussong's") were my brands of choice, but I haven't bought any tequila in ten years, so I've pretty much forgotten what else is out there.

Nothing could be more dangerous than college freshmen and a few of those large plastic bottles of the cheap liquor store branded tequila.
For entertainment purposes only.

JAlexander

• friend
Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 05:04:49 PM »
I'm more of a bourbon guy, but some of the good ones that I recall are El Tesoro, Herradura, and Cazadores.

James

mcneill

Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 05:45:53 PM »
I must be wierd.  I like Jose Cuervo Especial.  But, I drink it rarely and then in Margaritas.

Jim
"Well, the Mexicans have a saying - What cannot be remidied, must be endured."  Barbarosa

enfield

• http://www.delightfulproducts.com
Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 02:02:07 AM »
Another vote for Herradura!
- enfield

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

uvakat

• friend
Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 04:16:59 AM »
Quote from: TarpleyG
Mount Gay..........................rum, that is.  Tequila is bath water.  YUCK!!!  [couldn't be because I got really ill on it once, could it?]One tequila
Two tequila
Three tequila
Floor

Always loved that tee shirt...

Greg
Probably... I have the same reaction off of rum though YUCK!!!!! The smell is even nausating
Nothing like a couple hundred rounds down range to make a girl feel better.  

Old Dog

Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 08:43:32 AM »
Herradura Reposado.  Kept in the freezer ...
-- Will

DigMe

Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 06:31:41 AM »
There is so much good tequila out there.  I think the best I ever had was one of Milagro's top-of-the-line premium anejos (it came in a bottle with a blown glass blue agave sculpture in the bottom and it had a sealed cork...sorry, can't remember the actual name).  It cost like 70 bucks for the bottle (which I didn't pay for of course!) and it was so smooth it made the regular Don Julio anejo that we also had taste like swill.  It was fantastic.  I like various offerings from many of the brands though.  Tequila is my favorite.

brad cook

Telperion

• friend
Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2005, 05:06:17 PM »
Rat piss!  All of it! Wink
Except for the Don Julio Anejo I tried once.  I won't touch anything less.

Ktulu

• http://www.michiganshooter.com
Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 03:28:34 AM »
I must be wierd.  I like Jose Cuervo Especial.
You're not wierd. At least I don't think so. I actually like the taste of Cuervo Especial better than 1800. I'm a big fan of tequila. The Cuervo Tradicional is pretty good and I love Patron Reposado but I'd have to say, by shear volume consumed, Cuervo Especial is the winner.
Jeff

MichiganShooter.cOm

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero

Wildalaska

• friend
Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2005, 09:09:22 AM »
Having, in my younger days, woken up in the desert in Mexico, (parked off the Highway), with an empty bottle of mezcal in the back seat, vomit all over the front of me, a raging headache, and lipstick on my undershorts, vowed never to drink tequila again.

A decision reinforced when I drove a friend to Mikey Ds one morning after a Mezcal binge, while waiting at the drive thru, he turned green, leapt out of the car and proceeded to spew, in full view of the diners eating breakfast, the contents of the previous nights debauchery

WildcleanandsoberAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

Lennyjoe

• friend
Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2005, 05:48:15 PM »
I used to drink Jose Cuervo every weekend.  On TDY's I'd sweat Cuervo while working on airplanes in the hot sun.  Those days are long gone.  No need for that pain anymore.  Now its maybe 2 beers at a social and thats it.  The 1 year tour in Korea took the drinking desire out of me.  Since my return from that 365 day drunk, I havent felt the need to drink alot anymore.

Chris

Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2005, 09:13:27 PM »
Patron. Anjeo, preferrably.

DigMe

Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2005, 07:14:33 AM »
A lot of people seem to view tequila as something you use to get drunk.  I just want to say that I love tequila and I drink it but I've never been drunk in my life and I don't ever plan on getting drunk.  Not only is it just plain dumb but it goes against my personal and spiritual morals.

brad cook

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2005, 07:20:32 AM »
"Deluxe Tequila" belongs in the same category as "National Match Grade Lorcin."  You can dress it up but you cant take it out. The only thing I like tequila in is Margaritas.  But after that I like everything that comes in a bottle.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

macavada

Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2005, 07:32:26 AM »
Quality tequila is like a good Scotch or a good sipping whiskey.  It is for enjoying and drinking slowly, not for mixing in margarita's or any other mixed drinks.

Cheaper tequila is o.k. for mixing, and that is about all, IMO.

Silver Bullet

• friend
Re: Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2006, 07:22:45 AM »
Having, in my younger days, woken up in the desert in Mexico, (parked off the Highway), with an empty bottle of mezcal in the back seat, vomit all over the front of me, a raging headache, and lipstick on my undershorts, vowed never to drink tequila again.
What ?  Sounds like you found the holy grail of tequilas !

I never got lipstick on my undershorts from my tequilas.   undecided

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Favorite Tequila?
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2006, 07:38:28 AM »
Sauza Tres Generaciones is my favorite. I don't find tequila to be that harsh and I usually take it without a lime or chaser.

I recently tried that brand myself.  Wife bought it + same brand margarita mix for a party.  Of course I had a couple shots.  I was pleasantly surprised.
After the move to VA I fully intend to splurge on a liqour cabinet and begin trying a few more.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”