Author Topic: Idea for the bailout.  (Read 3213 times)

grampster

• friend
Idea for the bailout.
« on: September 25, 2008, 03:30:05 PM »
If the government has 85,000,000,000 to bail AIG and 700,000,000,000 to bail out Wall St., thats 785,000,000,000.  So, there is roughly 200,000,000 people in the US of A over the age of 18.

I suggest the government divide the 785 Billion by 200 million and each manjack over 18 gets what...$392,000.00 apiece.  We all pay, say, 35% income tax on that, so the government can keep 274 billion of the 785 Billion making the net payout only 511 Billion. Each person over 18 nets $254,000.00 with the caveat we must pay off every debt we have up to that amount.  Any money left over we could pay cash for whatever we want.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Idea for the bailout.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 03:31:45 PM »
Worksd for me. When does the check arrive?  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 03:35:47 PM »
I think your math is wrong. 

vhinch

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »
Your math is very wrong.  785,000,000,000 divided by 200,000,000 is $3925, not $392,500.
The sights are always aligned, you are out of alignment.

Shoot what you carry, carry what you shoot.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 03:50:02 PM »
A better idea: Why not just give a bunch of people a tax cut, like Newt suggested?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 03:51:32 PM »
Your math is very wrong.  785,000,000,000 divided by 200,000,000 is $3925, not $392,500.

Ditto.

Must be that darn "new" math they're teaching. grin
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 04:00:29 PM »
Oh whats a decimal point, when does the check get here?  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Deer Hunter

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 04:01:38 PM »
Or....

We could simply let these companies die, see them be bought out by larger companies with money, and have the new companies cycle out the admins of the old company and everything's peachy-keen.

Been happening like that for a long time.  People are getting worked up over this for no good reason.  Bush's plan is insanely stupid.  Sure, he may have had the US dodge a bullet when we invaded Iraq (oil to be based on the Euro instead of the dollar? I don't think so, go troops go!), but this plan will not work out the same for us.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 04:01:56 PM »
I'll take 3295.  thats' 80% of my remaining credit card debt from when I was jobless.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Zed

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 04:04:27 PM »
Or....

We could simply let these companies die, see them be bought out by larger companies with money, and have the new companies cycle out the admins of the old company and everything's peachy-keen.

Been happening like that for a long time.  People are getting worked up over this for no good reason.  Bush's plan is insanely stupid.  Sure, he may have had the US dodge a bullet when we invaded Iraq (oil to be based on the Euro instead of the dollar? I don't think so, go troops go!), but this plan will not work out the same for us.

+1
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 04:16:22 PM »
Hey, my math is as good as some of the jokers in congress grin
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 06:35:31 AM »
What's a few zeroes on the end ?

A zero is just nothing anyway  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 07:36:44 AM »

Good math or not, it's a terrific idea....

Another great idea is to dust off the anti-trust & banking laws and start breaking up these mega-corporations that can hold our national economy hostage if the gov't doesn't bail them out every few decades...we saw this nearly destroy Japan, and we need to prevent it from happening here....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 03:58:14 PM »
A better idea: Why not just give a bunch of people a tax cut, like Newt suggested?

quoted for truth, and that plan doesn't involve borrowing a friggin DIME from the Chi Commies.

Archie

• friend
  • Galactic Effectuator
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 03:40:38 PM »
Are all of you posting here unaware without credit the U. S. economy stops?  Not just me or you buying a house or car, but the business that pays our wages depend on short term credit for various things from buying the stuff to sell this week to making the payroll until those sales get collected.

The whole problem right now is not that certain companies will go out of business, but that no money will move.  It is called 'liquidity' and - like it or not, good idea or not - that's how the U. S. economy works.

And don't believe all that crap about this bailout simply lining the pockets of big corporate executives.  What is going to happen is a lot of possibly bad loans are going to be purchased by the government.  That allows the lending companies to start lending money again without the concern of being stuck with a pile of bad debt.

Most of those possibly bad loans will either be paid off eventually, or the houses on which those mortgages are based, will be foreclosed and available for sale at bargain prices.  However, without money available for loans, nothing will be purchased.  Including your house if you want to sell.

For those of you who think regulation is the solution of all this sort of thing, remember this:  All the bad - sub prime - loans that triggered the current financial mess and problem, were the direct result of the U. S. government regulations lowering the standards for giving loans from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and demanding private corporations to make more 'diverse' loans.  Yeah.  Regulation forced banks and lenders to loan money on what were known to be less than likely to repay borrowers.

When banks could decide good loans and bad loans on their own, we didn't have this problem.  It took government (I'll let you all figure out which faction in government pushed for 'diverse' loan policies) to screw up the loan business.
As long as the citizens of the United States own and keep personal weapons, we can argue about all the other issues that concern us.  The instant we lose the ability to keep weapons, our masters will decide all those other issues for us.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 11:42:26 PM »
The whole problem right now is not that certain companies will go out of business, but that no money will move.  It is called 'liquidity' and - like it or not, good idea or not - that's how the U. S. economy works.

And you think the only solution to this is to throw bales of money at people?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wideym

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 01:19:30 AM »
My main complaint is the bailout of investment banking.  There are no guarrante you won't lose money in any investment and if someone tries to sell you a "can't lose" investment opportunity, run away quickly or maybe not if the .gov will pay for the loss. 

Maybe gamblers should presurre the .gov to pay for their gambling debts too.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 03:17:01 AM »

Maybe gamblers should presurre the .gov to pay for their gambling debts too.

I have student loans that keep me from spending money on consumer goods & helping to stimulate the economy....can I get a bailout from the gov't for that, too?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.