Author Topic: RIM Blackberry the reason our gubermint is dysfunctional??  (Read 1087 times)

InfidelSerf

• friend
I have been using this Blackberry 7230 for several months now.  
My girlfriend bought it and quickly learned to hate it. So I offered to switch phones with her.
What a complete and utter POS

The main problem with it is the bottom button on the side

It's right where you would hold the thing when trying to talk. Only, that is how you hang up on your call.
I loose calls left and right just trying to hold it up to my ear.

It has to be the most inefficient PDA/phone thing on the market.

It's no wonder our gubermint is so screwed up.. everyone on the hill uses them.

I'm curious if anyone else on the board uses one.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
RIM Blackberry the reason our gubermint is dysfunctional??
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 05:46:26 PM »
Air force commanders love them.  They're status symbols.

They also break/lock up quite frequently.

hso

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 07:16:34 PM »
I have to carry one and I don't have this problem. I know where the little button in question is and just don't clamp down on the thing.

I did have problems with the thumb-wheels breaking. I've got quite a little collection of dead Blackberry's on my desk.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 06:13:51 AM »
I've got quite a little collection of dead Blackberry's on my desk
That would explain the 20lots of them for sale on ebay for under $100
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 06:37:09 AM »
"our gubermint is dysfunctional"

And that is bad, how....?   Cheesy
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 08:59:51 AM »
A few people in my (fed.gov) office got them, coincidentally after trips to DC, where indeed "anybody who is somebody" has them, so no doubt as status symbols. One of the three still uses his, but the other two just switched back to regular phones.

Even though I consider myself a techno-geek, nearly a year ago I switched from using whatever the latest, greatest, ultraslim flip-phone was (that I seemed to keep breaking -- I do a lot of field ops), to a brick of an unbreakable Motorola i355. Couldn't be happier. I've also found myself using my PDA less and less and writing more stuff in my Far Side Calendar.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 12:11:25 PM »
It's no wonder our gubermint is so screwed up.. everyone on the hill uses them.

First, our government was screwing up when a computer was a guy with really good math skills.

Second, the Founders set up American government to be grindingly slow on purpose.  If you look at the bugs in a different light, Microsoft becomes a Constitutional tool.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 02:10:42 PM »
Quote from: Antibubba
Second, the Founders set up American government to be grindingly slow on purpose.  If you look at the bugs in a different light, Microsoft becomes a Constitutional tool.
Hahahahahahaha!!!! Smiley

Good point.

Many of my proposed reforms for our government is to increase the deadlock.  Make it dead easy to remove legislation compared to passing it.

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 05:07:20 PM »
I must be the only person without a cell phone.

I used to work in the Main OR and have to tote the "Bat Phone" - the in-hosptial phone as I was needing to be accessed, and access others. Always been a "roving" or "mobile" type. I did have access to a cell phone, never worked, hospital tried another scam...err...company, and it didn't work. I had landlines all over, and used them if need. If really bad, I used a Doctor's personal cell phone [amazing what quality buys over low bids]

Gubmint and Authority? Had a couple of situations serious, and needed Security, or Local LEO. Remember I am in the OR, sterile area, Scrubs or bunny suit.
Bad Boys decided to visit, picked the perfect time during a storm and we were on emergency power, seems they really wanted to visit a "cousin".  This at 3 am and cousin has been in the morgue since 1am.

I block that door with a metal rod thru handles, sneak thru a equip storage area, and well, I was trying to get help, but be quiet about it...
Started tossing saline bottles  [ more like bowling  - sliding ] down the way to where I hoped a guard was...he was, bunny suit brigade (security and one UC LEO, what do I care?) come inside and the rest of security out going after the bad boys.

Saline bottles work better than cell phones IME in an area with lead doors, and other measures.

Doctors and I got compressed air - air horns and coaches whistles, scattered them about and worked out a plan with Security. Added more lights than what provided by Hosptital too.

Just as I have done with folks with kids, and with neighbors, cannot wait for 911 always, alert neighbors in on plan and the kids have Garrity disposable lights around necks and Airhorns . Between sounds and lights folks, especially elderly and kids, can be heard and seen by neighbors and Fire Dept.

Grew up without 911, less Gubmnint meddling, and no cell phones .