Author Topic: Recommend me a good scotch.  (Read 2926 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Recommend me a good scotch.
« on: November 09, 2006, 07:11:08 PM »
The wines thread got me thinking - what kind of scotch do you all recommend?  Cost isn't a huge issue, I go though a bottle in about a year, so I don't mind paying up to $75 for a decent bottle.

Right now I'm drinking Jonny Walker Black Label.  I like it, but I'm willing to try alternatives.  I drink scotch straight (sometimes on the rocks) so taste and smoothness are prime considerations.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Recommend me a good scotch.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 07:15:57 PM »
Scotch?  I tried to drink it and tried to like it.  Tried single malt, blended and cask strength.

I'm a bourbon man, couldn't get used to the peat taste.

Give Knob Creek a try instead of scotch. If you not a big fan of oak flavor Maker's Mark is pretty good too.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 07:33:12 PM »
I am a big fan of the 12 year old Lagavulin single malt. Very smooth, not too pricey, and very much a standard very good Islay scotch. They also bottle a 16 year old, but I dont think its worth the price difference as it's not much better than the 12, which is more a testament to how good the younger bottle is than anything.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 05:50:24 AM »
Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, The Dalmore, et al.

Just walk into a liquor store, verify single malt, confirm it is actually from Scotland, and things should be quite drinkable.

The Johnny Walker varieties, Dewars, and Chivas Regal are blended scotches -- some have an uppity phobia regarding blends -- but I have found each to be readily consumable.

As you already have the acquired taste, don't mess with things like Passport, Clan MacGregor, J & B, Scoresby (although it is, by far, the best "cheap scotch") or Cuttysark for your annual bottle.

Cheers!
Zeke

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 06:00:43 AM »
I drink McCallan 12 and Glenfiddich 15 (or is it 16? whichever age is their next step up from 12).  The Glenfiddich is awfully smooth for a $50 bottle of scotch.  The McCallan has slightly more interesting flavors, but not quite as smooth.

I've found Glenlivet, Dalmore, and all of the blends to be unremarkable.  Other swear by them, though. 

Scotch is a personal thing.  The only way to find out which is best is to try 'em all and decide for yourself.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 06:16:50 AM »
Quote from: HTG
I've found Glenlivet, Dalmore, and all of the blends to be unremarkable.  Other swear by them, though. 

You saw what I mentioned first, right [Glenfiddich]?  (The Solera Reserve is a favorite.)

I concur with you theory of trying them all, so I didn't want to limit anyone, except to avoid the trash.

Cheers!
Zeke

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 06:52:24 AM »
If you can find it, Glen Deveron ( http://www.alcoholreviews.com/SPIRITS/glendeveron.html ) is a splendid single malt.  It is what was got me stated on Scotch Wiskey 10+ years ago.

Day to day is The McCallan 12 y/o, with The Laphroaig ( http://www.laphroaig.com/ )  for special occasions.  At this years Longs Peak Scottish/Irish Highland Festival in Estes Park CO. I had chance to sample The Balvenie Single Malt ( http://www.balvenie.com/ ), VERY nice, even when drunk from a 30 ml plastic cup.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 08:01:47 AM »
I had an unfiltered *blended* scotch that was better than 99% of the single malts I've had.
But I prefer Bourbon to scotch.  Heck, I prefer bourbon to anything.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 08:49:40 AM »
But I prefer Bourbon to scotch.  Heck, I prefer bourbon to anything.

I like that answer!

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Preacherman

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 09:11:47 AM »
I don't know whether this would qualify as good Scotch, but considering the effect it had, perhaps you should look for some?

http://www.americanmafia.com/Allan_May_10-4-99.html

cheesy
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 03:28:46 PM »
I *much* prefer Tullamore Dew to scotch. But, many years ago on a trip to the country of origin of scotch I found a bottle of Sheep Dip. Now, being a person who grew up thinking sheep dip was a waste product made by sheep, I thought it would make a good conversation piece, which it did. Surprisingly, it also made a pretty good beverage for drinking.

bob

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 04:34:57 PM »
I prefer Glenfiddich among single malts, but as noted all real Scots SM's are good.  Bourbon, however, is superior.  Non-American blends are a mixed bagged.  The Canadian ryes are good.  Watching "The Thing" always makes me want J&B, but then I have some. 

Lee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 06:17:23 PM »
Is there a bad one?

Freedspeak

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 06:43:47 PM »
 Depends on what you like in a scotch, I like the Langavulin (sp) (my wife calls it campsmoke in a bottle), Calo Isle is nice and salty, but as a good all round drink Famous Grouse is quite nice.

Personally I like both good burbon and good scotch (niether blended!).

Chuck Dye

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 06:57:13 PM »
I concur with the recommendations for single malt and well aged.  I like the Lagavulin 18, the Glen Morangie, and a couple of the unlabeled family reserve I have been privileged to sample.

For a contrast, sample some of the older Irish single malts:  malt whiskey without the peat smoke flavor.  Actually, the 12 year and older blended Irish whiskeys are quite good, too.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 09:51:58 AM »
"Is there a bad one?"

Every one made.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 11:10:01 AM »
"Is there a bad one?"

Every one made.
Ignorance comes in many forms...

Tongue

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 12:43:24 PM »
No such thing as a bad single malt scotch; just different.

Just make sure it is genuine single malt scotch.

Oh, and the most important part is get a good cigar to go with it.  Nothing better than a good single malt scotch, an Artuero Fuente of your choice, a beautiful sunset, and a little peace and quiet.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Chuck Dye

Ah, thank you Mr. Irwin! You are ever the gentleman.
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 03:17:05 PM »
One of the many stories told of Sir Winston Churchills wit places Sir Winston at some party or reception or another when a woman (Lady Astor?) was described to him as a "teetotaler," abstaining from all alcohol, but not a prohibitionist demanding that all abstain.  Churchill harrumphed and said,

"Good!  More for us!"

slzy

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2006, 04:38:17 PM »
after the first shot or two your taste buds go numb. start with haig and move to paint thinner.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2006, 05:03:43 PM »
I used to prefer Dalwhinnie and Talisker, Don't drink much hard liquor any more, no particular reason, just don't.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2006, 05:05:09 PM »
People have mentioned Laggvulin but I am surprised no one mentioned the better known Laphroig, one of my favorites.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2006, 05:22:35 PM »
People have mentioned Laggvulin but I am surprised no one mentioned the better known Laphroig, one of my favorites.

I didnt mention it because it is a pretty specefic taste. Unless a person states that they like Islay scotches then I would be hesitent to recomend Laphroaig simply because it might turn them off single malts in general if it isnt their thing. I like it myself and always have a bottle of their 10 year old in my cabinet, but Lagavulin is an easier introduction.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2006, 06:38:48 PM »
The important thing to remember is none of them are pronounced the way they're spelled.  It's something one can only understand after drinking the bottle. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2006, 08:10:05 PM »
"Is there a bad one?"

Every one made.
Ignorance comes in many forms...

Tongue

Yep, packaged as people who think that scotch actually tastes like anything other than dolphin vomit in a bottle...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.