Author Topic: taking a road trip...  (Read 6850 times)

TMM

• friend
Re: taking a road trip...
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 12:53:11 PM »
thanks again for all your suggestions. i will ditch the billy club and go for a stout cane, oak or ash or the like.
i'm eyeing the tri-fold German shovel on cheaper than dirt for my crapper shovel.
i'll definately lock the truck cap, but i won't screw with the wiring. if i really feel unsafe, i'll pull a few fuses from the fusebox.
i already have a really old 3D light, not maglight. Gramps gave it to me the other day. i'm going to keep an eye on ebay for some cheap maglights, even walmart is too expensive ($20 for a 3 or 4D)
i probably will get both a credit and debit card.
a digital camera is nice, but it's expensive, and i'd need a more whiz-bang laptop to edit and save them. i'm planning on a POS from ebay.
i DEFINITELY agree with getting off the freeways. you miss far too much...huck, you have the same mentality that i do.
TP goes on the list...
phone numbers of aps'ers is a good idea. when the time nears i'll ask for them. good opportunity to meet people.

~tmm

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 02:57:37 PM »
i was looking at the spare tire the other day, how the hell does it come off?

Should be a hole in your bumper. Might have a lock on it. You stick your jack handle in it and crank it down. Fords have a retarded system in which you put a key that looks like a deep well socket on the end of the jack handle and stick it down the hole.

Read your manual??

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Chuck Dye

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »
Forgot to add:  showers can be had at a price at truck stops and campgrounds, and for free, tho' cold, at many public beaches.  In Oregon, and elsewhere, coin metered showers are available at many public harbors:  $.50 will get the stink off, $2 is a recreational event, much cheaper than KOA or a truck stop.  At truck stops, do not admit to being a four wheeler, some reserve their showers for professional drivers but only when they know you are not a trucker.

Many have made much of having lots of toilet paper.  A good idea, but I would be sure to have a roll or three of good paper towels, too.  The paper towels will substitute, at need, for the TP but TP won't reciprocate.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 04:13:51 PM »
Oh, yeah, paper towels are a necessity. Grabbing plastic utensils, napkins, and condiments at fast food restaurants is a good plan, too. Paper plates and plastic bowls and such is also good.

Are you throwing a grill in the back, too? Or eating at fast food places along the way?

I used a bunch of 35 mm disposable cameras from Walmart. Cheap, durable, easy to use. Only downside is that you can't view the pictures until they are developed, and you have to take them and get them developed...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 05:02:22 PM »
Here's a hint for the camera:
Be biased toward small cameras over large cameras with more doo-dads.

Why?  'Cause if it is too big for you to keep in your pocket 24/7, you will miss your best photos.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Strings

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2008, 06:04:38 PM »
For a decent digital camera, check Evilbay for the Nikon Coolpix L series. A decent L3 or L6 can be had for under $30, shipped (be patient though)...

Another concept for camping showers is the solar shower: basically a black plastic bag that you fill with water and leave in the sunlight for a few hours...

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008, 06:15:57 PM »
going to get a billy club for quick, discreet protection.

Bad idea. Illegal in many states -- including the state from which you'll be starting.

Massachusetts is even worse. I once visited MA. I knew my various CCW permits weren't recognized in MA so I thought I could give myself at least a bit of protection with a cannister of pepper spray.

Wrong.

MA doesn't want its citizens (or the citizens of any other state) to have any viable means of self-defense. Pepper spray is illegal in MA. So is just about anything that might actually be useful to defend against an assault.

You really REALLY need to lay out an itinerary, and then find out what the laws of each of the states you'll be visiting allow. When you get west, don't forget that the various Indian reservations don't necessarily adhere to state law on things like weapons and concealed handguns. Do your homework. It's much to complex to even get you started in an Internet thread.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 06:33:28 PM »
And, TMM, thanks for starting this thread. I am going to follow your example and do this between college and grad school...I'm going to try to finish up early so I can do it during cooler weather, and not the heat of summer. I was planning to do another cross country trip, but just didn't think of getting a camper shell and cot. I guess I am just not used to having a pickup truck at my disposal.

Strings

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2008, 07:33:19 PM »
Hell... I'm starting to lay the groundwork to do this on a motorcycle...

