Author Topic: APS QUICKIE Recipe Thread!  (Read 2960 times)

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
APS QUICKIE Recipe Thread!
« on: March 05, 2005, 02:18:39 PM »
Heck, we've been up for almost a whole day or so now, so it's time for an APS recipe thread!  Post your QUICK recipies! ( 20 minutes or less)

Can be anything, any meal, snack, appetizer, or whatever.  Here's mine:

Broccoli walnut stir fry

Make rice (water, rice).
Heat up 2-3 TBSP sesame oil in a big pan
Chop up 1 cup of walnuts pretty fine and toss 'em in the hot oil.
Add some fresh ground pepper too.
Chop up a head or two of broccoli while the walnuts are cooking ( 3-4 minutes)
When the walnuts start turning brown, toss in the chopped broccoli.
Toss in a tablespoon or so of water, cover, cook on low. ( 2 minutes or so, then turn off heat. Stir a little.)
Now chop up a red pepper.

If you've timed it right, the broccoli/walnut stuff is done at the same time (or a little before) the rice.  Put rice in bowl, put broccoli/walnut on rice, top with chopped raw red pepper.  Voila!

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 02:25:44 PM »
Four  slices of wheat bread
1 bananna
1 apple
Peanut Butter

PB on the bread, slices of bannana or "smush" up the bananna, "very thin" slices of apple. Slap the two pcs of bread together.

Repeat for second sandwich.

Everyone knows [tm] if you cut sandwich diagonally - you have bigger halves.

*wink*

spinr

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 02:33:54 PM »
4 slices white bread.
Duke's mayo thinly spread on each slice of bread.
1 medium/large tomato sliced generously.
Couple pieces of 'mater on bread w/ a little salt & pepper.
Add a slice of 'merican cheese, sometimes Swiss if I'm gamey.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 02:54:49 PM »
Large Styrofoam cup.
Can of Pork&Beans
3 Cheap Hotdogs .

Dump beans in cup, alternate with "pinched off" pcs of hot dogs. Nuke. Grab Spork and eat.

Yeah I know they make Beans & Wieners....these are better, more to eat, and one can add BBQ sauce, jalapenos, onions, ....

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 03:00:34 PM »
For Supper tonight....

"Welcome to Popeyes..."

Yes Ma'am , the 4 pc combo meal with Corn on the Cob, and that Chocolate Cake dealie"

" What type of drink Sir? "

RC

"Oh - I know you, welcome back -*grin*-  you want the un- sweet tea or the Coke?"

I only went 'cause I need the stick from the Corn to punch out Trigger Guard pins...honest.

*wink*

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 03:02:06 PM »
See what's in the fridge that isn't condiments.

Chop it into small pieces.

Put a coupla ts of ghee in a shallowfrying pan.

Throw it in.

Crach 2-3 eggs into pan.

Stir slightly intil solidified.

flip.

Add cheesze.

Why can't I see what I'm tyiping?
Blog under construction

Taurus

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 03:25:42 PM »
Fresh ground sirloin
Fresh whole garlic
Sweet onions
Green or red pepper
Ragu Traditional and Hunts
Food processor

Mix 2 large jars of Ragu Traditional with 2 cans Hunts tomato puree and
bring to slow simmer.

Peel garlic cloves, grind, and collect the juices with the food procesor.

Mince some sweet onions and add to the garlic juice.

Pour this mixture into a bowl of ground sirloin, stir around and make meat balls.

Toss meat balls into sauce and let slow simmer for about 1 hour. Then dice some green or red peppers (or both), add to the sauce, and continue to cook for an additional 1/2 hour.

Pour over spagetti or make meat ball subs.

A lot of cooks like adding oregeno, but I never got much flavor from it.
J. D. White

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 03:30:35 PM »
See what's in the fridge that isn't condiments.

Chop it into small pieces.

......snip.....

Add cheesze.

Why can't I see what I'm tyiping?

my guess is food poisoning.  

