Author Topic: Nice to see EMS refusing to cover up  (Read 2108 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Nice to see EMS refusing to cover up
« on: July 18, 2011, 11:39:45 AM »
www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-i-did-something-bad-deputy-arrested-for-breaking-teens-jaw-20110712,0,1051518.story

Kid gets drunk, kid is a belligerent jerk to cop, kid is restrained hand and foot in the back of an ambulance, cop comes in to get his handcuffs back, casually punches the kid in the face and breaks his jaw. Nothing all that unusual so far, but the cop then instructs the ambulance drivers to not say anything and saunters off. I'm amazed he felt so confident in their willingness to lie for him. Wonder how many other people he's done something like this to and had his buddies cover for him, to be so confident in that? I'm waiting for the apologists to come in and say the kid had it coming...

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: Nice to see EMS refusing to cover up
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 11:46:46 AM »
Looks like the only intelligent people in that ambulance was the EMS crew....  Sheesh.  I mean, yeah, we joke about giving combative patients oxygen therapy (an oxygen bottle to the side of the head is guaranteed to calm down the most combative of patients).  But that's just it.  A joke, to vent some steam, usually after the call is done with and we're in the charting room or back in quarters.  

That cop is an idiot.  But hey, at least he got to go home safe that night.....    :P

Also, I can't think of a single EMT or paramedic that I work with that would lie to cover up for the cop in a case like this....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 11:53:13 AM »
I can imagine the cops frustration with a belligerent teen, but there is no way intentionally breaking a restrained person's jaw can be justified.  Happily it seems the rest of the cops agree and things are getting handled.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 12:01:15 PM »
The kid may well have had it coming, though certainly that offers no justification.  He now has coming the pleasure of testifying against the cop in both criminal and civil proceedings and, likely enough, a fat settlement.  The folks who did not have it coming are the taxpayers.

The phrase "badge heavy jerk" somehow seems inadequate.

(For the record, I spent 7½ years babysitting dorm residents on a university campus and have far too much experience with belligerent drunken teens I could not walk away from.)
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 12:10:20 PM »
I'm surprised that they even bothered with an investigation.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 12:16:59 PM »
I'm surprised that they even bothered with an investigation.

A lot depends on the power and wealth of the parents.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 12:17:53 PM »
I absolutely believe the kid was a jerk and out of control and had it coming in the "why I oughta..." sense of thinking about wanting to smack him but not actually doing it. The cop was way on the wrong side of the line here.

In fact in the end, instead of "giving him what he had coming" the cop has probably rewarded him for his behavior. The kid will get the nice fat settlement mentioned above. Then there's a good chance he'll grow up to become a member of the "society owes me" camp.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »
Looks like the only intelligent people in that ambulance was the EMS crew....  Sheesh.  I mean, yeah, we joke about giving combative patients oxygen therapy (an oxygen bottle to the side of the head is guaranteed to calm down the most combative of patients).  But that's just it.  A joke, to vent some steam, usually after the call is done with and we're in the charting room or back in quarters.  

That cop is an idiot.  But hey, at least he got to go home safe that night.....    :P

Also, I can't think of a single EMT or paramedic that I work with that would lie to cover up for the cop in a case like this....

I always used to talk about a few 360 joule shocks from the Life Pak to make people reassess their attitude. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 12:29:27 PM »
what a jerk.  i am glad to see that he admitted it, which allows him to be suspended without pay.  i always figured if an officer were suspended with pay while an investigation were ongoing, that they should pay it back if they are found guilty.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 12:49:23 PM »
I always used to talk about a few 360 joule shocks from the Life Pak to make people reassess their attitude. 

Ya know, those things make taser's look like a 9 volt battery...

Probably one of the funniest defibrillator stories I can think of.  One of my instructors....