TMM

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 11:52:21 AM »
hey, that's great that this thread has helped you two as well, i hope that you enjoy your trips as much as i hope to!

i'll definately ditch the billy club, and get a stout cane. do you think it's worth it to carry OC spray?

thanks to my Grampa a have a habit of snagging napkins and such at fast food joints, dunkin donuts, etc. i'm never without dunkie-d's napkins in the truck...

paper towels on the list.

i really like my manual 35mm for good-quality photos, since it's very versitile in focus and whatnot, but i might invest in a cheap digital camera, if i get a laptop that can store the photos.

i am planning on bringing a propane or alcohol stove with me, that can cook, grill, etc. Harbor Freight for about $40.

~tmm

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 11:58:21 AM »
but i might invest in a cheap digital camera, if i get a laptop that can store the photos

A stack of memory cards is cheaper, not to mention a darned sight easier to carry.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2009, 04:55:35 PM »
Well yes, I am reaching back a ways, but I was reading posts about a current road trip and realized there has been no action report on this one.

TMM, how did it go?
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2009, 08:30:02 PM »
A credit card with a high limit in case you get stuck somewhere and need to get home in a hurry.

And Like Brad said, AAA.

I've learned the hard way on both of those.

It's also good to have a GPS that knows where the local NAPA is.

I've been to parks and places where you need to pay with exact change or a check. I had neither, but I didn't get caught...

Edit: Just caught the date on the OP. :oops:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 08:53:13 PM by mgdavis »

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2009, 08:45:43 PM »
Ooops!

I should have PM'd TMM
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

TMM

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2009, 09:09:20 PM »
Hey!

was just browsing APS here and noticed this old fossil of a post up on top...

i think i posted a link to my Livejournal blog when i left. it can be found here:

http://themadmailler.livejournal.com/

the first half page or so is dedicated to college stories, because i have since began college. i'm a freshman. after a couple posts i realized that no one except my mother was reading them, which was kind of depressing, so i stopped writing them.

it has been a long while since i have read that blog, but i can assure you that there are some extremely amazing things written in those pages. some things that i have forgotten, and only remember upon re-reading the post...

but if you want a quick summary, it was phenomenal. even more amazing when i look back on it and remember what i did. i traveled 21,500 miles total across the country and back over the course of 4 1/2 months. i met some cool people, an APSer (bigjake... an awesome dude with a wife who can cook a mean potroast... thanks again man!), an ex-vagabond in a sagebrush field whom i had known for years but never met, and a camped with a group of three packed in a small Chevy S10, all with thier own stories involving brushes with the law.

my only problems involved my tires. i blew a 1 1/2" tear across the tread going 50 on pavement, and got a screw stuck in a tire in northern montana. my Tacoma was reliable as all get-out. not a single mechanical issue. i thought my alignment was shot by the end of the trip, but actually in the right front tire, the radials were broken and the tire was bulged out. (i've since shelled out $720 for new tires)

i still have most of my roadtrip stuff in my truck. tools, blankets, cap on the bed. my awesome uncle made me a frame from 2X6's and plywood to put my futon ontop of, which proved to be invaluable for storage and moisture / temperature control. i still have that too, to prevent things from sliding around in my bed. it's all really just handy stuff that's good to have around.

except for when i was in Detroit (the biggest shithole i've ever been to...), i always felt safe. never was sketched out by anyone. people tend to be nice and friendly.

the cherry on top was that the total expenditure for this 21,500 mile, 4 1/2 month road trip was $6000. yea, six grand is a lot for an 18 year old, but i had the money (plus some...i thought it would be more), and if i did it again i probably could cut the price in half without much effort.

to everyone else aspiring to take a road trip: GET OUT OF HERE AND GO DO IT!!! life's too short to put off something like this. i have no idea how many people i met along the way, middle aged, young, old, who wished that they went at some point in thier life. they acted as if they couldn't anymore. if you're alive, you can do it. if you have any sort of money to your name, you can afford it.

i could write a whole book here, really. but i'll keep it to this. take a look at my blog if you feel so inclined, or better yet, get out on the road and see what it's like yourself.