Wink

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 04:31:39 PM »
Brown some ground beef.  Drain it.  Pour in some BBQ sauce and mix it up.  Put on soft rolls for sammiches.  About 5-10 minutes.  BBQ Sloppy Joes...kinda.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

spacemanspiff

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2005, 04:37:37 PM »
okay this one takes about 30-45 minutes....

take boneless/skinless chicken or pork, thawed, dip in whisked egg, coat with breadcrumbs. toss in oven at 375 degrees, bake until done.

cook a pot of rice, when rice is done, mix in some canned or fresh veggies of your choice (peas, carrots, mushrooms, etc) or a can of cream of mushroom soup.

throw a bunch of broccoli in steam cooker.

an alternative to the rice is mashed potatoes. try putting a can of coconut milk in once its cooked up. a nice different flavor.
Wear a Yellow Armband!

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2005, 05:49:09 PM »
Toasted Cheese Sandwich.

Fritos and Bean Dip

Drink a can of Snap-e-Tom's

Yogurt - Key Lime Pie for me.

Vienna Sausage Sandwich with a slice of tomato.

Corn Dogs - Nuked

Apples, Pears, Cheese , Ham slices , and Crackers.

Summer Sausage , Venison Sausage , Crackers , Pocketknife.

York Peppermint patties. The "Bites"  in a bag are addictive....

Bag Salad.  Caesar or Spinach for me.  Dump in salad bowl , snag a fork and eat.

Taurus

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2005, 07:50:04 PM »
Here's another:

Does anyone like smokin' their foods? Chef Williams Grillin' Kit is very good. You get honey bacon BBQ, creole garlic (my fave), and lemon butter garlic. I tried creole garlic on a 3 lb pork tendrloin ... My God! it was delicious. The lemon butter might be tastiest with fish.
J. D. White

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 03:29:48 AM »
Well, its about 10 minutes of prep time, but the cooking takes a little longer than specified.

Beer bread:
2.5 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1.5 teaspons baking soda
1 teaspon salt
1.5 teaspoons sage
12oz beer (warm)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Grease and flour a 9 inch loaf pan, mix all ingredients, bake at 375 for 50-55 minutes.

Kharn

Outrigger

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 03:34:19 AM »
I love chicken!
Needs: Boneless chicken breast, jar salsa, bag-o-shred cheese, rice
Put breast in oven safe pan, pour on salsa, bake 325º for 30 min. make rice, chicken on top of rice with nice salsa sauce from pan, top with cheese, YUM

doczinn

• friend
Re: APS QUICKIE Recipe Thread!
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 07:22:41 PM »
Yep, time for this one to come back from the dead, too!

Quote from: sm
Drink a can of Snap-e-Tom's
That stuff makes the best Bloody Marys....
D. R. ZINN

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 09:47:06 PM »
20 minutes or under is pushing it for any recipe that takes longer than about four lines to write down.  My favorite recipe to make in that amount of time requires three or four burners going at once and a lot of practice to get it done in 20 minutes, but here it is anyway.  (Note: I almost always make this as a half-recipe and it still makes two huge servings, or three-four normal person servings.  A full recipe would definitely feed a family.)

Chicken with Pasta Carbonara:
1-2 lb of chicken (Depends on if you want a chicken dish or a pasta dish.  Any cut of white meat is fine, I'm lazy and usually buy the "chicken for stew" package they have at the deli, already cut into little skinless chunks)
1 lb of bacon cut into 1-2 inch strips (use the kitchen shears if SWMBO isn't looking.  I've been cooking in various women's kitchens for years and have never found a use for kitchen shears that doesn't get me yelled at.  Apparently they are purely decorative, and so much as lifting them out of the cutting block will dull the edge.  Also, don't get the low sodium stuff.  This is not a health food recipe.)
1 lb of pasta (whatever you like, I use regular spaghetti)
2 cups cheese (A good parmesan or romano is preffered, mozarella or an italian blend is fine too)
3 eggs
1 medium sized onion, chopped (I usually use white or yellow)
Butter
Milk
Parsley or chives (Or anything green really.  No one ever notices.  I like fresh basil or chives, personally, but the person who taught me the recipe says parsley.)
Pepper
Salt
Garlic salt

