Author Topic: Wear Gloves at the Lumber Store  (Read 622 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Wear Gloves at the Lumber Store
« on: February 08, 2023, 02:53:21 PM »
I need to drill this into my head. Whenever I'm actually doing a "lumber run" for a bunch of lumber, I always grab the Mechanix gloves I keep in the truck and wear those into the Home Despot or wherever to load lumber. However I often leave them if I'm going to get "X, Y, Z, and a couple of 2x4s".

It never *expletive deleted*ing fails that every time I do that, I end up with a major splinter in a hand from the one or two pieces of wood that I handled. Like this morning - one sheet of plywood and four 2x4s. Extra irritating is that I was cognizant of not having gloves on, trying to be extra careful, and STILL got a splinter that I just now had to remove with a knife and tweezers. It's never a splinter that sticks out a little that I can grab with my fingernails.

First world problem, but still just so irritating, because splinters are kind of like paper cuts: very minor wounds that hurt way more than they should. Anyway, stupid Ben, take your gloves into the store even for one piece of lumber.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Wear Gloves at the Lumber Store
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 03:26:01 PM »
Hey Ben, have you ever considered taking your gloves into the store even for one piece of lumber?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 03:39:09 PM »
It is possible to handle the wood more carefully to avoid sliding skin along the wood (that really sounds bad from the gutter perspective).

Kind of hard to do in practice.  Try gloves.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 03:54:37 PM »
There was a reason I said "lumber" instead of "wood".  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 03:56:30 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 04:12:13 PM »
Hey Ben, have you ever considered taking your gloves into the store even for one piece of lumber?

Brad
Have you ever figured out how many pieces you have to handle while sorting through a stack to find ONE that isn't warped, cracked, or knotty?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 04:13:13 PM »
Better wear two sets of gloves, could be COVID in that lumber
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 04:49:07 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 04:43:45 PM »
Have you ever figured out how many pieces you have to handle while sorting through a stack to find ONE that isn't warped, cracked, or knotty?

Today I think it was 7 to find 4, which I think is par for me. I have had days where every piece I pulled was straight and good.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 05:22:05 PM »
I work with a Hispanic guy who said it is relatively easy to talk them into giving a discount for the reject wood pieces.  It may depend on what you need it for.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 06:07:21 PM »
Today I think it was 7 to find 4, which I think is par for me. I have had days where every piece I pulled was straight and good.
If the lumber is good and straight it means they just cut the bands on a fresh bunk.
By the time you get them home, they will be all warped and twisted.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 06:08:40 PM »
On those times when I forget to wear gloves, I've found that fingernail clippers work well to remove splinters.  If the splinter doesn't go straight in, you can usually snip off a piece of skin containing the splinter without a lot of digging.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2023, 06:22:40 PM »
What kills me is that the same lumber that constantly gives me splinters when I'm loading/unloading it? When I build the stuff I bought the lumber for, outside of Winter I never wear gloves, and I rarely get splinters while working with the lumber.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2023, 06:28:16 PM »
What kills me is that the same lumber that constantly gives me splinters when I'm loading/unloading it? When I build the stuff I bought the lumber for, outside of Winter I never wear gloves, and I rarely get splinters while working with the lumber.

Once they see you cutting up their friends, and putting nails and screws in them, the boards stop trying to fight back.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2023, 06:58:51 PM »
I work with a Hispanic guy who said it is relatively easy to talk them into giving a discount for the reject wood pieces.  It may depend on what you need it for.

If you're building a canoe and need internal ribs, Lowes has all of the pieces you could ever want.

Lowes. Land of the L-shaped Lumber.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2023, 08:14:58 PM »
Why didn't you just call the guy?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2023, 10:52:08 PM »
I really hope you rode your win streak and bought a lotto ticket on the way home.  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2023, 11:07:09 PM »
On those times when I forget to wear gloves, I've found that fingernail clippers work well to remove splinters.  If the splinter doesn't go straight in, you can usually snip off a piece of skin containing the splinter without a lot of digging.

Good hint.  There are two kids of clippers.  The usual concave ones, where the blades curve in, and the ones where the blades curve out slightly.  I think these are toenail clippers and are much more useful to grasp things with.

Has anyone figured out how come nail clippers are always highly polished smooth chrome plated and seem to be designed to be slippery?  My fingerprints are very worn, and manipulating small smooth things drives me boogey.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2023, 02:02:27 AM »
Good hint.  There are two kids of clippers.  The usual concave ones, where the blades curve in, and the ones where the blades curve out slightly.  I think these are toenail clippers and are much more useful to grasp things with.

Has anyone figured out how come nail clippers are always highly polished smooth chrome plated and seem to be designed to be slippery?  My fingerprints are very worn, and manipulating small smooth things drives me boogey.

I do recommend these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TKS5Y3Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E4Y2OTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2023, 12:14:51 PM »
This is why you have kids. Lift with your children, not with your back. Step two, tell them splinters build character.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.