Author Topic: An opportunity to meet Oleg's parents  (Read 824 times)

o-daddy

An opportunity to meet Oleg's parents
« on: May 24, 2006, 07:24:36 AM »
My wife and I live in a nice suburban house located in a quiet area just west of Minneapolis. We are looking for an informal hospitality exchange.

We like the outdoors, especially hiking on trails in a forest or along waterfronts. It would be great to find a shelter within 125 miles from Minneapolis close to such natural amenities. The exchange I have in mind should not require long advanced planning.

We could also play a virtual uncle/aunt role to the counterparts kid who is a Twin Cities college student. When our son Oleg was at an NYC college right after high school, we were very happy to have friends who looked after him.

If you live elsewhere in US or abroad please write me too. In this case, we could design an interesting vacation exchange.

I would like to hear about people's experiences with hospitality exchanges and also your opinions about  the student's component.

Disclaimer: this is not a commercial offer or solicitation to take custody of minors Smiley

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 08:42:20 AM »
C'mon, T, we all know you guys support yourselves by white slavery. Smiley

Really, having met both parents several times I can attest they are marvelous people.  A person would be lucky to have sustained contact with them.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 11:37:02 AM »
I'm in concord, NH if you ever find yourself taking a REALLY wrong turn.

I'd share, provided you don't mind a crazy 16 month old, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a rabbit, a wife that just shakes her head is disbelief, and a fruity, cigar smoking husband (that's me).

Y'all welcome anytime.  It's the least I can do out of respect for your son!
One day at a time.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 01:41:26 PM »
Pure Class.
I appreciate your post Sir.

I personally am not in a position myself being single. I can share my personal involvment with exhange students, be they from another country , or as you outlined, being "kept tabs on" while attending College has been rewarding for all involved.

I am an older returning student myself. I have been asked by folks I know to "keep tabs" and assist with the relatives these folks stay with, or if out on their own, just another adult that 'keeps tabs".

Nice to have a safety net no matter where you are. I tease about the "Adopted Uncle" I am - there is a very serious  side to that "Uncle".

A few semesters ago one of my classmates , a lady MD , her and her family took in a young lady from Thailand attending the Private HS the Dr and husband's kids attended. I was asked to tag along at times.

Young lady had never fished, we took her fishing at a farm pond using cane poles. We went into town later and she had the most fun time checking out a small town Mom&Pop Hardware store.  She enjoyed the fishing, she really enjoyed  "walking the town square" seeing the statues, learning the history, and visiting the little stores around it.

We had bought ice cream cones, a little girl with her parents were "watching the square" (sitting  on benches, walk, visit, watch the old folks play checkers...etc.) and had dropped hers , and was so sad, just about to cry.

Young lady from Thailand went over , bought a ice cream cone and made a new friend. Sure did surprise little girl's  parents, ["Thailand?" ]  did not surprise us at all.

I recommend this to folks if they can. Rewards are great!

Steve

o-daddy

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 02:49:45 AM »
Thank you for your responses. It's not that I would see my mission as keeping tab in sense of "to observe carefully"="to be a spy for parents". Rather, it would be a safety net in sense, including providing an occasional opportunity to escape from a "crazy" dorm environment or just not to feel alone in an unusualy large city after being raised in a smaller town or on a farm.