1) Start boiling the water immediately--salt the water if it makes you happy.  Put the bacon in a pan on low heat.  You're aiming for the bacon to be done at the same time as your pasta, so keep that in mind when you pick the heat.
2) Cover the chicken in garlic salt and the green spice of your choice and toss in a frying pan with a little butter.  I use medium heat.  When the chicken's done, you can set it aside, it doesn't come into play until the very end.  Also, if you can only have two burners going at once, the chicken is a good thing to make ahead of time.
3) Sautee the onion in a little bit of butter or olive oil if you like.  Low heat, salt, pepper.  It's done when it looks tasty.  This is also a good one to do ahead of time if you can only have two burners going at once.  I like em yellow, a lot of people like them lightly browned.
4) The water should be boiling by now, so toss in the pasta.  It's a little early to flip the bacon, but if you like to keep your hands busy, go for it.
5) In a small bowl, beat the three eggs and put in a little bit of milk.  Dump a lot of the green spice of your choice in, a bit of pepper, and maybe some salt if you think the recipe needs it (although, with the garlic salt on the chicken and the bacon, it usually doesn't.)
6) At this point, the chicken's been done, the bacon's flipped and on its way to done, and you're really just waiting for the pasta to boil.  Now's a good time to pour yourself a drink.  You've earned it.
7) Once the bacon's done, go ahead and pour *almost* all of the grease out.  Remember when I said this was not a health food recipe?  As for the bacon itself, take it out, dry it, crumble it, or leave it be, whatever makes you happy.
8) People like to do all kinds of crazy things to pasta after they drain it.  Don't do any of them.  If you poured cold water on the noodles you have just ruined the dish, in which case it's time to pour another drink and call up Domino's.  At least you can save money by getting a cheese pizza and putting the bacon and chicken you just cooked on it.  Idiot.
9) Dump the drained pasta into your serving dish, or if you're not fancy like that, the pot you cooked it in.  Remember that bacon grease?  Dump it in next, with the bacon itself--you want a thin glossy coating on your noodles, but not so much grease that there's a puddle of it at the bottom.  Stir.
10) Dump in the chicken and stir.
11) Dump in the onions and stir.
12) Dump in the egg mix and stir.
13) Dump in the cheese and stir.

If you did everything right, the heat of the pasta and grease is enough to cook the egg mixture and melt the cheese.  The end result should be a weird kind of goopy clearish-white sauce that is very tasty.  If you didn't do everything right, or if the chicken cooled down or something like that, go ahead and plate it anyway.  Get everyone out of the kitchen and turn on some dinner music louder than it should be.  Pop the plates in the microwave for about thirty seconds, and if the music is loud enough, no one will ever be the wiser.

Pour another drink, enjoy your dinner, and don't plan on making it any further than the couch tonight.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 04:51:16 AM »
What if its got a quick prep time and a long cook time?
1 pack drumsticks
1 pack thighs
couple bottles of your choice of BBQ sauce
couple carrots, sliced
1 onion, sliced diced or however you wanna cuter up
'bout 6-10 red 'taters, cut into 1/2" pieces

Dump it all into the crock pot.  Cover with BBQ sauce.  Mix so that there's no air pockets.  Cook 4-6 hours on high.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 09:14:36 AM »
1 weenie or cooked sausage of choice
1 tortilla (wheat if you're into healthy eating)
1 pat cream cheese
handfull shredded lettuce
Emeril's Essence seasoning
picante sauce (not that New York City stuff, either!)
----------------------------------------------

Nuke weenie for 30 seconds
Spread pat of cream cheese across tortilla
Put weenie on tortilla, nuke for another 10-12 seconds
Sprinkle lightly with seasoning
Put on handful of lettuce and roll into a wrap
Enjoy with picante sauce

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 09:34:19 AM »
Pick up phone.

Accept dinner invitation from Mr. & Mrs. Mtnbkr

Drive.

Eat.

Be abused by Daughter Mtnbkr.

Go home and salve wounds.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 09:43:44 AM »
1). Remove frozen pizza from box
2). Heat pizza
3). Eat most of it, and forget about the rest of it for about about a week
4). Eat the remainder

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 10:10:44 AM »
Be abused by Daughter Mtnbkr.

Go home and salve wounds.

This kid beats the living crap out of you!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2006, 10:16:37 AM »
"This kid beats the living crap out of you!"

Yes, yes she does.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

proud2deviate

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2006, 10:54:40 AM »
*All ingredients, amounts, and methods are variable depending on the whim of the cook.*

Onion (White, yellow, red, doesn't matter. Sliced, chopped, whatever. Half, one, seven, as many as you like. Preferably peeled. . .)

Fat (butter, bacon grease, other rendered animal fat, olive oil, peanut oil, castor oil, mink oil. . .)

Tomato product (I like dried tomatoes, peeled. You could use tomatoe sauce, tomato paste, fresh/canned, crused/chopped. . .)

Pasta, preferably cooked (I like a linguni, personaly. Any pasta will do; longer is better IMO.)

Salt, or salt product (Onion salt, garlic salt, kosher salt, seasoned salt, sea salt, epsom salt, salt peter, double salts. . .)

Garlic, preferably peeled (minced, grated, chopped, pure-ayed, roasted, toasted, or flom-bayed. . .)

Meat (I like chicken breast, sliced strip-wise. You could use beef, pork, buffalo, beefalo, venison, veal, emu, squirrel, or a clubbed baby seal. . .)

Acid (I like lemon juice.)

Water, or savory water by-product.

Obtain skillet (or other flame-resistant cooking apparati. Pot, pan, wok. . .) Heat skillet to a reasonable degree. Add fat. Melt fat, if solid fat is used. Add onion and salt. (maybe a little water at this point,) Saw-tay to desired doneness (preferably more than raw, less than carbon.) Add tomatoes and garlic. Cook more. Remove from skillet, and reserve. Add more fat to skillet, and cook meat to desired doneness. Add onions and tomatoes back to meat. Cook more, to desired consistency. (I like it thick and oily.) Add acid to taste. Toss with pasta, serve.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2006, 10:56:58 AM »
1. Select can of Campbell's Chunky Soup.
2. Open.
3. Pour into microwave safe bowl.
4. Nuke for 3 minutes.
5. Remove soup and set on counter.
6. Pour beer while soup cools.
7. Consume soup and beer.
Zeke

mfree

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2006, 11:08:21 AM »
Hrmm.... hot dogs go from the refrigerator to the toaster oven on the dark toast setting, that usually gets'em perfect.

Pasta? a tablespoon or so of oil and one of salt in a "big pot" of water, bring to boil, toss in spaghetti, turn off, walk away for ten minutes... I'll usually have Prego italian sausage and garlic sauce or maybe white clam sauce, can't remember the brand but kroger has it in a can. I'll throw in half a can of whole pitted black olives if I'm feeling frisky.

Breakfast? I don't do this so much anymore but I'll crack a couple eggs into a muffin tin and whirl'em a bit, then toss a couple frozen sausage patties in another cup of the tin, throw them in the oven and turn it on 350. Usually by the time I'm out of the shower they're done perfectly and go great on a toasted english muffin with cheese.

Lately breakfast is a quaker's multigrain "cinnamon toast" flavored rice cake slathered with peanut butter and a dollop of "preserves of choice" on top. I don't know what it is, but that's filling enough to stand on it's own until lunchtime.

Cheap chicken soup with a rinsed can of kidney beans does well.

I've had great luck defrosting chicken by putting it in a bowl of brine/seasonings and nuking it, then letting it sit for ~5 minutes until the chicken's thawed throughout. Makes it killer tender.

McCormick chili seasoning packets are pretty good, can o'beans, can o' diced tomatoes, a pound of browned meat, viola, passable chili(beans). "miracle maize" made cornbread is REALLY good with this.

What else... everything else is a boxed meal or something out of a bag in the freezer... nuked != cooked.

Ah, lentils and split peas... they aren't "quick" but they're the kind of food you can start and walk away from. 1:4 ratio dried goods to water, boil for thirty, add whatever else (usually a chopped up can of ham and some boullion cubes), and you're done. Some prefer to puree the split peas though. Do that and add a can of mixed vegetables, particularly the kind with big chunks and celery, and that's darned good soup.