TMM

TMM

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2009, 09:59:16 PM »
ok, so i was just rereading some of my blog... i can't believe i wrote this. it's so amazing. here's one day that i hope i remember to the day i die. i'm glad i wrote what i did, because i forgot the finer points about this trio. it's about the group of three in the S10 i mentioned. i forgot what kind of a man Adam was. inspiring, really, a role model you might say.
------------------------------------------

Nov. 22

Drove into Albuquerque today. I first went to two museums, the National Atomic Museum, and the Museum of Albuquerque. the atomic museum was another small but interesting museum with both peaceful and wartime nuclear technology history. the other one was more of a traditional art museum, with both modern and old art. i liked the more modern art better, finding the eccentric creations more captivating than the oil paintings. After those two, i drove to the Frontier Restaurant that carol had suggested to me long ago. I got a red chile burger and a Frontier sweet roll. my roadfood book had said that the sweet roll was doughey, but i wholeheartedly disagreed - it was sweet, chewey, and moist. the burger was good too, somewhat in the same style of Sycamore's burgers. I left the city on I-40 (the ex-rt. 66) until moriarty, where i headed south. i hadn't gotten as far as i wanted to a national forest to camp, so i went to some campground symbols on my map that were closer. as it turned out, they were in national forest property, but i could only find one of the two campgrounds that had been advertised on a sign, and it was closed. so, seeing no signs forbidding camping, i pulled off onto what looked like a well-worn pullout off the road to camp. since it was getting dark, i made a can of chili. as i was cooking it, i saw a pickup driving slowly up the road, and as i ate, i saw i slowly drive back, and stop on the road near where i was. after a minute, i saw someone walking up to my door in my sideview mirror. I rolled the window down, and said hi to the kid who later introduced himself as Wes. he apparently was in the same situation as i was, trying to find a campsite. he asked if they could camp with me, and i said sure, pull up your truck. The driver pulled up, and the other two occupants came out to say hi. There was Adam, the driver, aged at 28. i later learned he was an ex-felon, a car thief, was wanted for crime in michigan, had kids he wanted to see that were in michigan, and had the lung capacity of an 85 year old because of a lung ailment of his. Amanda was Wes's girlfriend, and she didn't talk much, and didn't reveal any real bad past history, she was just traveling with her boyfriend. Wes was about 18, the same as Amanda. he had a horrible cough that interrupted his words, and seemed to be a bit ill from something. his yellow hoodie sweatshirt was beaten and stained. they made a fire as i ate my chili, and i went out to warm up by the fire. Adam offered me a beer which i accepted and drank with my chili. we all stood or sat around the fire, talking of out own stories and problems. they had been on the road for about 2 and a half months, and wanted to get up to michigan for thanksgiving, and eventually back to california. Adam spoke of how he wanted to meet his kids back in michigan, even though he had a warrant out on him. "my kids are my life," he says. "why the f*** would i go back to michigan otherwise? they'll put me in jail, my truck will be reposessed - but i need to see my kids. F*** my wife, i don't care about her - she left me. But I love my kids to death..." Wes spoke of his own problems, how he did time and kept doing more because he kept scrweing up and couldn't stay straight. Adam's view on life was much more advanced than that of a normal 28-year-old. because of his lung ailment that would kill him by age 40, he saw each day with much more importance, a selfless importance that few people, especially his age, had. The whole group struck me as a very American group, very Grapes of Wrath-like. a group of traveling vagabonds, each with thier own crimes and problems, traveling together to get thier minds off thier problems and sort things out, make a better life for themselves. I really liked spending that night with them.
----------------------------------------------------------------

TMM

PS. to give you an idea of my safety during my ENTIRE road trip, i'd say this was the most dangerous night, because there was a felon and a criminal camping 20 feet away from me. but they were the nicest folk, and minded thier own business.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 10:25:53 PM »
Good to know you made it home man, I was starting to wonder, being that I haven't heard from you in 16 odd months.. :cool:

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 11:20:21 PM »
Was wondering what happened to your plans.

The economy taking a dive has put my plans on ice for now. It'll have to wait.

I really, really have to get back out West. Ever since spending three weeks west of the Mississippi, it's been boring back home. Exceedingly boring.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2009, 11:18:14 AM »
Good to know you made it home man, I was starting to wonder, being that I haven't heard from you in 16 odd months.. :cool:

i called you a time or two after i got back, but it was a game of telephone-tag and i eventually forgot about it...

TMM