Author Topic: Network Wiring Test Software  (Read 1448 times)

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
Network Wiring Test Software
« on: November 09, 2006, 06:52:23 AM »
Is there a program that I can install on my laptop that would allow me to test cat5-cat6 cables for faults or to test to see if any data being sent to another device thru the cabling is being lost?

I looking an inexpensive way to test cabling without having to buy a Fluke device to do it. Any ideas?
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

client32

• friend
Re: Network Wiring Test Software
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 07:08:32 AM »
I don't know, we have a fluke.

You can download some evaluations of fluke stuff.  Maybe one of them can help you in a pinch.  I don't know of anything else.  But if you find something, please post it.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 09:03:00 AM »
If you know the IP address of the computer on the other end of the cable you can just ping it.

On windows go to start->run, type "command" and hit enter.  On the command prompt, type "ping -n 100 192.168.1.1", except put the actual IP address in, not 192.168.1.1

This will tell you if data is making it through the line.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 10:59:47 AM »
That won't tell you if the wire has a minor fault though...if all you need to know is whether it is connected or not, that'll do...hell, if you can get to Google, you're connected.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 11:50:24 AM »
I'm not sure it would be possible for a software program to gain direct bit-by-bit and wire-by-wire access to the cabling. 

The various software abstraction layers are designed to make direct hardware access unnecessary.  Whether that makes direct hardware access impossible is another question.  I'm inclined to think it would be darned difficult, if not strictly impossible.

Know any hardcore hacker friends?  They'd be able to answer your question.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 12:37:12 PM »
You're going to need to buy a tester.

For basic cable testing I use a Test-Um Resitester. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 12:43:16 PM »
Being able to check wire by wire, etc., is really a function of the network controller. Either yours has that capability, or it doesn't. For instance the integrated NIC on my newest motherboard has on-chip diagnostics that has the ability to give a status of each wire (whether it's shorted or cross-wired, for instance) and estimated cable length. This information can be passed on to software, but only because the controller is capable of doing so.

But even the NICs that can do this can only do very basic tests. If you're going to be making any large quantity of cables, a tester would be a good investment. Cheap ones start at a bit under $100 I think, and go as high as you want to spend.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 12:53:59 PM »
I think Fluke are the best!

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 11:38:18 AM »
I think Fluke are the best!

-C
I do too but they cost $$$$-$$$$$. I was hoping a software solution would be cheaper. It looks like the Test-Um TP600 will do most of what I need so I will get one of those.

Thanks for all the responses and advice.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!