Author Topic: Funniest mod comments on locked threads  (Read 2478 times)

takhtakaal

Funniest mod comments on locked threads
« on: February 11, 2008, 09:20:45 AM »
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=338840

N.B.: I'm not perpetuating any of the discussion whatsoever.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Funniest mod comments on locked threads
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 02:18:05 PM »
OH, yeah.  I saw that.

"Mini-14!" troll. police
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 02:58:27 PM »
This thread is too stupid to live.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 03:09:01 PM »
What, may I ask, is so bloody difficult to understand when we say "No Personal Attacks"? What? Somebody tell me, please.

Is it the polysyllabic "Personal"?

One more time for the cheap seats:

If you can't debate someone else on this board without using insults, threats, comparisons to whatthehellever Evil Organizations jack your fancy these days, or cute references to mental incompetence, you jolly well go somewhere else. Am I clear on this?

E-mail, PM, or any of the squillions of un-moderated boards on the Internet. Take your pick.

Closed for thread veer, insults, wallowing in the bar-ditch beside the Low Road, and attempted homicide of a Moderator by way of coronary aneurysm.

LawDog

Goodness.

A challenge.

First, this off-topic stuff needs a thread of its own. Like so.

Now.

You don't like it here, take yourself somewhere else.

You don't think I'm fair? Get over it.

You think THR is is an Orwellian power play? Ain't nobody nailed your feet to the floor. Shoo. Vamoose. Git.

It's as simple as that.

The Staff here at THR will decide what consitutes a personal attack - not you.

If you don't like the way we do things, there's the door. Go forth and find yourself a Forum more conducive to you. If you can't find one, billboard/bulletin software is cheap - create your own, run it the way you want.

Now, hook your eyeballs on your monitor and pay attention, because I'm only going to say this once and I don't want any further misunderstandings on your part.

The High Road is not accountable to you. The Staff at THR are not accountable to you. I am not accountable to you.

You have absolutely no right to demand anything from me, is that perfectly clear? You have no right to demand an explanation. You have no right to demand that I do something.

You may, of course, ask for an explanation whatever it is that I am doing that is bothering you, and I will be pleased to discuss it with you.

I do hope this clears up your misunderstanding.

You have a problem with me in the future, send me an e-mail or a PM. Better yet, send one to Oleg Volk: he owns this site.

LawDog
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 03:12:38 PM »
Law Dog is the son of Chuck Norris and Jane Austen.  Which means he totally rocks. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 03:19:06 PM »
Closed for thread veer, insults, wallowing in the bar-ditch beside the Low Road, and attempted homicide of a Moderator by way of coronary aneurysm.

LawDog

That has to be one of the funniest things I've read in several days....     grin
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 03:49:06 PM »
They're all pretty funny, but probably for the 'wrong reasons.' I wish I could remember the term for the desire to exert domain over one's minor turf in the face of having no real power. Not exactly a new phenomenon (see also: cops, lower-middle management), but it's a psychological impulse more visible on Internet forums.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 03:56:09 PM »
Law Dog is my new personal hero/god.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 04:17:37 PM »

So QFT.

"attempted homicide of a Moderator by way of coronary aneurysm."

The man has a way with words I can only wish for.   grin
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 04:21:15 PM »

Oh yeah.  Any chance of getting him to guest mod here for a bit? In the politics side???

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 04:28:04 PM »
What, you don't love me anymore?

No offense to Law Dog, but from what I understand, THR doesn't have a politics section anymore -- it spun out of control.

I like to think that we have our politics section maintaining at a dull roar.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 04:34:59 PM »
Wooderson, it's really okay for you to stop projecting your personal attitudes... Face it - that isn't really all that psychologically a healthy a habit either, is it...

Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 05:10:14 PM »
Yeah, wood.  Sometimes moderating a forum is just moderating a forum.  And have you seen some of the threads over there?  I imagine LawDog's comments were very accurate.   undecided
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 05:33:56 PM »
It wasn't about any mod in particular (I don't even know who lawdog is other than his name here) - I've seen variations of it on every actively-moderated Internet forum. Folks start to take that little bit of power entirely too seriously and think that moderating an Internet forum is, like, an important task. Busybodies and power trippers exist in life, but generally only one or two to a workplace or gun club or whatever. The Internet just allows them to coalesce.

To some extent I can understand 'standards of debate' moderating (though that's always subjective), and when I've been a moderator my standard was advocating violence on one another or illegal conduct that could get the host/owners in trouble. It's the ninnies who pitch a fit about things like posting in the wrong forum that are the worst/most amusing.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 05:53:12 PM »
What, you don't love me anymore?

No offense to Law Dog, but from what I understand, THR doesn't have a politics section anymore -- it spun out of control.

I like to think that we have our politics section maintaining at a dull roar.

Naw we'll keep ya.  In retrospect, it's a nice thing to have less heavy handed mods in the political forum, the recent surge of DU trolls just tries one's patience.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 06:23:11 PM »
They're all pretty funny, but probably for the 'wrong reasons.' I wish I could remember the term for the desire to exert domain over one's minor turf in the face of having no real power. Not exactly a new phenomenon (see also: cops, lower-middle management), but it's a psychological impulse more visible on Internet forums.

Were you born without a sense of humor or did somebody slap it out of ya? rolleyes
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 06:32:44 PM »
there are control freaks everywhere. there does seem to be some tendency towards that with forum mods, especially ones that have been at it for a relatively short period of time (like a year or two).

aps and thr seems to be pretty good about it though. i haven't seen any real offensive moderation, even when posters trip the triggers of some of the mods (like when they point out cops are imperfect). some people seem to deliberately post right on the edge trying to get a moderator's goat. others seem to do it unintentionally. its pretty easy to type something out in a few lines that does not quite give the nuance of what you really mean, and not realize it until much later.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 01:45:33 AM »

Having been on the recieving end of Lawdog and Coronach's wrath on THR, I can concur with their hero-like-ness.......

....and, whatever you do, NEVER insult them in German..... Wink
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 03:43:03 AM »
I've always enjoyed the snarky Mod closings over at THR and also here at APS.   Mr Greebly is one of my favorites.

Take your pick. This thread was closed because:

A) Oh geeze, not this again.
B) It's kind of a dumb idea to talk about breaking the law or throwing a revolution on an internet forum that anyone can read.

Politics is kind of a preoccupation right now, isn't it?

Thanks for being civil.

We'll be closing now.

Please pay at the register.

I see you boys are at it again.

Go stand in the corner.

I swear. Work my fingers to the bone. Day and night. Night and day. And for what? You wait till your father gets home.

I believe the opening topic has been addressed.

Lots of other cool things have been addressed, too.

Some of them were even on-topic!

So, I'm happy you guys kept it civil, but we kinda hafta color within the lines.

And so, as much as I'd like to write my own opinions in this thread . . .

. . . it's closed.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 05:25:28 AM »
....and, whatever you do, NEVER insult them in German

Warum nicht?   Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 06:12:38 AM »
....and, whatever you do, NEVER insult them in German

Warum nicht?   Smiley

The exact quote was "Seig Heil, Gesetz-Hund....."  police

It didn't go over well.......  laugh
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.