Author Topic: Illegal to parody the TSA? HR 3011  (Read 3819 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Illegal to parody the TSA? HR 3011
« on: October 14, 2011, 01:53:54 PM »
http://www.hstoday.us/briefings/today-s-news-analysis/single-article/republicans-push-tsa-authorization-bill-democrats-question-bush-officials-on-tsa-procurement/7527e6798d5a121bd5609382f07ca005.html

This makes it illegal to Pedobear-satire the TSA, make reference to the "Thousands Standing Around," the "Terrorist Sympathy Admininstration," or any of the other multitudes of ways to bring relevant political satire against an extremely unpopular agency of dubious value.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h112-3011

Section 295:

Whoever, except with the written permission of the Assistant Secretary for Transportation Security (or the Director of the Federal Air Marshal Service for issues involving the Federal Air Marshal Service), knowingly uses the words ‘Transportation Security Administration’, ‘United States Transportation Security Administration’, ‘Federal Air Marshal Service’, ‘United States Federal Air Marshal Service’, ‘Federal Air Marshals’, the initials ‘T.S.A.’, ‘F.A.M.S.’, ‘F.A.M.’, or any colorable imitation of such words or initials, or the likeness of a Transportation Security Administration or Federal Air Marshal Service badge, logo, or insignia on any item of apparel, in connection with any advertisement, circular, book, pamphlet, software, or other publication, or with any play, motion picture, broadcast, telecast, or other production, in a matter that is reasonably calculated to convey the impression that the wearer of the item of apparel is acting pursuant to the legal authority of the Transportation Security Administration or Federal Air Marshal Service, or to convey the impression that such advertisement, circular, book, pamphlet, software, or other publication, or such play, motion picture, broadcast, telecast, or other production, is approved, endorsed, or authorized by the Transportation Security Administration or Federal Air Marshal Service;

Yay, Statism!  

This is coming from our Tea Party Congress.

Stop it.  Use your phone.  Use your email.  Use your voice.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Illegal to parody the TSA? HR 3011
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 02:03:37 PM »
It's not saying that.

It is saying you can't use their likenesses if you intend to convey you wield their authority.  IE you can't impersonate an officer or produce materials that lead others to believe said materials are authorized.  This doesn't apply to obvious parody.

Most corporations and legal entities have similar rules.

Chris

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 02:04:47 PM »
TEA Party Congress?  Not really.
Still a bad piece of legislation, though.  I think this is the part that will hang folks that engage in satire of the TSA:  "...or any colorable imitation of such words or initials..."
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 02:07:08 PM »
It's not saying you can't parody them, at ALL

Did you READ the legislation?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 02:11:46 PM »
It's not saying you can't parody them, at ALL

Did you READ the legislation?

Yes, I did.  Did you?

knowingly uses the words ‘Transportation Security Administration’, ‘United States Transportation Security Administration’, ‘Federal Air Marshal Service’, ‘United States Federal Air Marshal Service’, ‘Federal Air Marshals’, the initials ‘T.S.A.’, ‘F.A.M.S.’, ‘F.A.M.’, or any colorable imitation of such words or initials,

Can't use the letter's "TSA" without permission from government.

Even a blatant colorable imitation of such words or initials.

or with any play, motion picture, broadcast, telecast, or other production, in a matter that is reasonably calculated to convey the impression that the wearer of the item of apparel is acting pursuant to the legal authority of the Transportation Security Administration or Federal Air Marshal Service

Movie producers now have to have government permission to create airport sets?

Heck, movie producers don't get permission from city PD's when casting police officers.  And those are actually sworn LEOs.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 02:12:12 PM »
True, it doesn't outright ban parody.  But, IMO, the wording quoted could be twisted by overreaching authority to accomplish the same thing.  However, we all know the .gov never over-reaches or miss-applies the law or regulations.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 02:17:02 PM »
Key phrases

:

in a matter that is reasonably calculated to convey the impression that the wearer of the item of apparel is acting pursuant to the legal authority of the Transportation Security Administration or Federal Air Marshal Service

Come on, guys.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 02:27:21 PM »
Yes, I did.  Did you?

Can't use the letter's "TSA" without permission from government.

Even a blatant colorable imitation of such words or initials.

Movie producers now have to have government permission to create airport sets?

Heck, movie producers don't get permission from city PD's when casting police officers.  And those are actually sworn LEOs.

Chris is right.  Read it again.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 02:28:22 PM »
Chris is right.  Read it again.

Seems all of that has this clause attached to it:

in a matter that is reasonably calculated to convey the impression that the wearer of the item of apparel is acting pursuant to the legal authority of the Transportation Security Administration or Federal Air Marshal Service, or to convey the impression that such advertisement, circular, book, pamphlet, software, or other publication, or such play, motion picture, broadcast, telecast, or other production, is approved, endorsed, or authorized by the Transportation Security Administration or Federal Air Marshal Service;
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 02:34:40 PM »
OK, then why the mention of plays, movies, and other deliberate make-believe fictional portrayals?

There's obviously no intent to portray anyone as a "real" TSA agent.  It's all acting.  Everyone knows it's acting.  So why mention it in the legislation as a potential abuse of the TSA emblems and recognizable insignias?
--Lysander Spooner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 02:36:19 PM »
That part is so that people don't convey that the TSA approves or endorses those items

It's really quite simple.

Read it slowly, digest the punctuation.

"or to convey the impression that such advertisement, circular, book, pamphlet, software, or other publication, or such play, motion picture, broadcast, telecast, or other production, is approved, endorsed, or authorized by the Transportation Security Administration or Federal Air Marshal Service;"
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 02:44:56 PM »
I get what you're saying Fitz.

But look at how much of a hissy fit we've been having for 200+ years over other punctuation:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

or,

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Over 200 years on that one, hashing out gerunds/phrases/parts of speech/comma placement/etc. 

And it still isn't settled.

You don't possibly think this is going to wind up being used to prosecute or intimidate people that criticize what is probably the worst and most useless part of our government?

Ask yourself this:  What GOOD comes about from this bill, versus what ABUSES could come about from this bill?

Every piece of legislation should be weighed by such a scale.
--Lysander Spooner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 02:59:33 PM »
Why shouldn't others be allowed to act as a TSA agent, that is all most of them do.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 04:00:17 PM »
Always read a bill with the worst possible interpretation of the law.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 05:14:10 PM »
The other interpretation is that the TSA is planning to greatly expand its mission outside of airports  =(

Who's going to give any "respect" to the authority of anyone wearing a TSA badge, except a ticket holding passenger going through an airport security line?  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 05:21:40 PM »
Terminally Stupid Azzholes - now lock me up!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 05:35:15 PM »
The other interpretation is that the TSA is planning to greatly expand its mission outside of airports  =(

Who's going to give any "respect" to the authority of anyone wearing a TSA badge, except a ticket holding passenger going through an airport security line?  ;/

It already has.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 07:10:52 PM »
It already has.

They better not try it in Montana  >:D

Geeze, can you imagine how they would freak out over someone open carrying a six-shooter ?   :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

erictank

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 02:21:58 AM »
http://www.hstoday.us/briefings/today-s-news-analysis/single-article/republicans-push-tsa-authorization-bill-democrats-question-bush-officials-on-tsa-procurement/7527e6798d5a121bd5609382f07ca005.html

This makes it illegal to Pedobear-satire the TSA, make reference to the "Thousands Standing Around," the "Terrorist Sympathy Admininstration," or any of the other multitudes of ways to bring relevant political satire against an extremely unpopular agency of dubious value.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h112-3011

Section 295:

Yay, Statism!  

This is coming from our Tea Party Congress.

Stop it.  Use your phone.  Use your email.  Use your voice.

While I don't believe the legislation actually says that, I have little doubt that the Terrorist Support Agency will make every effort to interpret it in that way.  To which I say...

Come and get me, you sorry *multiple expletives deleted*!!!  Go ahead and *TRY* to lock me up for exercising my First Amendment-protected freedom of speech! [ar15]

I have little doubt that they'd *LIKE* to make it illegal to mock them.  I doubt that they have the ABILITY to do so - that's just a little too-blatant a violation of a commonly-respected Constitutionally-protected right even for them to attempt.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 09:45:14 AM »
This law is unnecessary, I'm sure it's already illegal to impersonate a federal official. While on the face if it it seems the law was only intended to cover people maliciously posing as a TSA agent the potential for abuse, as in any law, is there.
Look, tiny text!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 11:28:46 AM »

One way to test the theory is to send postcards and letters to the Thousands Standing Around, with all your favorite parody phrases and images.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 11:32:57 AM »
Two by two, hands of blue