He was a brand new paramedic, and they got a call for a cardiac arrest at a golf course early one morning.  Beautiful spring morning, a little mist hanging in the air, and lots of dew on the grass (that last little bit there is *really* important).  They get out there and this guys buddies are huffin' and pumpin' doing surprisingly good CPR on their friend.   My instructor grabs the LifePak 5 (Millcreek, that should tell you how old this story is) and kneels down next to the patient.  He slaps on the paddles, and sees absolutely textbook ventricular fibrillation.   Charges up to 200, yells, "CLEAR!" and hits the magic buttons. 

The way my instructor describes this particular moment in time is really interesting.  He clearly remembers that just after hitting the shock buttons, he found himself in mid air, sailing over the patient, to land in a crumpled heap on the far side of the patient.  His legs hurt like crazy, he had a mouthful of golf course sod, and he vaguely remembers his coworkers laughing hysterically while they continued to work on the patient. 

Remember the dew on the grass?  Well, turns out that enough of the energy of the defibrillator traveled into the damp earth via the contact with the patients back that it set up a significant charge in the ground immediately adjacent to the patient.  Significant enough to cause the muscles in my instructors legs to fully contract.   This in turn launched him over the patient from a kneeling position, causing him to faceplant on the far side of the patient.

Back to the OP....  It sucks that the taxpayers are gonna get stuck with this bill.  I just wish the victim in this case was able to sue the cop *personally*....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 01:42:34 PM »
oh come on, I mean, who hasn't punched an unruly teen in the face while they are totally restrained? :P
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 02:22:53 PM »
Way back in the early 70's when my mother was a medical technician/phlebotomists/lab tech at a local Milwaukee hospital, she saw a new nurse shatter a glass partition in the ER.

She tried to ground the EKG machine to the patient's gurney just as they shocked him.
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 02:57:26 PM »

Clear! [/Zoe]

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 03:16:41 PM »
I'm waiting for the apologists to come in and say the kid had it coming...

I'm not sure he didn't.

However, the cop deserves a lot worse than an extra three weeks of paid vacation and an invitation to seek other employment for being arrogant enough to a) assume the medics would cover for him and b) put them in that situation in the first place.

If the kid's being that much of a problem, make sure you do all the damage you can while he's still fighting.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »
Back to the OP....  It sucks that the taxpayers are gonna get stuck with this bill.  I just wish the victim in this case was able to sue the cop *personally*....

If the givens of the news story are close to accurate, the taxpayers may get off the hook for this one.  The cop's actions as alleged were so far out of bounds and "what an ordinary officer ought to have known about the state of the law at the time of the incident" that he should lose all immunity.  Bet his former employers will be happy to learn that.

Of course we commend the EMS crew for doing the right thing.

But those folks commenting over at the news site?  :O  Usually one would expect a dogpile of cop bashing - but there?  No!  Seems just about everybody was saying how the little scrote deserved it, and his parents as well, and why are you picking on the poor cop anyhow?  Makes me want to travel west and put my thinkbox-adjusting tool to work.  Folks out that way ought to be glad the price of gas is so high - otherwise I might just start driving.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 05:50:39 PM »
My instructor grabs the LifePak 5 (Millcreek, that should tell you how old this story is) and kneels down next to the patient.

I did my training with the LifePak 4: 18 pounds of sealed lead-acid battery goodness. Consequently, my left arm is one inch longer than the right from toting that thing to and fro.

I look at the automated units now the size of a small Sears catalog and just marvel at them.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 06:28:52 PM »
the size of a small Sears catalog 

Some of our younger members may not know what that is....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »
Some of our younger members may not know what that is....

???

It's the fifth choice from the top under "Bookmarks," innit?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 09:19:29 PM »
The Adams County District Attorney’s Office has charged Deputy David Morrow with Child Abuse Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury, Second Degree Assault, Tampering with a Witness, and Official Oppression.
IANAL, but these charges sound as if jail time may result.  =D

Oh, and as for the taxpayers being on the hook . . . police departments often (not always!) reflect the police chief, and the police chief is usually a tool of the mayor and/or city council. Elections DO matter, and if they're paying attention, maybe the voters will be a little more careful about who they elect next time.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain